G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.

4 posters

Go down

Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.  Empty Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.

Post by 74chick Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:30 pm

So my Mom knocks on my door this morning, waking me for a dead sleep, and said her car ('66 Mustang) started and will not shut off. Lots of bad noise like the starter stuck on. By the time I got to it the car had shut off. Now it will not turn back on. Lights still work but nothing from the key. i did not see any smoked wires. Not sure where to go with this.No  

B.T.W. I hate this car! But, it's Mom's so I'm stuck with it! Otherwise Blow Up

Any ideas you have would be nice. My friends '67 Lincoln did the exact same thing last week to the day. Now I have two of these things to work on. Suspect

Thank You,
Jessica
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.  Empty Re: Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Now, now...let's not be hatin' on the '60's Mustangs! I've got a '67 Cougar XR7 and it's basically the same car...lol! They're easy to work on and parts are readily available.

Okay...first thing I'd do is swap out the ignition switch. They are notorious for disintegrating inside; especially, the aftermarket ones. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to do. I had one go bad on my car and I wasn't so lucky. Melted the harness from the starter solenoid to almost the back of the switch before I could jump out, pop the hood and disconnect the battery cable.

If that didn't fix the problem, I'd be looking at replacing the starter solenoid (over on the right inner fender. Again, not an expensive part and easy enough to do.

Keep me posted.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.  Empty Re: Not a GM but, hope I can get some help.

Post by ant7377 Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Maybe the solinoid got stuck. Try tapping on it with a screwdriver handle
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Looks like a new starter might be in order also.  All that "bad noise" might have been the starter pinion gear stuck spinning on the flywheel/flex plate.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:23 pm

Good point...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down