G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please HELP... Engine problem.

+11
Trbulnc
WyldeBill66
bigredlaguna
bracketchev1221
chevellelaguna
ant7377
Roadcaptain S3
Wallyuph
77mali
Joe73
lars
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please HELP... Engine problem. Empty Please HELP... Engine problem.

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Leaving from work last night the Chevelle had been running for about 3 minutes or so. I took off to head to my uncles. I stopped then pulled out on the main road and got about up to speed when it started cutting out. I babied it a bit and it straightened up. A similar thing happened to me in 2004 when my engine blew, but it finally stopped and would not start back. Water was running from the exhaust and so on. This did scare me for a moment, but as it straitened out I didn't think much more about it. I drove it on out to my uncles and it ran great as normal. Also ran great on the way home. My mind was back at ease.

This morning. It is very cold with the windchill in the teens. I start it up and of course I being the slacker I am still have not gotten the choke fixed on it, had to baby it for a few until it would run on its own. I took off and it done fine for about 3 or 4 minutes down the road. After that it started choking out and stumbling. It was like it was running out of gas. It would pick up and stumble repeatedly. From time to time it would run fine. Then it just went down hill. I could barely give it any gas at all and it died about a mile from where I work going up a hill. I was able to get it going again and crawl the thing to work. I go out checked for water out the exhaust and nothing. I check the fuel lines up front which seemed ok. It ran fine at an idle on the way over. I started it back up once at work and gave it gas and it took fine like nothing was wrong at all.

Temp was 190 and oil pressure was 40-60. Please help I am so worried that I have done something to it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Please HELP... Engine problem. Empty Re: Please HELP... Engine problem.

Post by ant7377 Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Sounds like a fuel problem. Maybe your fuel pump is going or what happened to me was the rubber line in back from the tank to the metal line had a crack in it. Kinda did the same thing.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Think it could be the clogged fuel filter or something to do with the choke. I am gonna go ahead and try to switch the carb back over to the 750 from the 600 tomorrow morning and see if I can wire the choke up.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:21 pm

If the choke is open and the car is warm it shouldnt do that. Maybe the needle and seat has something stuck in it. Next time it happens try tapping the front fuel bowl with a screwdriver handle. Are you getting a really rich fuel smell? I think its a fuel delivery problem . Check that line in back.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Is the choke butterfly loose? Like flapping around? Any chance its sucking it closed at slightly higher rpm? At idle the air speed going into the carb is slower.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:40 pm

I think it is loose, but it has always been loose, running it like this since 2003.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:56 pm

ant7377 wrote:Sounds like a fuel problem. Maybe your fuel pump is going or what happened to me was the rubber line in back from the tank to the metal line had a crack in it. Kinda did the same thing.
I had similar problems twice on two different vehicles.  On my '74 the original rubber fuel line over the rear end was dry rotted and sucking air.  On my '85 S15 the rubber hose that replaced the (rusted out steel)  original was collapsing and starving the engine for fuel.  Both times the engine kept running, but nothing (even flooring the gas) would fix it.  On the S15, shutting it off & restarting it would temperorally fix it.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

That is exactly what happened this morning.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:11 pm

In a way I hope that is all it is, but i still hate to have to drop the tank and replace fuel lines. No doubt that will have to wait until it warms back up. Having no garage sucks!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 pm

I had similar problems and it my battery terminals being too loose, well that was the first time. I literally lost all power steering and such. Might as well check?

And I'd definitely replace the cheap paper fuel filter too. I used to lose a ton of power and stall often when stuff in my gas tank ruined the fuel filter.

Then I had similar problems again which I sort-of fixed by changing the EGR valve. maybe it's that.

Otherwise, I'm so sorry to hear, and I've had to limp my car back home so many times, and it truly sucks. Only being able to go about 20 yards before stalling and such.

After my carburetor rebuild my car runs much better too.

lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:45 pm

I will check the battery. I don't think I have an EGR. Also it has a perfermance fuel filter of some kind, but I am still going to check that. I think it actually comes apart so that you can replace the internals. I think I even replaced the tanks internals in 02 or 03. I do have a rubber line running from the pump up to the carb. Could this be an issue at all. It is just a standard rubber fuel line.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm

If theres ethanol in local gas, id be checking fuel lines. Even ethanol rated lines are only good for three years. I go through it all the time with guys in my fishing clubs. Lines will look good on the outside but deteriorated on the inside. But check fuel filters first as well as power to the distributor.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Just went out on my break and it fired right up. Revved up fine. Took it around the parking lot and gunned it a few times with no issues. I looked under it nothing. Can't get under it myself to look closely, but no leaks that I can see. Checked the lines and hoses up front and everything looks ok from the outside. I am trying to get them to let me go home early at 4 so I can check into it further. Forgot to check the cables.

What do you mean about power to the distributor?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Distributor has 12 volts with the.key in the on position. If theres an issue or break in that line tbe motor will cut out.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:27 pm

But how would you test that while driving? The issue only seems to happen after driving it for a few minutes.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Hook up your electric choke, while you're there heck your throttle linkage and also make sure the choke assembly & fast idle cam is not damaged or busted.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:51 pm

What is a fast idle cam?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Watch these:

http://edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/carb-tech-videos.shtml

A fast idle cam is usually part of or near the choke assemblies on a carb. Sometimes the linkage for them breaks and it will affect "butterflies" from operating correctly. Mine broke on my Qjet and the motor would not even start.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:13 pm

A easy fix or try would be to swap carb back to the one I gave you and wire up that choke we have talked about more than ounce. At least you know if its carb or fuel pump then.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:20 pm

If its an HEI, it could be the module going bad. They can work or not, or SOMETIMES they break up and stumble.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm thinking choke problem. Sounds like it does ok after it gets hot? Problem is when it's just starting to warm up right?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 pm

It was hot by the time this all started this morning. I don't think it is the choke. I know how it acts when it is cold and this was definitely different.

I am checking fuel filter, lines and doing a car swap in the morning weather permitting. Don't know if I will have to time do all of that and wire the choke too, but I am going to try. Say a prayer guys. I need this ole girl to keep movin.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Do you see gas or a little seepage around the fuel pump? I had one go bad once and the car idled poorly and was kinda sluggish. Take a look.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 pm

You said you have one of those aftermarket fuel filters...is it one if those clear glass ones? Those are crap, they have a plastic filter in them, they get clogged and the car will do exactly what you're saying is happening.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:13 pm

No it is a chrome or stainless housing. I am not sure. The one I had that I was going to swap it with was a see through glass type one though. lol... Didn't get to do much to it yet. I will probably work on it tomorrow morning since I am off. I have a lot of design work to do so we will so how things go. I will keep you guys posted.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next