G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

original paint wipes clean then clouds over

+3
77cruiser
Joe73
Keith Seymore
7 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

original paint wipes clean then clouds over Empty original paint wipes clean then clouds over

Post by clanceman427 Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:41 pm

original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0518original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0516original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0515I realize my original paint is hammered after 42 years, but a wierd thing happens when I wipe the paint clean with Simple Green and a paper towel. It actually cleans up, looks nice and red metallic and shiny, then clouds over again and looks dirty again. This happens on the fiberglass areas and sheetmetal areas. Any explanation for this, and any way to keep that nice cleaned up look, or is it only a mirage??

clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

original paint wipes clean then clouds over Empty Re: original paint wipes clean then clouds over

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 pm

The white stuff is oxidation. A little elbow grease with some compound will buff it right off.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

original paint wipes clean then clouds over Empty Re: original paint wipes clean then clouds over

Post by clanceman427 Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Hooray! Any recommendations on compound type / brand? I never worked with compound before, bodywork newbe
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:49 pm

I wouldnt go crazy with a big tub of the stuff or anything. I'd go with some cheap dupont compound in the green can you can get it in walmart.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:47 am

clanceman427 wrote:original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0518original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0516original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0515I realize my original paint is hammered after 42 years, but a wierd thing happens when I wipe the paint clean with Simple Green and a paper towel.  It actually cleans up, looks nice and red metallic and shiny, then clouds over again and looks dirty again.  This happens on the fiberglass areas and sheetmetal areas.  Any explanation for this, and any way to keep that nice cleaned up look, or is it only a mirage??

One point of clarification:  no fiberglass on our cars.  The headlight surround is a cheap die cast "pot metal", bumper closeouts are urethane and (of course) hood and fenders are steel.

The area around the rear tail lights is "plastic" but I think is a injection molded polycarbonate rather than fiberglass.

...unless you've added fiberglass aftermarket components to your car...

Wink

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 am

Around the tail lights is plastic on 74-77 cars. The 73 is a one year only with all steel and usually rots out around the tail lights themselves.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Have you tried some cleaner wax?
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 pm

no but actually I have that in my garage (Mothers), maybe start with that first?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Man thanks again for the rubbing compound tip, I just started farting around with it real quick on the rear quarter panel and the paint is really cleaning up nice for how nasty it looked! You can see where I stopped, I was quickly trying the area from the extreme rear to almost the wheel.

original paint wipes clean then clouds over Imag0627
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:11 am

Nice...go easy so you don't burn it off. Then hit it with some polish.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:18 am

Lookin' good! It's a lot of work, but it will bring back the shine.

When in high school, I did my entire car ('64 Galaxie) with rubbing compound and a polishing pad on the end of my dad's drill. Used a spray bottle to keep it from burning the paint. Extremely messy...but, after many, many hours, it looked practically new. Two yrs later, you wouldn't know I had even done it as the oxidation was back...despite multiple coats of wax.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 am

My '86 caprice classic was the same way except it would only look good for about a month before the oxidation came back.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down