G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bench or buckets for big guys.

+9
clanceman427
thert1976
BBMALIBU
Joe73
dynchel
ant7377
SSTOOLMAN
Hawk03
alowerlevel
13 posters

Go down

Bench or buckets for big guys. Empty Bench or buckets for big guys.

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:01 pm

Looking for some opinions.

My car is a factory bench seat 4 speed car. Original owner put in swivels with no console. Luckily enough he gave me the original bench seat and seat belts for the car. So I have what I need to go back to stock. I've never found the buckets to be that comfortable especially for a big guy (6'3", 275). They just dont seem to be wide enough. I'm considering putting the bench back in because I'm thinking I'd have more room (like pontiac says, wider is better) and its pretty uncommon to have a bench seat / manual trans car.

Any opinions on the "room" factor bench vs. swivels ? Is there a difference in leg length space? I had a 74 monte as a daily driver years ago and liked the bench.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Bench or buckets for big guys. Empty Re: Bench or buckets for big guys.

Post by alowerlevel Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I cant comment on the size or comfort of swivels as Ive never sat in any.

But being a rather large size myself (6'5 285) I put a set of buckets out of a 96 or 97 s10 blazer I had laying around in the basement into my 73 because I couldnt hardly get in or out of the car with the factory bench in it.  And it was next to impossible to drive like that as well, not to mention I hate bench seats.  Now with the blazer buckets I can slide the seat back far enough and recline it so that its actually comfortable for me to drive, so I prefer and need the adjustability the buckets give me.  Now they dont look anywhere close to stock but that doesnt concern me one bit.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:33 pm

I agree. That would be the best option. The later model buckets are "thinner" or not as "deep", if thats the best way to describe them, and that makes for more room. Recline feature also helps with comfort.
I'd like to keep the stock look so it would have to be swivels or bench.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I am 5'6 280 and If mine wasnt what it was It would have Bench seat bar none Swivels suk for us bigger guys

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:59 am

I like resting my arm over the seat backs while I drive so I enjoy the bench.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:09 am

ant7377 wrote:I like resting my arm over the seat backs while I drive so I enjoy the bench.

I enjoy that as well. But even more fun is steering, pushing the clutch, working the gas, shifting gears and eating a sandwich. LOL.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:32 am

I like the look of the buckets and console better than the bench but have never been a fan of how uncomfortable the buckets are. They would be so much better if they reclined.

I haven't had a car with a bench seat in a long time but I say go with bench if you want comfort.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:15 am

I am 6'4" 250 and have swivels, I swapped out the factory steering wheel for the 4 spoke option wheel (its smaller in diameter) and got a tilt Column, with these to upgrades its a lot easier to get in and out. The swivel is just wide enough for me but I have to take my wallet out of my back pocket or I am hurting after about 10 miles.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Tilt would help but I have manual steering. So no good.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:32 am

Joe73 wrote:
ant7377 wrote:I like resting my arm over the seat backs while I drive so I enjoy the bench.

I enjoy that as well.  But even more fun is steering, pushing the clutch, working the gas, shifting gears and eating a sandwich.  LOL.

Haha! Never know when you might want a sandwich!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:10 am

I'm 6'2" 270 lbs.  I've never been comfortable in swivels (esp since they don't recline) my '74 has cutlass salon seats (1976) that recline & i love them.  I love the bench in my crown vic also.....I always thought bench seat 4 speeds looked kind cool.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks for the opinions. I'm going to give the bench a shot. I'm also thinking if there would be a way to maybe move the bench back another inch or two with some sort of plates or brackets going right to the factory mounts for strength.
Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 am

Im 5-11 and 270lbs. The swivels suck. I have a set for sale right now sitting in the shop.
I went with 88 oldsmobile trofeeo seats. That way I got 7 way power seats. They power recline. I added 1.5 inched of metal to extend the front to stock mounting bolt holes. They have almost 12" of travel. I have not put the headrest in and dont know if I will or not.
Here is the two seats I was deciding on the trofeeo ones and a 90 buick riviera.

Bench or buckets for big guys. <a href=Bench or buckets for big guys. Img_5510" />

Here is what I ended up with. The seat bottoms off the riviera seats and cut down the side bolsters on the trofeeo seats. Made one seat out of two.  They also have power lumbar and power side bolsters. I took all that out of the center console and made my new console around the controls.

Bench or buckets for big guys. <a href=Bench or buckets for big guys. Seats110"

Bench or buckets for big guys. <a href=Bench or buckets for big guys. Img_7111" />Bench or buckets for big guys. <a href=Bench or buckets for big guys. Img_1910" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 am

Thats a sweet set up. Nice work.

I'm going to put the bench back in. I gave it some thought as to a MOD I can do if I need a little more room I would cut a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/16" thick angle iron and drill a hole on one end. Put the factory bolt through this hole and into the stock crossmember hole. The angle iron would be 2 1/2" longer than the measurement of the factory hole in the crossmember to the threaded shaft on the seat retractor.
Then drill a hole 2 inches rearward of the crossmember bolt and insert a bolt up from the bottom and tack weld in place. This will be the new front leg mount.
Then drill a hole on the rearward part and place it on the threaded part of the seat belt retractor. So now the angle iron is mounted to factory location points but overhangs the retractor mounting point by about 2 1/2 inches.
On this extended part of the angle iron I'd again drill a hole and insert a bolt up from the bottom and tack weld in place. This would be the new REAR mounting point for the rear seat leg.
And for extra insurance, I'd tack weld a small section of pipe under the angle iron down AROUND the head of the seat belt bolt in the retractor. So it would be a strong "LEG" to give extra support to the rear of the bench.

Would be real simple to make and bolt in. And small enough to hardly notice. Especially when painted to match the rug.

So the bench will be going back in and I'll see how I fit. Then if need be, I'll do the mod above.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:33 pm

Joe73 wrote: a big guy (6'3", 275). 

alowerlevel wrote: a rather large size myself (6'5 285)

Limey SE wrote:I am 5'6 280

SSTOOLMAN wrote:I am 6'4" 250

dynchel wrote:I'm 6'2" 270 lbs.

Wallyuph wrote:Im 5-11 and 270lbs.

I was just curious what stage names do you guys use when wrestling for the WWE?
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by thert1976 Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 pm

I am also trying to decide if I want to do buckets of a bench in my car. I have a bench seat car and a bucket seat car. I always thought I wanted to put bucket seats in my main 76 Malibu but after buying another 76 for the bucket seats and console and driving it for a bit I think the bench seat is more comfortable. So now I have a decision to make. Go with comfort or go for the sporty look of the buckets.
thert1976
thert1976
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu May 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Wally are they red ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri May 20, 2016 8:44 am

Joe73 wrote:Looking for some opinions.  

My car is a factory bench seat 4 speed car.     

Wow Joe that is really cool, a factory 73 SS 4 speed bench seat manual steering. Old school bare bones I love it. If you ever get a chance post up a picture of the factory shifter stick if you still have it, I'm curious what they look like.

BTW, your seat mounting mods sound great, hope works out, you need to be comfortable or else it's no fun Smile
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun May 22, 2016 9:26 am

Limey SE wrote:Wally are they red ??

Soory Limey I sold them. I do have a set of buckets out of a Monty I belive that I had in that Laguna for a while. No tracks just seats.
Bench or buckets for big guys. Img_5410

I have them on craigs list
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/pts/5552799901.html
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun May 22, 2016 6:24 pm

BBMALIBU wrote:
Joe73 wrote: a big guy (6'3", 275). 

alowerlevel wrote: a rather large size myself (6'5 285)

Limey SE wrote:I am 5'6 280

SSTOOLMAN wrote:I am 6'4" 250

dynchel wrote:I'm 6'2" 270 lbs.

Wallyuph wrote:Im 5-11 and 270lbs.

I was just curious what stage names do you guys use when wrestling for the WWE?

LOL!

I would not want to meet these dudes in a dark alley......

I prefer bench seats.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Looking at me now you might not know it" __ Emerson Drive __ 'Moments'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Mon May 23, 2016 7:18 am

One thing I see is we all need to get out and maybe walk more as opposed to cruising the cars. I have the swivels and a smaller steering wheel. I like the swivels to get my petite little 6' 290 lb frame in the car. Reminds me of my racing days.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 23, 2016 8:38 am

Tom77 wrote:One thing I see is we all need to get out and maybe walk more as opposed to  cruising the cars. I have the swivels and a smaller steering wheel. I like the swivels to get my petite little 6' 290 lb frame in the car. Reminds me of my racing days.

Yea Man I agree and Have been down 14 pounds since I posted here last

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down