G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squeakey suspension.

4 posters

Go down

Squeakey suspension.  Empty Squeakey suspension.

Post by Hs1973 Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:33 am

Hey guys.

My chevelle 1976 has been completely rebuildt, all new suspension parts including bushings in a arms. But there is a fly in the ointment, its is squeakey as hell. I have narroved it Down to the upper a arm bushing both sides rear Towards the firewall.

Can i remove the upper a arms without taking springs evt out? Just raise it up and support the lower arm to keep spring evt in place, then unbolt the upper arms, so i can get them out to see why they sqeak. I have tryed to ajust by tightning, and oil my Way out of it, nothing seems to help. The right side also has like a clonk noise like the is an edge on the aksel that goes trough the bushing, it does not clonk every time but only sometimes. So i figure i need to get it out and see whats up.

So If i can remove the upper arms without getting killed by the springs etc, that would make it a little easier. Thanks for your time.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Squeakey suspension.  Empty Re: Squeakey suspension.

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 am

Yes, if you leave the car on the ground or support it under the lower arm, you can unbolt and remove the upper arm with no problems. I've done it loads of time to replace upper bushings.
Dont lose the alignment shims and remember where they go.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Good to know Joe, thanks.

Fir the squeeks, did you instal polyurethane bushings? If so I heard they squeek. Sorry don't know the remedy.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:54 pm

If your running polyurethane, use some Super Lube with teflon on all the parts.
I've run poly in front and back and havent had any squeaking. I my new build has brand new poly all around as well. Except for the diff ears, they are Moog rubber so no binding.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:35 pm

No its oem rubber bushings. I dont know why they squeak. I hear it when getting out of the car and the suspension raise. I have tried to lube my Way out of it but no dice. It is espesially bad If it has been sitting a while, it sounds like it almost goes away when i drive it some miles. But it still squeaks and i have a hard time ignoring it. So ill remove the a arms and chance the bushings again along with the aksels and see If it helps. Thank you for your help
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:21 pm

I have a noise like a clunk on the passenger side a arm on my 73 Monte just like you. Not really a clunk but kinda? I loosened the bolt up and put some silicone grease on it but I dont think its fixed,can still hear it a little
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:15 am

I have a suspekt that even If i tightent the suspension on the Ground and all, somehow the 2 bushings was maybe bad from the start. I just ordered a new shaft and bushing kit from summit. The clonking sound could be that he spring is twisting a little when the suspension is compressed, so the end of the spring is trying to slide on the lower arm, or in the frame creating a clonk when it does. I run lowering springs in the front and maybe its a bit stiffer and not as flexible As a full lenght spring.

Any Way im going to take it apart and change the bushings and shafts. And im considering using a spring insulator to give the springs a chance to move without rubbing on the metal. Actually i thougt about it when i put the chassi back together. But i could not find front insulators at the time, and i thought that since it did not have the originaly i would be ok. But apperantly i could have used them. I just Found a set on summits website so i am going to put them in and se If it helps.

I know im just a nerd. But i have a hard Time accepting something like squeakin in a fresh rebuildt. Im embarresed every time i get out and everybody can hear the squeak. But i guess this car is never done. I keep changing things and finding stuff to do.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:53 am

The spring shouldnt be sliding on the lower arm or up in the frame. The spring sits in a specific location that it indented in the lower arm. And in that indented part of the spring there are two drain holes. The cut end of the coil must be covering one of the drain holes to be in the proper position as stated in the assembly manual. The amount of pressure to compress the spring to get it to slide at all would be enormous. So I doubt thats happening in the lower arm.
I also find it hard for the top of the spring to move in the frame since it is centered by the frame by the metal tabs hanging down.
Only spring issue I can figure would be if the spring is not seated and rotated properly in the lower arm. If thats correct, and the spring is seated around its centering tabs up top, its in correctly.
Use a flashlight and see if the cut end of the spring is covering at least one of the drain holes. You can also check from the bottom, just stick a small screwdriver in each of the holes. It should only go into one of them.
Good luck with it.
If the spring placement checks out, then I'd be looking at the bushings. Dont forget that there is a left and right side upper bushing shaft. The drivers side has the indent to clear the steering shaft.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:22 am

Guys listen to Joe he know what he is talking about. My 77 Monte rode like a dump truck for years until he said the lower control arm bolts are too tight. I redid them and drive like a different car now.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Ok. Then the spring is sitting correctly. So i guess all the noise is coming from the bushing. Ill take it apart and see whats up. But i did not know that the bolts could be to tight. Does anybody know how much to tourqe the bolts?
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Service manual says 80 lb
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:31 pm

I just checked my service manual and it states 83 foot pounds for the front lower control arm bolts AND the same for the upper control arm bolts that hold it to the frame (meaning where the alignment shims go).

But for the bushing nuts it lists 40 foot pounds.

I'd just loosen all the nuts on top and bottom. Bounce the front suspension a couple times to settle it. Then torque everything up to spec.

ANT, I'm I reading something different ??
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I dont have the manual in front of me so you are correct.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:47 am

Maybe i did it Wrong when i asembled the car, i dont remember cause it was 2 years ago. I can only say that the 2 upper bushings is somehow not good. So i will change them out wit new and also put new shafts and washers etc in. And this time il tourqe it Down correctly. Thanks for your help and info.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down