G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL

+34
Mcarlo77
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Iggy
Joe73
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
LSANTI76
zucchi
MaliCrusier / Mitch
Mitchell Murphy
77mali
1975 S3
bracketchev1221
Zaptiah
fasrnur
pila
73ss
thatfnthing
dhw3971
buggy5872
Roadcaptain S3
marx3
zot
crice63
clanceman427
dynchel
Damon23
DaveFury
Tom77
SSTOOLMAN
knightfan26917
Hs1973
jerry46765
tropdeprojet
74 beast
38 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 Empty Re: This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Is that a cast one?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 Empty Re: This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL

Post by Limey SE Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:55 pm

Iggy said it was a cast one yes I had to have mine turned from the rust, So made a deal with him for this one that was Already turned .010 .010 and just had to get the New bearings ……..

Just stinks I had this Knee injury and wasn't able to get to the shed to check on Crank till Mid summer and a mouse had chewed the plastic I had it in and it flash rusted bad enough that it needed to be turned so he offered this one

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Nice to see it made it in good shape!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:36 pm

A cast crank will be just fine for the HP you are going to make. I made 500 hp on a cast 396 crank in a 408 at 6500 rpm. Have the rotating assembly balanced and it will be fine in a street engine.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:09 am

Finally starting assembly on the 454 gathered up all tools and part's today and tomorrow I will finally be able to start this darn motor Build LOL THIS WILL BE THE LAST time you see it like this

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_ge10
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 90618411

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Crank and pistons Back home in there TOMORROW is cam, heads, Intake and carb for final time then oil for winter storage and NEXT SPRING its game on

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_4510
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_pa10
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_pi10

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:39 pm

Nice. I like to put some Permatex Indian Head around the edge of the freeze out plugs prior to install. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Joe73 wrote:Nice.  I like to put some Permatex Indian Head around the edge of the freeze out plugs prior to install.  Good luck with it.

TY Joe almost there

Yayyyyyy Cam in,....Timing chain (PITA BTW) IN Heads back on and torqued down in 3 sequences. Intake just sitting on there have to drop lifters in there yet harmonic Balancer has to go on yet and oil pump the bolt never showed today....

I have 30w oil in the head since I am not starting till Next spring with an added twist of Assy lube LOL

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_do12
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_do10
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_do11

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm

What I would do is, before the intake goes on, get the rockers on and set. Then put a sharpie mark at 12 o'clock on each lifter. Put the primer tool in and pump up to pressure to make sure oil is coming out of each pushrod at the rocker. Then rotate the engine a 1/4 turn and keep priming, then another 1/4 turn and keep priming. Do that for 2-3 complete revolutions. Then look at the sharpie marks, they should all have rotated from their original position. This will verify that the lifters are rotating and you have less of a chance of wiping out the cam during break-in. And by priming and rotating, your are getting oil to all parts of the engine. If your going to store it before initial startup, I'd leave the manifold off and do the above steps when your ready to start it up. Just to make sure. Better safe than sorry.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Yes sir That was the Plan Joe I'm just Basically closing it all up for No critters get in there over the winter and damage all the work I have done  ........ Then this spring put lifters in and fire fire fire Headers I am Putting them on also and putting a piece of flat steel at the collector sealing that up also and where the carb is I will install a lift plate that should keep them out of intake and inside

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Just wanted to get a Shot of how would look going into car LOL

454 Motor Monday (almost done for now) balancer just started on there its coming back off I am gonna paint the rest of Block and ALSO painting the Black timing cover I dont like it (scuff it and paint it) Wires just sitting on there also............. Also the Oil pump Bolt FINALLY showed up only 4 days later than tracking said it would geeezzzzz Thats why Oil pan is not on

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 12 454_610

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 pm

Looking good Limey. Hopefully you'll have everything ready to stab it in your SE by this spring;
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 pm

g3chevy wrote:Looking good Limey. Hopefully you'll have everything ready to stab it in your SE by this spring;

BBC Radiator secured
BBC rad shroud secured
454 90% done
BBC engine mounts yup them too
th475 trans (yes th475) straight cut gears, I hear they are stronger from trans guy same housing as th400

Yank out the 135hp 305

Install the 136hp 454 Yupper I am good

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 pm

At least the new engine is an upgrade.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:58 pm

It might only have 1 more horsepower, but you are going to love that torque.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:39 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:At least the new engine is an upgrade.  

REVINKEVIN wrote:It might only have 1 more horsepower, but you are going to love that torque.

If I only get ONE more horsepower I will not be very happy I hope at least more than a SBC Crate motor at least Maybe break the 300hp plain BUT i cant afford a dyno run at present time

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:46 pm

I nothing else, it looks good! Gives you that open hood grin at shows! With your cam you should have at least 350 HP if not closer to 400 HP. The 500 lb/ft of torque is what will really put a smile on your face.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm

Iggy wrote:I nothing else, it looks good!  Gives you that open hood grin at shows!  With your cam you should have at least 350 HP if not closer to 400 HP.  The 500 lb/ft of torque is what will really put a smile on your face.

