G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

91-96 B body swaps

+5
Limey SE
dynchel
ant7377
bigredlaguna
brownbomber77
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

91-96 B body swaps Empty 91-96 B body swaps

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Refresh my memory...rear end with a little tweaking, LT1 and 700r4 with EFI harness etc is pretty easy right?
Some front suspension parts swap as well?

I only ask because there are Imp SS, Roadmasters and Caprice Police cars laying around all over the place cheap and I'm thinking about grabbing one for later projects. My buddy just bought a house with three pole barns...heheheheh.

BTW...CT 73-77 section is officially dead. Posted a question this morning looking for whoever did the rear swap from the 9C1 a few years ago...no responses. I tried posting a few things recently just to participate. Very few responses.

FB is killing the forums. That's a shame 'cause ya ain't gonna find archived info on FB.

Forums have become the newspapers of the car hobby.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

91-96 B body swaps Empty Re: 91-96 B body swaps

Post by Limey SE Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:01 pm

BrownBomber77 Did one here Bobby
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:22 pm

I've done two, actually....ha. The rear end bolts in no problem as long as it's from a sedan, not wagon. I haven't hooked up a parking brake yet but another guy on here has. I have a tool to redrill the axles perfectly OR take them to a machine shop OR get axles from the 89-90 Caprice only.
Spindles 78-94 will work with factory ball joints, 94.5-96 must use the "metric" ball joint which fits in the hole, just a little different taper. Gives you 12 inch brakes. To avoid redrilling the rotors, use 89-92 (I think) 1LE rotors from the Camaros, they have the 5x4.75 bolt pattern.
I have a set of metric spindles that I blasted and painted gloss black, PM me if you would like them.
Otherwise, I know nothing of the engine/trans/computer swap and honestly, you're better off using, and someone has done it before, an LS1/4L60/80E swap. You can even just pull the harness and computer from a truck, too.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks!
I don't know what I'm going to do yet, nothing til fall. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I had a 96 Imp SS and that car was cooooool. It was pretty quick and drove great.

I thought the LT motors were a better fit? I've been looking around at various builds and it looks like the sometimes the LS require a lot more mods to the car, like notching the frame.

That being said, I haven't found many builds where anyone was dropping an LS into a G3 except a 74 pro-touring Malibu...his looked a tough, complicated job, but the guy used a lot of different parts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fls1tech.com%2Fforums%2Fconversions-hybrids%2F1499645-74-chevelle-malibu-all-aluminum-5-3-swap.html&ei=p912VYmJLMHEogTIrILgAQ&usg=AFQjCNGbW5qwax4zSmD5141KJbw5e9CtTw&sig2=FllD6Yj2Pffa4KLsDY0VcQ&bvm=bv.95277229,d.cGU

Pretty sure Wally put an LS in that laguna, but I can't find the posts yet.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:48 am

Zachary Alcano on the facebook group has done the ls swap. Matt Bullman is another on that group that advocates for that swap. It is my understanding that the CTS-v oil pan is the ticket for frame clearance.

The only confusion on my part is the reports on the quality/fitment of the motor mount adapters from aftermarket suppliers. That part looks simple enough to make yourself if you have the equipment and skill to fab parts.

Of course, I'm sure there are a lot of 68-72 A-body cars that got the swap, and the parts used for those would apply directly to this gen.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:03 pm

B-body gas tank will also fit with minor mods.

I have a thread on here somewhere when I swapped an LS in my 73, Ill have to find it.

edit: Here it is https://www.g3gm.com/t8620-my-73-chevelle-the-outsider-4-8-ls-swap
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Hell that was just a few months ago...how'd I miss that?

That's awesome.

Is that a bbody gas tank or yours? That your brother welded?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Nah that was the stock tank out my 73 that we just threw a sump on.

The plastic b-body tanks are already setup for an in tank pump, which I may be swapping my tank out for one this winter (the looks of the sump hanging down off the tank bothers me more than I thought it would Head Bang )
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:13 pm

I've bookmarked for future reference.

Many thanks.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Sure thing, not too many swaps into these cars out there. Any questions feel free to ask anytime
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Tell you what my buddy just put a ls motor from an 07 z06 in his 64 Buick. That car rips!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:55 am

BTW...CT 73-77 section is officially dead. Posted a question this morning looking for whoever did the rear swap from the 9C1 a few years ago...no responses. I tried posting a few things recently just to participate. Very few responses

FB is killing the forums. That's a shame 'cause ya ain't gonna find archived info on FB.

,.......The funny thing is the three f/b '73/'77 pages that I am on we're all started by members here........
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:31 am

dynchel wrote:BTW.....The funny thing is the three f/b '73/'77 pages that I am on we're all started by members here........

Yea But always reference Back to Here as often as I can on all I am on
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 am

see my write up : https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto

LT1 with 4L60 trans.

96 Impala fuel tank

I just recently upgraded to the 12" brakes with 94' Impala spindles. Will post pics in next couple of weeks.

