G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seat & shoulder belts

+5
impalamonte
Wallyuph
McCauley5983
thatfnthing
pila
9 posters

Go down

seat & shoulder belts Empty seat & shoulder belts

Post by pila Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:43 pm

I just noticed this add in the current issue of Hot Rod Magazine, for belts for classic cars.

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/

I checked their site....looks like good stuff...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

seat & shoulder belts Empty Re: seat & shoulder belts

Post by builtnotbought Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:53 pm

pila wrote:I just noticed this add in the current issue of Hot Rod Magazine, for belts for classic cars.

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/

I checked their site....looks like good stuff...

Thank you for the link!
I was looking for a new kit of black belts. The price is lower than here http://www.elcaminostore.com/el-camino-seat-belts-lap-and-shoulder-combo-with-plastic-buckles-bench-1973-1977.html
But looks a little different too
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:14 pm

You might also try www.seatbeltstore.com
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:29 pm

thatfnthing wrote:You might also try www.seatbeltstore.com

Thank you!

As I can see Elcaminostore is selling the same belts but without center belt
Elcaminostore 252$
seat & shoulder belts 01-18610

seatbeltstore.com with center belt 280$
seat & shoulder belts 111

http://www.retrobeltusa.com 199$
seat & shoulder belts 210

What kit is oem style and the right one?
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:09 pm

All factory bench seats bolt onto factory seatbelts
Swivel buckets have a different style that bolts to the rocker panel behind the seat
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09 pm

If you are not keeping every thing stock you can just go with a 3 point after market set up. On my 73 stock had the shoulder belt loose and tucked up into headliner. I never liked that set up so I went with a 3 point and put the re tractor inside the rear QTR area. Made a small slit for the belt and used stock hole in roof and there you go. No big bulky re tractor on the floor.
seat & shoulder belts <a href=seat & shoulder belts Img_7110" />

seat & shoulder belts <a href=seat & shoulder belts Img_7111" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Here is my contribution to the subject :

https://www.g3gm.com/t8653-73-monte-seat-belt-update
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks everybody for the info!

My car has only lower parts of the belts on the bench, shoulder belts were cutted off with the previous owner.
I want to change the color of belts to black and if so go with 3 point. As I understood all these kits from links above are bolt on.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:10 pm

I used belts out of an 83-ish Camaro. Bolted right in.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Thank you for the info about camaro!

I got stuck a little with the belt question when took off mine old coils from the storage box. Coil's metal frame is necessary support for rear bench leg that must be bolted in anyway.

I attached photos of my coil. Hole A is where rear bench leg is mounted, hole B is where coil frame is bolted to the body.
seat & shoulder belts Oaia_210
seat & shoulder belts Oaia_110
seat & shoulder belts Oaia_310
seat & shoulder belts Oaia_410
seat & shoulder belts Oaia_511

If I'm going with new aftermarket belts like these (they have new coil box removed behind the bench with bracket) I must leave old coil frame as I can imagine that new bracket is mounted to hole A too.
seat & shoulder belts 01-18610

So my question is -
Can I disassebmle (take out) old coil from metal frame without damaging it anyway?
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Are you wanting to remove your old coil and insert the new coil in the old bracket. That can't be done. Why not just remove the old coil, keep the bracket for the seat to bolt to, and bolt the new seat belt coil beside the bracket in hole B?
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:22 am

chevellelaguna wrote:Are you wanting to remove your old coil and insert the new coil in the old bracket. That can't be done. Why not just remove the old coil, keep the bracket for the seat to bolt to, and bolt the new seat belt coil beside the bracket in hole B?
Yes, I'm asking about the opportunity of doing exactly what you told above.
But I wonder if there is a way to remove old coil from old bracket without breaking coil in pieces or it is not demountable safely?
Thank you
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:19 am

I wouldn't think that the new coil would be easily removed. And the chances of fitting it into the old bracket would be miraculous.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:23 am

chevellelaguna wrote:I wouldn't think that the new coil would be easily removed. And the chances of fitting it into the old bracket would be miraculous.
No no, you understood wrong)
I'm interested if there is way to remove Old coil from Old braket without damage.
Don't want to spoil it.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:43 am

You can definitely remove the old spool (coil) from the bracket...done it many times. However, you do need to use some caution when removing the end cap that ominously warns "DO NOT REMOVE"...for there is a tightly wound spring under there that will come flying out if you don't remove that cap in a controlled manner (while holding it with your fingers, it must be loosened from it's three retaining tabs and carefully raised just enough to allow the cap to unwind in your grasp until the tension is released). Wear protective eyeglasses just to be safe.

Remove the other end cap and drive the center pin out by rapping it with a hammer on the end where the Warning cap was. If your bracket/spools are rusty/crusty, that pin may have become bonded to the loop in the seat strap that it passes thru and no amount of banging on the end of the pin is going to free it. I know...I've had that experience on a few occasions and ended up cutting the pin with a hacksaw on both ends to free the spool. Of course, that renders the pin useless for any future reinstall.

If you have a source for new replacement belt straps, these brackets/spools can be refurbished. Snake-Oyl in Texas does it...but, it isn't cheap.

Here's a pic of a swivel bucket style spool disassembled (slightly different construction that bench seat).

seat & shoulder belts 7377fl10

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:You can definitely remove the old spool (coil) from the bracket...done it many times.  However, you do need to use some caution when removing the end cap that ominously warns "DO NOT REMOVE"...for there is a tightly wound spring under there that will come flying out if you don't remove that cap in a controlled manner (while holding it with your fingers, it must be loosened from it's three retaining tabs and carefully raised just enough to allow the cap to unwind in your grasp until the tension is released).  Wear protective eyeglasses just to be safe.

Remove the other end cap and drive the center pin out by rapping it with a hammer on the end where the Warning cap was.  If your bracket/spools are rusty/crusty, that pin may have become bonded to the loop in the seat strap that it passes thru and no amount of banging on the end of the pin is going to free it.  I know...I've had that experience on a few occasions and ended up cutting the pin with a hacksaw on both ends to free the spool.  Of course, that renders the pin useless for any future reinstall.

If you have a source for new replacement belt straps, these brackets/spools can be refurbished.  Snake-Oyl in Texas does it...but, it isn't cheap.

Here's a pic of a swivel bucket style spool disassembled (slightly different construction that bench seat).
Thank you very much for the info!
I invented one more way of solving this - welding new brackets for the bench + new belts, and selling old belts in working condition.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down