New from PA: 73 SS L48 4 speed

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: New from PA: 73 SS L48 4 speed

Post by Joe73 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:00 am

My ends were silver when I bought my car in 82. But I dont recall tbe color of the center piece but I think silver as well. The color is argent silver for the pieces, stripes, wheels and centrr caps. Unless the ss is lighter colkred then they would be the darker silver. I just bought 2 quarts of the argent for my stripes and wheels.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 am

Ah so the little center caps are painted argent? Didn't know that.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Yes, argent if you have argent stripes and wheels. Then there is a darker silver color if you have the darker stripes.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:25 pm

ah, so I wonder: let's say I had a white ss, it would have darker silver body striping, darker silver wheels and darker silver center caps, that is known. Would it also have darker silver molded urethane for the front bumper fillers??
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 pm

Yes, darker silver wheels, stripes and center caps. I dont know about the front fillers. Never paid attention to the darker ones.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Heres the darker stripes, wheels and center caps. http://www.g3gm.com/t5458-ss-rims-for-73-chevelle

Have you checked your wheels for their date codes? Stamped on the left and right side of the valve stem. Have to take the trim ring off. Should be a stamped two letter code like XZ and some numbers. Some thing like K13 valvestem 4 XZ. Check each one and if you have a rally spare. What do you have??
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 pm

I just checked all 5 wheels and they all have this:

K12 8 valvestem 23 XZ

Now on the non-original centercaps, they all are marked with 352933 on the inside below the bowtie, and then CAV-5 on two of the caps, while one has CAV-6 and another has CAV-8

Any decoding to do on the trim rings?
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:05 am

clanceman427 wrote:
SSTOOLMAN wrote:Hey that car looks familiar... Mine is a 350, has AC and auto, no vinyl top, black interior. I have one rim that matches yours for the spare tire. My front bumper filler is red like the upper part of the car but it might have been silver when original, I have seen them both ways.

On my car it appears that the urethane(?) material or whatever it is for the front bumper material was molded in the silver color. So maybe over the years some repaints occured and painters/ owners elected to paint those pieces body color, which I think looks sharp personally. I would doubt if it was molded in color, that it would have been anything but silver, otherwise the factory would have needed all the factory colors in that mold.

Back in 1981 when I owned my 1st 73 SS it was black with the silver stripes, the front bumper filler was black and I am pretty sure it was original but I was the 3rd owner and only drove it for 1 1/2 years before I went to a 79 Camaro Rally Sport 4 speed. When I got my current SS I was missing the 3 piece front bumper fillers. I got 2 used ones off ebay (both silver) and a NOS center piece (a harder plastic?) from a member here. it was a off white color. maybe the silver color was supposed to visually match/blend into the bumper because I have seen both silver fillers and color matched on non SS Chevelles
There were a lot of different optioned SS cars my black one had tilt wheel with the 4 spoke steering wheel round cluster/no tach with idiot lights and a bench seat. Go Figure
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:11 am

clanceman427 wrote:Cool, I got pictures to work! Here are a few interior shots and the Canadian Documentation:

how/where did you get the original documentation? what was the cost?
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:32 am

If your car was built in Canada you can go to www.vintagevehicleservices.com and order the documentation. My cost was a little over $75 US dollars.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 pm

$75 ... doesn't sound too bad for that....cool.

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Funny how a melody sounds like a memory" __ Eric Church __ 'Springsteen'
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:38 pm

clanceman427 wrote:I just checked all 5 wheels and they all have this:

K12 8 valvestem 23 XZ

Now on the non-original centercaps, they all are marked with 352933 on the inside below the bowtie, and then CAV-5 on two of the caps, while one has CAV-6 and another has CAV-8

Any decoding to do on the trim rings?

Cool Deal !! You also have the correct 73-74 XZ (2 year only wheel code) wheels. I believe that code would mean your wheels were manufactured August 23rd, 1972.

If you know anyone who needs another set of (5) date code matched wheels, let me know. I have a set. I'd even trade them for a clean stock hood.

I never heard of any decoding of trim rings or center caps.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info on the wheels, I suspected they were original, that is great news! OK, I was under the car today, trying to find a partial VIN stamp on my Saginaw trans, and the only thing I found was a stamp right below the side cover that is R2K03. Anyone here that can decode that? I did see on another website that the R is Saginaw, 2 is model year (which would be 1972 which is wrong for my car), K is a code for July, and then the day (3rd of July)

If that website was wrong, and it was year of manufacture (1972) then this WOULD be correct for my car, and make sense since by car was built in mid-September 1972. Anybody know for sure?

