G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL

+34
Mcarlo77
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Iggy
Joe73
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
LSANTI76
zucchi
MaliCrusier / Mitch
Mitchell Murphy
77mali
1975 S3
bracketchev1221
Zaptiah
fasrnur
pila
73ss
thatfnthing
dhw3971
buggy5872
Roadcaptain S3
marx3
zot
crice63
clanceman427
dynchel
Damon23
DaveFury
Tom77
SSTOOLMAN
knightfan26917
Hs1973
jerry46765
tropdeprojet
74 beast
38 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 Empty Re: This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:42 am

You did remember the fuel pump pushrod and the oil pump drive right?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 Empty Re: This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL

Post by zucchi Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 am

…and prime the oil pump? Or, better yet, hook up an oil pressure gauge, prime the oil system, and turn the engine by hand to watch as oil comes up each pushrod and make sure each rocker gets lubricated?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:11 am

I agree with all the above. I would have primed it with the intake off and made sure the LIFTERS ARE ROTATING. As well as making sure each rocker is getting oil like mentioned above. If the lifters dont rotate it will eat the cam in short order.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Looking good Limey! Have you had a chance to prime the oil pump yet? Its way easier to do it on the stand before you install it.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Joe73 wrote:…made sure the LIFTERS ARE ROTATING.
I totally spaced on that part; I put a roller cam in my 350 small block with roller lifters which must not rotate. However, for flat and hydraulic lifters, rotation is critical.

So, yes, indeed, make sure they rotate.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:35 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:You did remember the fuel pump pushrod and the oil pump drive right?  

Fuel Pump pushrod and Oil Pump Shaft CHECK it off

Intake has to come back off anyways I forgot to put the front / rear Seal on (was hurried and looked over and shoot still on box I will prob just a good gasket maker seal instead of the supplied Gaskets Like Ultra Black or similar) ...... So can Prime then, also I did make sure they rotated By hand in the bore and Put Oil in the Bore NOT assembly Lube as its Kinda sticky icky icky ( ok snoop dog ) LOL I ONLY put the assy lube top bottom of Lifter and push rod

I appreciate all the Good Feedback and Joe I remember all the talks we had and Lot stuck and Haven't forgot I just was getting to hurried and forgot seals BUT happy I did anyways for Intake has to come off to see lifters rotate so its all good

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Good using oil in the litter bore. Rotating by hand is a good check that they are not binding. But you have to hand rotate the engine at least two revolutions to make sure the cam is rotating the lifters. Put a sharpie dot at 12 o'clock on each lifter. Put the prime tool in, prime it til oil comes out of the pushrods, stop, rotate a quarter turn, prime again. Do that for two- three revutions and then check the sharpie dot to make sure they all rotated. If not, find out why. Now is the time to check this when things are easy to get to. I'd use ultra black on the manifold end gaskets. Just let it set up according to the directions prior to setting the manifold.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Are you going to swap out the front suspension springs?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:52 pm

“Kinda sticky icky icky ( ok snoop dog ) “

Limey, you just made a rap reference.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 pm

zucchi wrote:Are you going to swap out the front suspension springs?

I am not sure yet its sitting Kinda Up a little up now from previous owner so will see how much it drops with the 454 The previous owner replaced alot of front suspension stuff he passed away

REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP wrote:“Kinda sticky icky icky ( ok snoop dog ) “

Limey, you just made a rap reference.

Yea Buddy I know LOL Limey not so old now is he LOL Must be Cali Dreamin "

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 pm

Stupid sander gave up the ghost plug it in turn on poof up in smoke 🚬 now have to find the big dog electric one, I only plugged it in Turned it on an POOF Just like Eddie Moneys Video she was Smokin..... Tossed that booger as far as Possible so it would unplug from the Extension Cord A MEMBER told me to take to Shed LOL for the LIGHTS Good news / Bad News Bad news Sander died Good news is Didnt burn down my Shed LOL ....
So with that KNOW I HAVE TO Sand this and apply some more layers I know it looks like hell right now BUT its started at least

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 244515805_880426969527829_971698183088629972_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=V_Z1g49RBPkAX9MXun6&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 244529479_924872558124842_4510368639472629896_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=LSMdIj-WmMoAX_xaMe9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 243123755_362632345645571_6609690516965770713_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=PmjfqU5bNNEAX-0nC7V&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 245616324_410280130477493_3162956749312070611_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=LdXDzzg3K-gAX9jrg_h&tn=tcgcq-kvrZ0wVZXr&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 245249239_573376550540861_5720003698650285128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=vZkkEqm7HVYAX8LjkKX&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac and Finn Monte like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Well hood went on Back burner again since Sander went up in Smoke show thru the yard LOL SOOOOOO Got busy with with 305 removal Yesterday all thats Left is driveshaft and Motor Mount bolts and can yank it ...... Hoist finally  got returned as well from being lent out a Month ago...... SOON it will be in the rails Motor has been Primed and all rockers getting what they need to live..... It will get between rails soon I hope BUT I WILL NOT try and get running till spring, Wont have time for Exhaust redo and all the other tidbits that need reconnected before Winter