Rear disc upgrade as well , 11" . Waiting on new SS brakes lines after retro currently.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Some info on the 12" brake upgrades

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=23740.0
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Thanks!
I don't know what I'm going to do yet, nothing til fall. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I had a 96 Imp SS and that car was cooooool. It was pretty quick and drove great.

I thought the LT motors were a better fit? I've been looking around at various builds and it looks like the sometimes the LS require a lot more mods to the car, like notching the frame.

That being said, I haven't found many builds where anyone was dropping an LS into a G3 except a 74 pro-touring Malibu...his looked a tough, complicated job, but the guy used a lot of different parts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fls1tech.com%2Fforums%2Fconversions-hybrids%2F1499645-74-chevelle-malibu-all-aluminum-5-3-swap.html&ei=p912VYmJLMHEogTIrILgAQ&usg=AFQjCNGbW5qwax4zSmD5141KJbw5e9CtTw&sig2=FllD6Yj2Pffa4KLsDY0VcQ&bvm=bv.95277229,d.cGU

Pretty sure Wally put an LS in that laguna, but I can't find the posts yet.

Here is my 74 I did the swap in the gas tank is from a impala so yes it fits just take the tin heat shield off and put them on new project as its a plastic tank.

https://www.g3gm.com/t6142-wallys-74-project?highlight=wallys

This is for sale and I have the seats done in black just not in the car yet.

I also did the swap to my 73 malibu too.
https://www.g3gm.com/t5242-wallys-73-malibu-project?highlight=wallys
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am

Hey fellas,

If I had a shot at a 96 Z28 with a rebuilt LT1 pretty cheap (1500ish) , would that engine and transmission be a better choice than a b-body?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:53 pm

If I recall...the only major diff. in the B-body LT1 and F-body versions... the B-body had iron heads. F-body..aluminum.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:54 pm

impalamonte wrote:If I recall...the only major diff. in the B-body LT1 and F-body versions... the B-body had iron heads. F-body..aluminum.

Pretty sure thats right.

But the upside to getting a b-body is all the other parts that you can use off it on the G3s like rear, gas tank, front brakes, etc. With the f-body all your really able to use is the motor and trans.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Agreed.
The only reason I'm looking at this Z is that it's half the price with 5000 miles on a rebuilt engine. The only Bs I'm finding are beat to hell with 150k plus mileage in the 2-3k range.
The guy says he's moving and needs to get rid of it. If i can pick it up for 1500-ish, it's a no-brainer. Plus, what I'm reading says the Z engine is 275-325 HP vs. the B body is 260 HP or less for the 305s.
He hasn't called me back yet anyway.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Weird its the other way around here, most of the f-bodys are beat up POS's and most of the b-bodys are pretty decent.
BTW 96 f-body was 285hp/335tq, b-body was 260hp/330tq.

Just my 2 cents but if it was me I would use that $1500 to get a 5.3 4l60e dropout, it makes the same power as the lt1 and theres alot more aftermarket support for the ls platform than there is for the lt.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:45 pm

I just got off the phone with the buddy that's gonna help me with it. (which means he has the brains and experience, I'll just be the shop monkey)

He said pretty much the same thing. I'm looking at a 5.3 Vortec out of a 2000 Silverado.

I'm very stupid about these newer gen engines. Trying to read up and learn.

What I'm looking for is which ever goes in with the least amount of pain. I don't wanna notch the frame, don't wanna lose the AC, and I don't want a big jumble of different parts from different cars to keep up with.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Mine was fairly easy, besides the motor and wiring harness I even used some of the parts from the truck the motor came from like rad hoses, throttle cable, and a few other things. I used a cadillac CTS-V oil pan, but would use the holley pan if I had to do it over again. They sell brackets to mount the ac compressors high on the pass side but Im not sure which one you'd need as my car didnt have AC.

I know it sounds pretty complicated but its really not, I put mine in without any cutting, notching or hammering.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 pm

I was just looking back over your build and it doesn't seem too complicated.

The Z28 guy called back around 8 and said he sold it anyway.

I'm reading up on your engine and the 5.3s. I'm leaning toward the LS stuff, but that Imp SS for 3k and the Caprice for 2k are still tempting donors.

There are a couple of 5.3s nearby, but I think they are over priced.

And my buddy is recommending the Holley pan as well.
Did you keep your stock radiator?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Yep stock radiator from the 307, its small but surprisingly it works with just a single 14" (I think) electric fan on it.  But I will be upgrading to a bigger rad and dual fans eventually.

Just for pricing reference, my 4.8 (lr4) was a '00 with 145k on it with all accessories and harness & pcm for $500, and just last week picked up an all aluminum 5.3 from an '04 trailblazer (lm4) with 90k on it with all accessories, harness & pcm for $900 (going in my '67), and a few months ago got an '05 5.3 (lm7) with around 125k on it that was just intake to pan (no accessories or wiring) for $300.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next