G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t5 trans swap

3 posters

Go down

t5 trans swap Empty t5 trans swap

Post by kenseth1 Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:35 pm

my 73 SS Chevelle has a 4-sp saginaw, I wanna add a t5 borg warner 5 speed , I need to know if there is any modifications needed or will it bolt right up n the shifter will come thru the floor in the stock position? Thx 2 all gearheads cheers
kenseth1
kenseth1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

t5 trans swap Empty Re: t5 trans swap

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Need to find one out of a V8 or V6 camaro, s10, firebrid. The 4 cylinder cars have different bellhousings. Since your V8 I would recommend trying to get a World Class T5 cause they are a tad stronger. If you wanted to modify the Mustang T5s are stronger than all the GM ones. If you dont go crazy on horse power and never powershift it, it should hold up for a while. But I would always be on the look out for spares.
GM only put the T5 behind 305 V8s never behind 350s because they knew it wouldnt hold up.

t5 trans swap SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

t5 trans swap Empty t5 swap

Post by kenseth1 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:02 pm

hey Black, thx 4 the gr8 info, Im runnin a 383 stroker w/ 373 gears, im puttin out 460 horses., Im also runnin ladder bars, I enjoy an occasional burnout, but dont do much power shiftin. What mods are needed to make a Furd t5 work? Although I refuse to put a Furd part on my GM, im curious,lol. thx again. If ya wanna respond to my email, its turninleft@charter.net.
kenseth1
kenseth1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 pm

GM felt that the T5 was marginal behind a 200hp 305 in a 3200 pound car, and not up to the task of the 250hp 350 in the same car.
the Mustang T5 is only slightly better- built for a low torque motor in a 3000 pound car.
might as well skip the T5 and step straight up to a Tremac TKO 500 or 600. yes, it costs more up front, but it is a better trans and will hold up to a lot more abuse.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Yes, I agree a TKO 600 or a Richmond 5 speed would be better suited for your application.

Im unsure of the modifications needed for the Mustang T5. I know a bellhousing adapter will be needed.

If you dont want to spend the money on a TKO or Richmond, I would recommend a T56 trans that is found in Vipers, LS1 and LT1 6 Speed cars. Yes its not as strong as a TKO or Richmond but it has 2 overdrives and is a ton stronger than the T5.
You will need to find one out of a LT1 camaro or transam to have the correct bellhousing.

t5 trans swap SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

t5 trans swap Empty t5 swap

Post by kenseth1 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:30 pm

hey, thx alot 4 all the info, will save me from throwing $ away on a insufficant trans. Time to go tranny shopping. Thx again
kenseth1
kenseth1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down