G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coil spring interchangeability

+5
thatfnthing
alowerlevel
tropdeprojet
brownbomber77
jerry46765
9 posters

Go down

Coil spring interchangeability Empty Coil spring interchangeability

Post by SonOfTheGrim Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Does anyone have the lowdown on springs and other stuff for our chassis? I am looking around for options on suspension parts like drop spindles, springs, control arms, and other parts and I see that the choice of springs available to us is very slim. I also can't find drop spindles that would be compatible.

I know there are parts out there but (and though this is a future endeavour) I can't afford $1000 for QA1 coilovers. I have seen our cars get nice and low and handle amazingly but I wonder if the older A body springs and spindles would fit.
Another thought I had was that while I had my engine bay apart I got a good look at my crossmember and A arms and was surprised at how they look exactly like my S10's. I wonder if parts would interchange.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Coil spring interchangeability Empty Spindles

Post by jerry46765 Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 am

Spindles from Summit:http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1974/make/chevrolet/model/malibu/part-type/spindles?N=4294950312%2B4294951398%2B4294950343%2B4294945825&PageSize=100&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=spindle
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Coil spring interchangeability Empty Re: Coil spring interchangeability

Post by alowerlevel Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:26 am

Most b-body parts (caprice, impala ss) will work.  And the front upper & lower arms, springs and spindles are the same as 2nd gen fbody(70-81) per the hollander interchange manual.  

Also theres more and more companys out there starting to make aftermarket suspension parts for our cars, check out

http://scandc.com/new/catalog/49
http://www.globalwest.net/1973-77chevelle-elcamino-montecarlo.html
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=379
http://www.detroitspeed.com/1973-1977-A-Body-products/1973-1977-a-body-products.html
http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=18/mode=cat/cat18.htm

Last edited by alowerlevel on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:29 am

My buddy used IROC springs to lower his 77 Cutlass Salon almost 2 inches. Looks badass

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:59 pm

I used 4 coils 2 inch drop from Springtech at a good price. You can have it in blue or dark grey!
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 pm

This is great information; exactly what I was looking for! You guys are awesome.

So I have been looking around at impala/caprice parts thinking they'd be pretty cheap compared to everything else but DAMN that stuff is expensive! $450+ for a set of spindles?! $250+ for springs?! I guess the market is more for chromed and bagged cars and those guys get pricy.
Then I looked around for camaro stuff but it's all performance upgrades so more $$$. I'm looking on craigslist for some deals but nothing yet. The good thing about the F body stuff is that there is plenty of it around.

I may not be saving any money by getting non-A body parts in the end. Oh well, just a thought.

I did look into SpringTech but couldn't find a direct site and the sites I found with their products didn't have anything for my car.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Maybe they are no more available. I found my bill from 2014. They was sold from Suspensionmax on eBay for 179$ for the four sets.74-75-76 chevelle lowering spring.
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:56 am

What are you looking for? Drag racing, handling, or just replacement parts?
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:31 am

I'm not a racer but I do want to improve handling and to work on the boat feeling that my El Camino had (since I've never actually driven the chevelle) and I like low but not stupid low.

I have to ask: I was looking around Google and found a few things about using Jeep springs on earlier chevelles? Is that right?
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 am

Maybe you also want to read this thread if you haven't already: www.g3gm.com/t6388-dse-lowering-springs-thoughts
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I read through that thread. Very good info about springs and lots of good pictures to give a good idea of what you are getting. I think that this picture in particular is a perfect stance.
G3NUT wrote:
BK-75 wrote:Anyone using Detroit Speed Equipment lowering springs (F-2 in/ R-1.5 drop) that can provide me with some real world feedback.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Dse Springs rides nice not to stiff.
Coil spring interchangeability A20thu10
Almost too low but not. Those are also bigger wheels than I have so my fenders wouldn't be that full. Seems like that is 2" front and 1.5" rear.

I also found a thread on another Chevy site that suggested that any earlier chevelle rear springs would drop the rear of our cars by 2". Can anyone confirm this?
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:05 pm

I would get a Moog part number for an earlier chevelle from RockAuto.com.

Then go to http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/suspension/coil-springs
left side of the page and click "coil spring specs". Its a PDF file.

Then find that Moog part number and compare it to other part numbers. All the specs on all their springs are right there and easy to find.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Ok so I did go to Rockauto.com and found those part numbers BUT it turns out that rockauto links to all of Moog's specs in their [Info] popup. So I just found the springs for my car here and the springs for a 1972 Chevelle here and it turns out they are in fact basically exactly 2" shorter than our stock springs. The spring rates are comparable. Load rate is a bit less.

That is something I think alot of people would like to know. Now I just need to look through all the front springs for a similar find and I'll be in business!
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Ok so I found these and had to ask about them- click
Anyone ever used these on anything? Pretty sure it's an off road type of thing.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:05 pm

I experimented with a set of 2nd gen rear springs in my 73 it sat kind of low.but you couldn't put anyone in the back seat. It would bottom out.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:54 am

I was wondering about that with the lower load rating, making it too bouncy or springy in the back.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:13 pm

i got the 68-72 abody rear springs with 20x10 rims it set the back down an inch im using two inch drop hotchkis springs on the front for a second gen camaro looking to get the hotchkis stock ride height rear springs for the 68-72 abody to match the spring rates rides well now just want amore sportier feel out back. also the stock sway bar that bolts into the bottom of the control arms is a weak link i ripped all four bolts so i would definetly recommend the newer style caprice rear sway bar or the aftermarket side mount. also i have the 95 impala rearend in right now too and everything has fit perfectly
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down