:<P

^^ THERES THAT SMILE you speak of LOL I will be very happy if that's the case and will make it all worthwhile http://www.thirdgen. http://www.thirdgen. http://www.thirdgen.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:02 pm

FWIW, Mine put down 360HP/440tq to the wheels. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but enough to 12.80's @ 105. 4200 pounds. (full interior, A/C)

10:1 squeeze, Summit 1302 cam, Comp magnum lifters, 781 heads with 2.19/1.85 valves, Q-jet, RPM intake.

200-4r with the deeper first gear & 2500 convertor also helps, 3.73 out back.

Hopefully you won't be disappointed, It's been a long time coming. Good luck!!!
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:11 pm

your Cam is the one I was looking at 73SS BUT didnt want to mess with getting new convertor, but will have th475 (aka th400) with stronger straight cut gears and if all goes well will have the 3.08 geared impala ss rear end (gains posi, disc brakes)

But heads are almost Identical, and have quickfuel carb, and edelbrock performer 2.0 intake Tech at Summit this intake works very well with the cam

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm going to say something that I truly believe in being a former racer and engine builder. I may get flogged for this, but HORSEPOWER IS OVERRATED. Horsepower has become so easy to make today with the parts available compared to 20-30 years ago. People have lost sight of what it took to go fast. Its par for the course now to have a 6-700 hp 500" plus pump gas engine. But these cars are being idled around at car shows or taken to the track and run 11's and 12's and people ooh and ahh over them. The fact is, 4-500 hp is PLENTY for a street car. a 450 hp car can smoke the cooper cobra radials just as well as a 700 hp car. The sad fact is, that 6-700 hp should be running deep into the 10's if not into the 9's. Its just a number today. My Chevelle, weighed 3380 with me in it way back when and made between 6-625 hp and went 10.30's at 130 mph. When people could only make 5-600 hp based on the average person's budget, they made sure that they got that power to the ground and it showed up in the time slip. Now, cars have way too much power that they can't use, and it makes people think that they need a ton of HP to either go fast or to not be looked down on. OK start the flogging!!!
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 pm

No flogging here here Ray I will be very happy with whatever I get with it for I know for sure one thing Its gonna be better performing than that 305 wheeze pump I am taking out of the Car...... If I make some passes and it sees anything close to 14 maybe, I will be just fine with that, It take's alot of torque to move our boats for sure

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:00 pm

No flogging Ray, I always felt my car had 12.50's in it if I could get it to hook properly, I haven't gotten the 60' sorted out yet, one of these days.

Limey, I agree with Joe's advice and do not forget the zinc oil!!!!!!
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:19 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:I'm going to say something that I truly believe in being a former racer and engine builder.  I may get flogged for this, but HORSEPOWER IS OVERRATED.  Horsepower has become so easy to make today with the parts available compared to 20-30 years ago.  People have lost sight of what it took to go fast.  Its par for the course now to have a 6-700 hp 500" plus pump gas engine.  But these cars are being idled around at car shows or taken to the track and run 11's and 12's and people ooh and ahh over them.  The fact is, 4-500 hp is PLENTY for a street car.  a 450 hp car can smoke the cooper cobra radials just as well as a 700 hp car.  The sad fact is, that 6-700 hp should be running deep into the 10's if not into the 9's.  Its just a number today.  My Chevelle, weighed 3380 with me in it way back when and made between 6-625 hp and went 10.30's at 130 mph.   When people could only make 5-600 hp based on the average person's budget, they made sure that they got that power to the ground and it showed up in the time slip.  Now, cars have way too much power that they can't use, and it makes people think that they need a ton of HP to either go fast or to not be looked down on.  OK start the flogging!!!

No flogging here! Once in a while the Engineer sneaks back out in me - folks like to talk HP, but Torque is really what we have. HP does not really exist, it is only an number calculated based on torque and RPM - sales tool if you will. A mild BBC even with low compression can build 450-500 lb/ft of torque without even trying, and right off idle! With the right heads you can hold those numbers to over 5,000 RPM. Think of the Edelbrock Performer Package - mild cam for low compression peanut port heads and it can boost the torque by 100 lb/ft - add their heads and get even more! That is seat-of-the-pants feeling (or what we used to call a Butt Dyno)! That is what you want on the street - get yourself to the next stoplight and wait for the guy that was next to you.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Limey SE wrote:
bracketchev1221 wrote:At least the new engine is an upgrade.  

REVINKEVIN wrote:It might only have 1 more horsepower, but you are going to love that torque.

If I only get ONE more horsepower I will not be very happy I hope at least more than a SBC Crate motor at least Maybe break the 300hp plain BUT i cant afford a dyno run at present time

Keep your eye out over the winter for up coming car shows. Some around here have been having portable dynos at the shows and they let participant's do a pull for free. Just one word of advise dont let them do the pull do it yourself. They seem to want to put on a show for the crown and in my estimation over rev some of the cars.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next