G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question

+2
Dinomyte
Joe73
6 posters

Go down

Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question Empty Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question

Post by trudust Mon May 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been searching and searching and can't find anything about this, or I don't know what exactly to search for.

I had my front driverside tire blow on the highway and when it did, it damaged the 6 inch (estimate) piece of chrome along the bottom of the door. This is a piece of chrome that is riveted(?) and double sided taped onto the bottom of the door panel.

I've searched for 'kick panel', 'rocker panel', and 'chrome door trim' but can't seem to find anything on it. I've seen the door skin repair panels online, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for (or is it?).

A. What is this called? B. Can I find a replacement anywhere? C. If no OEM replacement, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a noob question.

Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question CiGBxJA

trudust
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question Empty Re: Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question

Post by Joe73 Mon May 11, 2015 6:33 pm

I dont believe that part is available in the aftermarket. There should not be any double sided tape holding it on. There should be "rivets" protruding from the door skin and plastic tabs about 1 1/2" wide by about 4 1/2" tall slide onto the rivets. The chrome part is held on by the top and bottom edge of the plastic tabs.
Someone on the board should have a pic of the rivets and the tabs.
You will have to find someone selling the chrome trim.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question Empty Re: Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon May 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Commonly referred to as "lower rocker moldings, lower door moldings, lower fender/qtr. moldings, etc".  Very hard to find a decent used set...and, good luck finding NOS ones.  No repros available, either.  

Here are your GM Part Numbers for LH side moldings:
- 6258029 (Lwr Fender)
- 8707758 (Lwr Door)
- 8706509 (Lwr Qtr-Front of Wheel Opening Molding)

There is a NOS Lwr Qtr on e-Bay right now for $90 (plus shipping).  

Last edited by Mcarlo77 on Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Here is what's supposed to hold them on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LOWER-WIDE-MOLDING-TRIM-CLIPS-CHEVELLE-MALIBU-EL-CAMINO-73-74-75-76-77-/371325486853?hash=item5674b94705

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by trudust Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you, if anything, at least I have an idea now for what I'm looking for and where to get it. I was just quickly looking behind it, it's not double sided tape, it's the white brackets that I saw.

trudust
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue May 12, 2015 9:01 am

Just an FYI, I gave up looking for this about a year ago after 5 years.  The only set I ever saw was on e-bay and sold for about $1200. That was all 6 pieces NOS still in the packaging with clips.

There was a company that made a "reproduction" but it was a chromed piece of metal stuck on with 3M adhesive and didn't have the contours that OEM moldings do so it wouldn't fit right at the front or back.

Last edited by Dinomyte on Tue May 12, 2015 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue May 12, 2015 12:09 pm

That piece is stainless steel, is it not?

Depending on how badly damaged it is a good stainless guy might be able to repair it. I've got a guy local to me who is a miracle worker if you get desperate.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue May 12, 2015 2:30 pm

If it's badly mangled and you can't find anything, I could probably get you one to get by.  Would have typical "road rash" (you know...where it looks like it was scoured by a sand blaster) and some shallow dings/dents/creases.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sun May 24, 2015 12:26 am

Saw this one today, will be going back this Wednesday

Door Kick Panel / Rocker Panel / Trim Panel Question 20150523_091454
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by trudust Thu May 28, 2015 3:38 pm

Big thanks to Orange Juiced for keeping his eyes peeled for me while he hits the yards. I need to make an edit to my post however. I was posting without thinking and accidentally posted that i needed driver's side rockers. I'm actually in need of passenger side front and door rocker panels.

trudust
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down