G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

70s Era Cars Getting A Little Attention

+13
knightfan26917
Wallyuph
Dinomyte
switchbiker
77mali
pila
Limey SE
fishhead
bigredlaguna
chevellelaguna
dynchel
thatfnthing
sportster_restorer
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

70s Era Cars Getting A Little Attention - Page 3 Empty Re: 70s Era Cars Getting A Little Attention

Post by switchbiker Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:03 am

There's a few guys at work I talk cars with, none of them have a older car, but they all want one. When I get them talking about what they want,I always get a typical responses. 60s camaro's, 60s chevelles, chargers, etc.. I'm so happy to be out of the box, unconstrained by norms and popular expectations. I'm happy to be an outsider, and I'm more than happy to toss money at something I think is cool and make it stand out among the commo car culture.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

70s Era Cars Getting A Little Attention - Page 3 Empty Re: 70s Era Cars Getting A Little Attention

Post by Wallyuph Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:08 am

switchbiker wrote:There's a few guys at work I talk cars with, none of them have a older car, but they all want one. When I get them talking about what they want,I always get a typical responses. 60s camaro's, 60s chevelles, chargers, etc.. I'm so happy to be out of the box, unconstrained by norms and popular expectations. I'm happy to be an outsider, and I'm more than happy to toss money at something I think is cool and make it stand out among the commo car culture.  

I would agree totally with you well put!!!!!!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:36 am

switchbiker wrote:There's a few guys at work I talk cars with, none of them have a older car, but they all want one. When I get them talking about what they want,I always get a typical responses. 60s camaro's, 60s chevelles, chargers, etc.. I'm so happy to be out of the box, unconstrained by norms and popular expectations. I'm happy to be an outsider, and I'm more than happy to toss money at something I think is cool and make it stand out among the commo car culture.  

Amen...... I nicknamed my 73 "the outsider"
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 am

Wallyuph wrote:

I would agree totally with you well put!!!!!!

I think this applies to all of us here. How many of us are actually building / restoring / modifying our cars with the intention of getting our money out of them, never mind turning a profit. Not to mention if you weren't proud of your ride would you belong to a place like this that celebrates these cars?

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:31 am

I think this applies to all of us here.  How many of us are actually building / restoring / modifying our cars with the intention of getting our money out of them, never mind turning a profit.  Not to mention if you weren't proud of your ride would you belong to a place like this that celebrates these cars?

[/quote]

I have lost money on almost every car I fixed up. For me its not the profit its the love of building and driving them. I have been to many shows and won lots of trophy's but the thumbs up at the stop light is still the best thing ever to me. To me it does not matter what shape the car is in as long the the guy is happy with it and what he is or is not doing to it. As long as it's not crushed in for salvage its cool to me.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Every old car, no matter how ugly or "uncool", has fans.

I hear more old men poo-poo about Corvairs, Gremlins, Vegas etc. But the fans of those cars are absolute die-hards. Usually the more derided the car is, the more fiercely the owners love them.

There is a small percentage of folks that for them, old cars are nothing more than a pathetic attempt to be cool and try to fit in. Those guys are permanent high school sophomores trying to be the coolest kid in the cafeteria. They don'y necessarily love their cars, they love the attention and they like to think they are in some kind of elite club. It's really pretty sad when you think about it.

I think most car guys just love cars, regardless.

I love 70s Chevelles, Montes, Grand Prix etc because I spent years riding around in them with good friends having fun. I love driving my Chevelle for the same reason I love rock music. It makes me feel good and brings back good memories. And It gives me something to do besides drinking beer and sitting in front of the TV.

I also love it because it annoys the "cool" guys because I have a better car for A LOT less money.

I promise you I've lost a lot less money on my G3s than these other nitwits have on the big dollar Muscle cars.

I CANNOT imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars on an old car.
Stupid.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Yup you said it. They only love their car. Ever see how when a guy shows up with a similar faster nicer car they cant go kiss A$$ fast enough? Im not blowing my own horn but around where I live there is alot of people with alot of money. These douches are all over the area.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Every old car, no matter how ugly or "uncool", has fans.

