G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Autocrossing a Gen 3

5 posters

Go down

Anyone Autocrossing a Gen 3  Empty Anyone Autocrossing a Gen 3

Post by steveshotrodheaven Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm building a SCCA C-Prepared 1976 Chevrolet Laguna S3. Is anyone racing these cars in Autocross? I've never been one to follow the norm. This one is Big Block powered, Tremec 5-Speed Road Race Transmission with a full floater 9" Ford, and 15" x 12" slicks on the front and 15" x 17" slicks on the rear with Wide 5 Wheels and Hubs. I know she'll be a little nose heavy, but with heavy enough springs and wide slicks, she should get the job done.

steveshotrodheaven
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Anyone Autocrossing a Gen 3  Empty Re: Anyone Autocrossing a Gen 3

Post by dynchel Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Not me, but it sounds like you are gonna have fun.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:16 am

steveshotrodheaven wrote:I'm building a SCCA C-Prepared 1976 Chevrolet Laguna S3. Is anyone racing these cars in Autocross? I've never been one to follow the norm. This one is Big Block powered, Tremec 5-Speed Road Race Transmission with a full floater 9" Ford, and 15" x 12" slicks on the front and 15" x 17" slicks on the rear with Wide 5 Wheels and Hubs. I know she'll be a little nose heavy, but with heavy enough springs and wide slicks, she should get the job done.

I did back in college (between 1979 and 1984) through our local car club.  454, THM400, 3.42 gear.  8" Corvette rallys with an LR60-15 BFG radial.

Got the job done, but was definitely an odd duck, out there wallowing around in a sea of Chevettes, Triumph TR6's and other small cars.  Lots of power on tap made short work of U turns around a single cone (there may have been some tire spin involved).

One guy in particular kicked our collective butts.  His name was Neil Hannemann, who later went on to be the Chief Engineer for the Dodge Viper program. Very talented young man.

K

Anyone Autocrossing a Gen 3  Lapeerdrive
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:02 pm

dynchel wrote:sounds like you are gonna have fun.

Oh my yes, seems that way.

~10 years ago, I knew someone who auto crossed one in N Carolina, but I haven't heard form him in quite a while. As far as I remember, he did fairly well & enjoyed having something that not everybody was using.

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I should've done what I'm going to do a long time ago" __ Joel Sonnier __ 'No More 1 More Time'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Autocross is a main reason I'm building my 73' Laguna. I plan on racing in CAM-T w/200 utqg street tires. My car will be more of a street car though when finished.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down