1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

Post by Cammin on Sun May 22, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks for the information. Next question for you folks... I pulled the cylinder heads off and found that the driver's side cylinder head gasket was leaking into the #7 cylinder. Surface rust has set up on the bottom of the cylinder wall. Scaping with fingernails didn't pull the rust away. I sprayed it down with WD-40 and plan to pull the engine for further investigation. Any recommendations for removing the pistons without causing too much damage? BTW, no ridge at the cylinder tops.
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:09 pm

PIcked up an iron manifold (3965577) for $10 at a yard sale. What recomendations do you have for removing or covering rust in the intake ports? As always, slow but sure...

Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:23 pm

I found a correct 4-bbl manifold on a '75 Laguna that I took and had hot tanked. It was much greasier than this one you show, however. Turned out pretty good; although maybe only 90% of the rust was removed. Good enough for me. Google this and you'll find recommendations ranging from sandblasting to hot tanking to electrolysis to molasses dip. I was concerned about sandblasting thinking it may be hard to get all the grit out of the insides. Did you get the "turkey pan" with it?
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I found a correct 4-bbl manifold on a '75 Laguna that I took and had hot tanked.  It was much greasier than this one you show, however.  Turned out pretty good; although maybe only 90% of the rust was removed.  Good enough for me.  Google this and you'll find recommendations ranging from sandblasting to hot tanking to electrolysis to molasses dip.  I was concerned about sandblasting thinking it may be hard to get all the grit out of the insides.  Did you get the "turkey pan" with it?

No luck with the pan, but I got this link as a recommendation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcL_vHODkc
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Finally got black lugs nuts that fit the wheels (thanks for info) and it is now sitting on the ground with 4 tires that hold air, for the first time in many years.

Up next, I will replace the rear wheel cylinders.

Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:25 pm

The more I see these threads with el camino's the more I'm wanting one. Great job and keep on.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Damon23 wrote:The more I see these threads with el camino's the more I'm wanting one. Great job and keep on.

Thanks for the encouragement, let us know when you find one. Smile
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am

Quick update: I've been offered a free, running 350 (fully dressed) if I pull it. So, I'm planning to make the short drive to pick it up within the next month. Will update with photos at that time.
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:43 am

I love the pics,these cars are really built well,lots of thick steel,thats why so many still exist.
Wont be many cars built after 77,will still be around in 40 years.
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:30 pm

The day of reckoning is finally approaching...
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Im pretty sure a Prius will never be a classic. Not even If you wait a 100 years. I have seen a guy that have been storing and preserving a couple of cars that he bought brand new. After keeping them stored away for 35 years. He finaly thought he had the gold, and he put it on auktion. He did not even get a bid that was near what he paid for it new, let alone 30 plus years of storage. I belive it was a 1975 cordoba limited edition. I have seen that a couple of times. I had a frien that had a European ford sierra xr3i that was a wery expensive car when new. He did not drive it more than 1000miles over a periode of 25 years, beliving he would have a payday someday. He Barely broke even when he sold it. So just drive it and enjoy.
Hs1973
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:40 pm

That's the plan. Cool
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Much like life, this project has taken a few turns lately.

The engine I was planning to use is in approximately the same condition as mine, so I'm planning to pull mine and perform a re-ring rebuild; new cam, lifters, springs, gear drive, thinner than stock head gasket to raise compression a bit, etc.

I've been following along with Sloppy Mechanics (http://www.sloppymechanics.com/) since the turn of the year. Next, I found Project Joe Dirt (https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/365277-Project-Joe-Dirt-86-Monte-Carlo-SS-LSx-5-3-T70-Megasquirt-II) and I really like this set up.

So my plan is to rebuild the current short block and start acquiring parts for a 4.8L turbo build...
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:34 pm

The words Prius and Classic sure don't go well together, do they !!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm

pila wrote: The words Prius and Classic sure don't go well together, do they !!

Truer words were never spoken.
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Limey, the elco in fact has 7/16"standard thread studs, where as the Sonoma has 12x1.5mm metric studs. I have S10 wheels on mine and use the stock Chevelle lug nuts.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Quick update: I've pulled the driveshaft, which I plan to paint and replace the u-joints. I'll be pulling the engine this winter for the rebuild and I plan to have the Camino running by the start of Spring. I'll give updates as the winter progresses.
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Long time coming, but finally ready to pull the engine when time allows. Gave it a Comet and Scotch Brite bath yesterday. I'll update when the engine is out.
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2