Indeed ... which is why we're starting to see some of the "unloved" cars a bit more ... & getting more people interested in them.

It's kinda cool driving something you don't see everyday on the road....

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Fire me up" __ Def Leopard __ 'Pour Some Sugar On Me'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:45 pm

alowerlevel wrote:
ant7377 wrote:Its really bad when you have guys with different gen cars hammering each other. Thats just dumb. You prefer one over the other is one thing but to bad mouth the other gyy is like being a child. Its a hobby. Get over it,right?

Out at the local shows here theres almost always at least 1 person that comes up to me and proceeds to talk down on my 73, but I let them talk then enjoy laughing at them

Usually goes something like

Guy : "Hey this your car?"
Me : "Yep"
Guy : "Why would you waste your money on one of those?  I would never own one of them, your just wasting your money"
Me : "Well I guess its a good thing your names not on the title then"
Guy : "You'll never get your money back out of these cars, the only thing they are good for is demo derby/scrap metal/dirt track/etc"
Guy : "You should have bought a (insert random 64-72 year here), those are worth building, not these big ugly things."
Me : "Like this?" (pointing to my 67 parked next to my 73)
Guy : "Yeah see now thats a real Chevelle"
Me : "I built that one too, in fact Ive owned it since I was 13"
Guy : "Oh, well, ummmm...." then walks away

Its always priceless to see them try to think of something else to say after I tell them that the 67 parked next to the 73 is mine as well.  Kind of hard for them to tell me I dont know what Im talking about at that point

Going to another local show here in NJ in 2 weeks, lets see what people say this time, maybe Ill come back with more funny stories Give Me Beer .   At least I know Ill have the only LS swapped G3 there, hell who am I kidding.....it'll be the only G3 there and probably the only LS swapped car there as well.  At least it wont be another camaro/nova/chevelle on cragar s/s's with a SBC in it
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:45 pm

When and where?..maybe I can boost G3 attendance to 2? Hopefully not the 19th though.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:50 pm

The 20th, in Pennsauken NJ, unfortunately its prob an hour drive from you though  No  
http://www.twp.pennsauken.nj.us/content/pennsauken-car-and-bike-show-0
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Darn forgot we have something on the 20th. I'd make the trip though, if I was free, my car vapor locks instead of overheats Smile
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 pm

I was at a show back in June, and I was pleasantly surprised by how many later model cars were there.
I remember a Disco Z and a smokey-ish(74?) era TA because I talked to the owners of both cars. And one guy had an "Enos" Plymouth police car
They get ragged by the old guys too, and it's funny that they kinda share the same "haha-stupid old man" attitude that we do.
Also saw more than a few 80s Monte SSs Buick GNs and trucks along with some 3rd gen Fs and fox mustangs at shows this summer as well.

The interesting thing is the number of 70s and 80s 280zx and other sports cars I saw this year. I even ran across a guy with a Dodge Conquest at the parts store here in town, if ya'll remember those.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Last year at this show I didnt have the 73 quite finished yet. But there was the usual 67-69 camaros, 64-72 chevelles, assorted street rods/hot rods, some newer cars (mustangs, camaros, challengers, etc) and even a few imports. Im just waiting to see how many paople walk past my 73 and do a double take with it rocking the stock hubcaps and then seeing the 4.8 underhood......
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:53 pm

clanceman427 wrote:Darn forgot we have something on the 20th.  I'd make the trip though, if I was free, my car vapor locks instead of overheats Smile

Damn, would be nice to even see another G3 at a local show lol!
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Just came back from a big show in Lake George NY. Including mine there were 6 Montes 1 Can Am, a couple Chevelles. Might have even been a few more. No Lagunas though. Good to see them. I told a guy with another black 73 Monte about the site too. He just finished it a few weeks ago.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3