Also, looks like the backup lamp switch is mounted to the 1-2 shift lever instead of coming off the rear-most lever which is reverse. I had a Saginaw from a 1975 Monza and that one had the switch mounted right beside the reverse shift lever on the side cover. But then again that whole housing looked different with the torque arm mounts on the tailshaft and such. But on my Chevelle the mounting ears on the trans for the bellhousing are wider at the bottom vs. those at the top. I thought the bolt pattern was basic rectangle, not 2 bolts wider at the bottom?
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:43 pm

WOW Joe I wished I was closer I would take you up on that Swap of hood for wheels
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:57 am

Limey, that would be cool. I've had these listed for 100 bucks for months now. Figure someone would want (5) date matched wheels for a camaro or nova. But no bites.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 am

clanceman427 wrote:Thanks for the info on the wheels, I suspected they were original, that is great news! OK, I was under the car today, trying to find a partial VIN stamp on my Saginaw trans, and the only thing I found was a stamp right below the side cover that is R2K03. Anyone here that can decode that? I did see on another website that the R is Saginaw, 2 is model year (which would be 1972 which is wrong for my car), K is a code for July, and then the day (3rd of July)

If that website was wrong, and it was year of manufacture (1972) then this WOULD be correct for my car, and make sense since by car was built in mid-September 1972. Anybody know for sure?

Also, looks like the backup lamp switch is mounted to the 1-2 shift lever instead of coming off the rear-most lever which is reverse. I had a Saginaw from a 1975 Monza and that one had the switch mounted right beside the reverse shift lever on the side cover. But then again that whole housing looked different with the torque arm mounts on the tailshaft and such. But on my Chevelle the mounting ears on the trans for the bellhousing are wider at the bottom vs. those at the top. I thought the bolt pattern was basic rectangle, not 2 bolts wider at the bottom?

Since your car was built in Sept 72 (and mine the 1st week of 73) all our parts were obviously produced in 1972. So anything with a date code would be from 1972.

Everything sounds correct as for the date codes on your Saginaw. You have a september 72 buillt car and the trans built in July 72. As long as the parts are built before the car, and the serial numbers match, your good. They say parts should be built within "about" 3 months of the build date of the car. In rare occasions a part can be within about 6 months depending if it was a poplular option or not, or if they were phasing out that part.

As for the bolt pattern size, my chevelle came with a Muncie. Muncie and Saginaw trans can interchange. And yes the bolt pattern is wider on the bottom. All years of Muncies and Saginaws are a bolt in interchange.

I dont know how the reverse light is supposed to hook up to a Saginaw.

Do you have the factory reverse lock out linkage from the trans reverse lever to the bellcrank to the steering column? I'd like to see a couple pics of how it hooks up and I'd really love to get some tracings of the actual parts. My car came with the bracket on the brake proportioning valve but not the linkage.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:50 pm

No problem Joe I took pics with my phone today, just need to upload them on my computer tonight when I'm back from the In Laws
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Here are some pics Anthony:

clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Sorry Anthony, meant to attach this one as well:

clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:36 pm

VEry cool, thanks for posting. You should keep pics of everything before you take anything apart. Thats as original as you can get.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:07 pm

]Today I got to drive my Chevelle for the 1st time! Man that was fun. I needed to install a complete exhaust system, replace the trans mount, battery, alternator, and fix some vital electricals like brake and signal lights, not everything works yet but the vitals do. Took it for a spin around my neighborhood, got it up to operating temp, and then drove a couple miles to the gas station to fill up. Car drove nice, it's got power steering, and power brakes so that is nice. I love the quicker ratio steering, the hot rod I had before this car was a 64 Buick Special Deluxe with original power steering that was over 4 turns lock to lock. And the BUick had 4 wheel manual drums, which are a different animal, although I had a 4 speed manual in that car too so it wasn't too bad with downshifting.

Big plus was that the gas gage works and reads full when full, and pretty much empty when empty. Temp. gage worked as well, looked to stay around 200 F on a sunny 85F day. I liked the pep the car had, granted for just a stock L48 that hasn't been tuned or worked thru. I think with the 3:42 rear gears that's the key to it, it was a nice amount of pep, and the Classic Exhuast is nice an quiet with ths stock manifolds.

There is a pretty bad shudder on clutch release for all the gears, 1st being worst. I'm pretty sure it needs a clutch overhaul. So I'll do that soon.
Overall nice first shakedown drive Smile

clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:09 pm

clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Nice work. I've had clutch shudder or chatter some people call it ever since I bought my car in 82. But I only have it when taking off. I've changed everything through the years except the harmonic, crank and rods. I'm hoping this time around with new everything it will be smooth.
I dont downshift my cars to slow down and stop. I figure its easier and cheaper to do brakes. Although it does sound cool.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Very Nice Buddy
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks Anthony.

I did some troubleshooting last night on electricals. I already knew the neutral safety start switch was jumpered, now I know why. It appears the 2 male terminals on the side of the switch had broken off. I'll have to buy a replacement switch eventually. I also found my back up light switch doesn't work either, gonna try to replace that now.

Inoperative tach and dome/courtesy lights are next for me to figure out.

The under dash wiring looks in really good shape, it's just those couple things that really got corroded like the B/U switch for example. Plus anything else that might have been tinkered with by a previous owner.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum