G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!

+5
77camino
Can't Am
rosco77
thatfnthing
chevellelaguna
9 posters

Go down

Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!  Empty Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!

Post by Can't Am Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:14 pm

My username is a tepid joke about the slow process of restoring this Can-Am...My wife (Lisa) and I (Jim) are knee deep in this, and until recently were at a full stop. Rust issues (of course) made this one a bigger challenge than we hoped for, but we kept at it, and recently I found a donor vehicle (after a 3-year search for the right one) for the major parts that need replacement. Soooo, we now own a 95,000 mile 77 Grand Lemans alongside the CA...These two are going to become one fine ride. We have most of the parts to complete the project, the ones still needed are available thru catalogs. To the GARAGE! Here's a question that we need answered soon, maybe you folks can help: If we actually use the body shell from the GLM, the rear side windows would have to be changed from the opera style to the larger louvered versions of the CA. Is this a simple mod, or major metalworking PITA? The GLM has a vinyl roof, which we would remove along with the trim, and the trim studs. I remember a Mopar (Gah) I once had, where the different side window treatments were just done with a factory tack-welded metal insert, to change the triangular side window into a smaller, rectangular one. I would like to find that under the vinyl...Anyone dealt with this yet? Thanks!

Can't Am
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!  Empty Re: Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 am

Welcome aboard Jim and Lisa! Many knowledgable people here, we love to see project pics too!
The inner structure between large and small opera Windows is different, so it would be a pita to swap that out and make sure it's in the correct location. Where's the rot in your Can Am?
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!  Empty Re: Restoring a Can-Am in southern NH!

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:44 am

Welcome! Love to see some project photos!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by rosco77 Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Welcome!! Can't wait to see the pics
rosco77
rosco77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Can't Am Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:14 pm

The CA has a solid trunk floor. All the other trouble spots have, well, trouble. Cowl-fenders-quarters-doors and trunk lid need replacement, and front and rear floors are rusted thru. Frame is solid, it's a 99,000 mi. W72 Pontiac motor (original) and firethorn interior in restorable shape. The hood has surface rust only, so that will be saved. We have already removed and refurbished the hood hinges, gas tank, motor brackets, and some other pieces. The hood scoop and spoiler are complete, but need refinishing. I would like to peel the CA body off the frame, scrap the body, restore the driveline and frame while the GLM is undergoing bodywork and paint, then combine the finished GLM body and the CA frame and driveline. We have found a resto shop nearby that has full capabilities, so they will get the bodywork, and we will do the mechanical stuff. Plenty of pics to post, do I link to them, or does this site have a FTP utility?

Can't Am
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:31 pm

We used to have a can-am expert in Kansas City. We met him probably 30+years ago when we were showing my dad's Impalas. When we first met him he was showing an anniversary T/A. Then he moved to can-ams. He had several of them. I think he was the president of the Pontiac club. Have not seen him in years, but his name was Vern. He probably could answer all of your questions. Has anyone ever had any contact with him?
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Welcome from Taxachusetts!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:22 am

Rick Lightfoot keeps the Can Am registry now. You can find him on Facebook on the 77 Can Am page there.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Welcome Jim & Lisa!  Looking forward to seeing project pics.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Life throws you curves, but you learn to swerve" __ Rascal Flatts __ 'These Days'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:10 am

Can't Am wrote:My username is a tepid joke about the slow process of restoring this Can-Am...My wife (Lisa) and I (Jim) are knee deep in this, and until recently were at a full stop. Rust issues (of course) made this one a bigger challenge than we hoped for, but we kept at it, and recently I found a donor vehicle (after a 3-year search for the right one) for the major parts that need replacement. Soooo, we now own a 95,000 mile 77 Grand Lemans alongside the CA...These two are going to become one fine ride. We have most of the parts to complete the project, the ones still needed are available thru catalogs. To the GARAGE! Here's a question that we need answered soon, maybe you folks can help: If we actually use the body shell from the GLM, the rear side windows would have to be changed from the opera style to the larger louvered versions of the CA. Is this a simple mod, or major metalworking PITA? The GLM has a vinyl roof, which we would remove along with the trim, and the trim studs. I remember a Mopar (Gah) I once had, where the different side window treatments were just done with a factory tack-welded metal insert, to change the triangular side window into a smaller, rectangular one. I would like to find that under the vinyl...Anyone dealt with this yet? Thanks!

Don't know how I missed this, but it's all BS until you post pictures!!!!

I have serious Can Am envy. I had a friend that owned one circa 1988, haven't seen one in person since.

if you don't post pix, I may hunt you down and take pics myself. Very Happy
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down