This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 24535310
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 24558310
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 24550610
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 24664210

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Huge steps toward an awesome upgrade! Looks like the weather has been cooperating for you nicely.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Not today poured all day till about 6pm...... Tomorrow if no rain and gets warm 30 degrees overnights here BRRRR BUT When if and when it gets warm crawling under for Driveshaft and Motor mount bolts

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am

Well Not happening today either Rain most of so far, S O A B and no not the band LOL

Rowing rowing rowing Gently down a stream merrily merrily we a glee LMAO

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:04 pm

Limey SE wrote:…Motor mount bolts
Will you be replacing the engine mounts bolted to the frame?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:17 pm

zucchi wrote:
Limey SE wrote:…Motor mount bolts
Will you be replacing the engine mounts bolted to the frame?

That is gonna depend on the condition of the rubber itself although it is 1977 Rubber the car only has 46xxx original Miles so not alot of use have they seen but have new ones ready to go for that In case moment, The Motor mount bolts I am referring to is the Single bolt that holds the Clam shell to the frame mount

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Actually, BBC frame mounts are slightly different from SBC frame mounts. If you look up on NAPA they carry different part numbers. If memory serves me correctly, they hold the block up slightly higher for the BBC
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Unless you have some sort of emotional attachment to those original mounts or this car is intended to be an all-show-no-go trailer queen, I would take the opportunity to replace them regardless of how they look. Even NOS unused tires only have a shelf-life of ~7-years.

Should you decide to change them, I highly recommend using a flex-socket/open-end combination wrench on the bolts. You may already know this, but, for the benefit of those who don't, if you still have your lower control arms installed, access to the bolt-heads inside the frame is rather tight and restricted. The flex-socket end will get a really good fit on the bolt and keep it in place while you wrench off the distorted-thread lock nut. An easy way to reinstall those bolts is to use just enough masking tape to keep it attached to the open-end of the wrench as you guide the bolt through the hole in the frame and mount, install the lock nut finger tight then pull the wrench off the bolt head, taking the tape with the wrench. Flip the wrench around to the flex-socket side, put it on the bolt head, then tighten the locking nut to specified torque.

One more thing, if there isn't a ground strap connecting the engine side of the mount assembly to the frame side, this would be the perfect time to add one. Bolt one end of the ground strap to one of the frame bolts and the other to the clamshell through-bolt you mentioned earlier.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE and fasrnur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Its not a sentimental value its just a Not wanting to switch cause they are a PITA value LOL Really dont want to be a pretzel at 56 years old trying to get under with everything still in place

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:50 pm

Limey SE wrote:…dont want to be a pretzel at 56…
57 is just over the horizon for me so I'm hip to what you're saying. As for the job of replacing mounts being a PITA, I understand that all too well also. That's why I suggested using a flex-socket/open end combination wrench.
This SE Now Belongs to my 18 year old daughter now LOL  - Page 17 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.bonanzastatic.com%2Fafu%2Fimages%2F7b17%2Fab5d%2F3caf_9208852521%2Fs-l1600

I replaced the engine mounts the last time I had the engine out to rebuild it. I used a U-joint socket extension to angle the socket just right so it would squarely sit on the bolt head. It took about an hour to remove one bolt by myself but it worked. I thought, "there has to be a better way." For me, the better way was the flex-socket. With that wrench on the bolt and a regular ratchet on the nut, it took about an hour to remove the remaining five bolts and only about an hour to install the new mounts.

Besides, doing it now with the engine out is way less a PITA than after putting everything back together.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 pm

Send me the right Size I need I send back when done I AM ONLY doing it once LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:25 pm

You young guys should push it until you do something stupid like I did - then you get a lot of time to rest and think about your projects, that is if you can get your mind to work!

Actually - I do not recommend that - it is total sarcasm and I could not wish it on anyone!

Though I do admit I would recommend the do it once and do it right - saves time in the long run, money too!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 pm

Great info zucchi. Always nice to get info to do a job I might under go in the future. Iggy I wish I was 54. That went by 11 years ago.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:01 pm

Ok my trans Plug ( after you pull driveshaft ) to put in there after removing driveshaft and trans fluid doesnt pour out tailshaft of transmission any suggestions for a Homemade type plug ? Parts stores near me dont have one .....

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next