G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap.

+13
Limey SE
fasrnur
alowerlevel
99B4C
73ss
thatfnthing
Hawk03
knightfan26917
Joe73
chevellelaguna
G3NUT
2fat2fly
pila
17 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Empty Re: '76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap.

Post by Joe73 Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Cool. I like the.mirka stuff as we
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Empty Re: '76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap.

Post by DaveFury Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:02 pm

A couple pics of the new rear coils, air shocks and Spohn adjustable upper control arms:'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Susp_010'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Susp_011

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:16 pm

DaveFury wrote:
knightfan26917 wrote:Holy cow, Dave ... that progress is AMAZING!

You're not that far from me ... I'm in the Elgin area.

Thanks. I was in Elgin this morning to pick up more primer.  Installed the new fenders today and block sanded the entire car for the first time. I'll post some pics, probably tomorrow.

Dave W.

Ha ... small world!

Where in Elgin did you get the primer?

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic  (awaiting new owner)
"Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree" __ Elvis Presley __ 'Blue Christmas'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:16 am

knightfan26917 wrote:
DaveFury wrote:
knightfan26917 wrote:Holy cow, Dave ... that progress is AMAZING!

You're not that far from me ... I'm in the Elgin area.

Thanks. I was in Elgin this morning to pick up more primer.  Installed the new fenders today and block sanded the entire car for the first time. I'll post some pics, probably tomorrow.

Dave W.

Ha ... small world!

Where in Elgin did you get the primer?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/

Auto Body Toolmart
2545 Millennium Dr.
Elgin IL, 60124

They have a will call window.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Ha ... yes.  Kinda thought that's where you went ... applied for a job there a couple months ago ... interviewed a couple of times, but no dice.

"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" __ Elmo'N'Patsy __ 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:32 pm

knightfan26917 wrote:Ha ... yes.  Kinda thought that's where you went ... applied for a job there a couple months ago ... interviewed a couple of times, but no dice.

Yeah, I've been buying body shop supplies from them for the last 5 years now. We had a Car Quest that mixed paint and sold PPG and DuPont products right here in town, but hey closed around 2010 so I had to find another supplier. I usually have them ship my orders, but I ran out and needed some primer for that weekend.

Cutlass progress update:

This week I blocked sanded the entire car again, this time w/ 240 grit. It is getting really straight and flat. I won't post any pics 'cause it looks the same as it did last time.

Merry Christmas to all!

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:30 am

Merry Christmas, Dave ... progress is progress.

& cool about the place here in Elgin.  Maybe I'll see your car around during 2016's cruising season.

"May your days be merry and bright" __ Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby __ 'White Christmas'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Did some minor chassis work today. I already replaced the upper arms w/ adjustable Spohn arms but the stock lower control arms were quite rusty, just about rusted thru and the rear 3/4" or so sway bar was in my opinion an bit anemic. I opted to install a set of '96 B body lower control arms and 1" plus Impala SS rear sway bar. I had the parts department at work order the control arm kit, it was like 46 bucks and included both lower arms, (4) control arm bolts w/ nuts and all the hardware to install the sway bar. The bushing sleeves are .160" longer than the 73-77 A body arms and the bolts are bigger, so the holes in the rear diff housing and the lower control arm frame brackets needed to be drilled oversize and the bushing sleeves shortened .080" on each side.

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0212
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0211
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0213

New lower arms and Impala SS sway bar:
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0214
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0111

New rear Cragar SS wheels and P275/60R15 BFG tires came in today, the fronts are still in UPS la-la-land somewhere

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0210
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0110

This weekend I might do the final block in 400 and probably start putting some color on the panels in the weeks to come, stay tuned.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Coming together nicely
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:16 pm

LOOKS KILLER Dave ...... I found in my toolbox some Bumper fillers from my old 77 do you have all yours ?? I think they were rears side ????

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:05 am

Limey SE wrote:LOOKS KILLER Dave ...... I found in my toolbox some Bumper fillers from my old 77 do you have all yours ?? I think they were rears side ????

Yup, I have 2 sets of rears actually, thanks.

Dave W.

Last edited by DaveFury on Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 pm

sweet I forgot I had these and when I was putting tools away in Toolbox I found them

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:52 pm

The front wheels and tires showed up today:

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0215

Startin' to look like this one:

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 76_cut12

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Air shocks in it? Looks like its coming along great. Just wondering are the Cragars exactly like they were or did they change at some point just a little? They seem different now.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Looking wicked Dave! Love the Cragers!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 am

ant7377 wrote:Air shocks in it? Looks like its coming along great. Just wondering are the Cragars exactly like they were or did they change at some point just a little? They seem different now.

Yup, air shocks w/ adj. upper control arms to keep pinion angle in check. The wheels are the same diameter, width and offset. the tires are not the same brand. I had Widetrack Radials on the high school one, which was a Farm and Fleet sold brand. I think The BFGs have a little more rounded tread to sidewall transition.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

chevellelaguna wrote:Looking wicked  Dave! Love the Cragers!

Thanks!

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:00 am

ant7377 wrote:Air shocks in it? Looks like its coming along great. Just wondering are the Cragars exactly like they were or did they change at some point just a little? They seem different now.

They look about the same to me. I think the old photo is just fuzzier with somewhat different lighting.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:18 pm

That is Looking very Sharp Dave....

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 am

Limey SE wrote:That is Looking very Sharp Dave....  

Thanks Limey SE.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Spent the weekend blocking the entire car again this time w/ 320 grit. I ran out of dry guide coat so I mixed up some over-reduced DBC basecoat and dusted a thin layer on prior to sanding :

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0014

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0013

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0012

final guide coat before disassembly for paint:
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0010
'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 2 Img_0011

Next pics should be disassembly for paint and panels getting color.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Cant wait to see it. Gonna be sharp!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Yea Buddy going to look nice, and Nice shop / Garage you got going on there

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Wish I had some pics of my old black 77 Supreme with the red/orange striped interior, wagon cargo rear springs and 15x10 Centerline Autodrags/Protracs.

Hope to see this Cutlass cruising around Mchenry this summer. Nice project Dave!

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 am

73CopperMonte wrote:

Hope to see this Cutlass cruising around Mchenry this summer. Nice project Dave!

You'll definitely see it cruising around Mchenry this summer, 73CopperMonte!

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next