G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My rant. Buying a car.

+3
Mcarlo77
SSTOOLMAN
jerry46765
7 posters

Go down

My rant. Buying a car. Empty My rant. Buying a car.

Post by Damon23 Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:29 pm

So I see this car on craigslist last night (big red flag here). But the ad is written well, good pictures and uses proper english and grammar. No phone number just email so I send the person a email with my number in it. A couple hours later I get a response via text. We carry on a conversation about the car and again, proper english and grammar and he seems to know what he is talking about. So I tell him I can come out this afternoon and he said he could meet after church. Alright. So at a I text him this morning to let him know I'm still planning on coming out and to call me when he gets home. After 1pm, nothing. I call. Nothing. I wait 30 minutes and text. Nothing. I go out and load up the straps and get the trailer ready then call again. Nothing. Maybe I came across as a stalker? I'm just trying to buy the car. I can handle if he sold it. No problem. Just a simple courtesy text or phone call to tell me that. And what miffs me is the car is still listed for sale. Arrrrgggggghhhh. I can understand if something came up and if he calls and tells me that then fine but this is what I hate about craigslist. If you put something up for sale then be ready to sell it. And if you are calling and say you want to buy something then stay in contact with the seller. It seems to be this way for the last few years with me. I've never had so much trouble trying to give someone money for a car they don't want.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

My rant. Buying a car. Empty Re: My rant. Buying a car.

Post by jerry46765 Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:55 am

Did you ever have a verbal phone conversation or just text?
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 am

I listed 4 tires on craigslist I got on a trade. I guy called and said he lived 2 hrs away and asked if could we meet half way, even though I said in my add no traveling. (I only wanted $100). but he was nice and polite so I agreed. I went to the proposed spot and no buyer,
called several times no answer, waited an hour nothing. Got mad and left. Two days later he texted and said something came up and could we meet at the same spot the next weekend, I said no you have to come to my house if you want them. after a couple of whiney texts from him  He got mad and said I was a dumb A$$ and said $100 tires weren't worth traveling two hrs. for. I called to give him a piece of my mind but  he wouldn't answer. a week later a 16 yr old kid came about the same distance bought the tires and was happy as hell. You never know what you get on CL.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:05 am

I don't know what it is with people that they can't communicate when plans change.  With virtually everyone owning a cell phone with texting ability, it's quick and easy to send.  I've had similar encounters with buyers who promised to show up at a certain time and, hours later with no response, were a no-show.  Common courtesy...but that, along with so many other attributes, seems to be lost among more and more people, anymore.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes, he only texted. I called and left another message this afternoon and he text me back to say sorry but he sold it. I resisted the urge to say "so much for first in line". But, with that type of car and for that price I'm pretty sure someone offered more and he took it. It was a steal. A nice '72 Celica, one owner with new paint for $2500. I bought a '76 for my son earlier in the year as a project for $1800 and the person that we bought it from asked if he could give another guy my number that said he'd pay me $3k for it as he was second in line. If I only knew what I know now about cars I would have a few AE86 Corollas, a few of these Celicas and a bunch of Datsun 510's stashed away.

I agree, craigslist is a crapshoot. I have a general meet spot, a quicktrip near the interstate by six flags. I never have them come to the house. Well, unless I sell a car. I like to have them on camera in case something goes down. Now, the sheriff's department said to come up and use their lobby and parking lot for craigslist deals. I may start to do that.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:13 am

Mcarlo77......

I agree fully to what you wrote !!
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 pm

It ain't just CL.
It's just a general decline in civility, manners and common courtesy.

The anonymity of the internet does make it easier to be an ***hole, but folks are just nasty any way.

I don't post my phone # on CL any more. I learned my lesson in the past with jack wagons calling at 0330, or the guy that got mad because I didn't want to trade him my car for his POS and called me back drunk and cussing.

I had a car on CL recently, mostly to see if an interesting trade would pop up. An old man called, he was very polite and "old school". Said he was 72 and looking for a project. He wanted to come see the car, said he was coming about 100 miles and we made arrangements. He never showed up, never called. Luckily, I didn't inconvenience myself to wait on him, or I might have buzzed him and called him some funny names.

He then calls 2 weeks later, shows up to look at the car and was pretty rude. I more or less threw him out.

The US is gradually de-civilizing. Eventually everyone will have the sensibilities of the common hillbilly or worse.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:It ain't just CL.
It's just a general decline in civility, manners and common courtesy.

THIS.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Just posted a link to an article I recently wrote about a "non-buying experience this past week.  Ugh.

I'll stop there because any further words from me would NOT be "family friendly".

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"After so many dreams have fallen through, it's time that 1 came true" __ Earl Thomas Conley __ 'Nobody Falls Like A Fool'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down