G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spindle options?

+6
brownbomber77
FumiyoG3
wbaker01
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
fasrnur
Joe73
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spindle options? Empty Spindle options?

Post by wbaker01 Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Getting ready to reassemble the front suspension and finally took a good look at my spindles today. Other than being crusty nasty after 43 years, one has a decent groove where the wheel bearing/seal would ride.

Once again, I can't seem to find any stock replacement spindles (I don't want to go with a lowering spindle) and am wondering what my replacement options are for those who have researched this subject? I'm looking for a bolt in option preferrably..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Spindle options? Empty Re: Spindle options?

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Bill, I'm pretty sure the 70-81 Camaro is a bolt in match.. should be easy to find.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks Joe..Looks like these models interchange - 1970-'79 Camaro, Firebird, 1975 Apollo, 1973-'77 Century, Chevelle, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Le Mans, Regal, Monte Carlo, El Camino/Sprint, 1975-'79 Nova, Omega, Skylark, Ventura, 1977-'79 Phoenix, 1976 Cadillac Seville with disc brakes (1977-'79 full-size Buick, Chevy, Olds and Pontiac models with 11-inch rotors will also fit).

Interesting to see how much mixing and matching GM used to do..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 pm

No problem. You should be able to locate one pretty easily. You might also try car-parts.com and do a quick search. Might find one local to you or most places ship. Good luck.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 am

I've got an extra pair in good condition that I removed from a 76 Laguna. They are heavy so I'm sure shipping will be quite a bit. I'd take $75 for the pair plus whatever the shipping would be. If you just need one I could do $40. Let me know if you're interested.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:15 am

g3chevy - PM sent

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Wait...before you do this...B body spindles work and they'll give you 12' brakes...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Not 12' brakes...that's some superpower...12" brakes...and I have a set of course...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 pm

If you go to this website http://www.car-part.com/ and follow the promps and make sure you have selected Colorado, there are a few that I think might be close to you Bill. I entered 73 Camaro into the car field.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks guys, I may have found a local set..

Would be curious about that B body spindle swap, is literally just the case of bolting in the spindle with no other mods (other than the rotors)?

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Here's some pics of the spindles I have. One of them has some marks on it but the surface is smooth and the rotors spin freely.

Spindle options? 20170117
Spindle options? 20170119
Spindle options? 20170120
Spindle options? 20170118
Spindle options? 20170122
Spindle options? 20170123
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Hey, can you measure from the center of the back of the spindle to where the tie rod connects? I forgot to measure mine before I got rid of them.

Some people claim there would be bump steer using B body spindles, but I have yet to find evidence of it. The Trans Am guys don't have a problem, haven't heard any problems on the 73-77 A body side. The 68-72's and G bodies have bump steer problems...with a different suspension, not the same as ours...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Not to make another thread I will ask here.
I was searching for additional pair of spindles for my 74 elco to cure my spoiled caliper stud threads in my right spindle and for big brakes to make in future. One day I got several junk spindles from different year camaros and b-body's, and junk because frankly speaking seller lied to me that all spindles were in good condition.
Spindle options? 6ab415b0b776

I think it is ?73-74 camaro? spindle as it looks like mine 74 elco spindle and have a deep valley going from spindle pin to upper ball joint and small outer bearing
Spindle options? 25d8b7d8f8d9
Spindle options? 4a85cecd8b77

75 camaro upper and different years b-bodies lower spindles
Spindle options? 3f3ea24cbe9f
Spindle options? 11b2ecd74fbb

?75 camaro?, didn't have such valley, only flat surface going to upper ball joint, small outer bearing
Spindle options? Ff416fe318a9

B-body with ABS, big outer bearing
Spindle options? Ffeb87564124

B-body without ABS, big outer bearing
Spindle options? 39e6193b72cb

?78 camaro?, big outer bearing
Spindle options? 40d0f88e319b
Spindle options? 290d8651cb44

After examining everything I found that distance from upper to lower ball joint is the same.
Tie rod end hole on b-body (need to remember) is closer to the center of the car.
The most interesting thing for me is that the later year of Camaro spindle is - less cast metal is used to shape the spindle. All "meat" around ball joint holes, around tie rod hole, meat in the center section from pin to upper ball joint is weaker/less volume. And 78 camaro spindle that has less meat from all - got larger outer bearing.

Does anybody knows what is the reason of GM to use less metal in modern spindles and changing to bigger bearing the same time? Lighter engines? Improving factory design? More strenght castings? Anything else...?
B-body spindles has nearly the same meat as 73-74 older camaro spindles.

I would like to use 78 camaro rusty spindles to make a big brake kit cutting away stock calipers mounts etc, and I wonder does 78 camaro spindle has the same strength as 73-74?
Or it's better to find good B-body spindle set to start with cutting...
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm

builtnotbought wrote:Does anybody knows what is the reason of GM to use less metal in modern spindles and changing to bigger bearing the same time? Lighter engines? Improving factory design? More strenght castings? Anything else...?
B-body spindles has nearly the same meat as 73-74 older camaro spindles.

During the time these cars were being built, the USA was still reeling from the OPEC embargo. There were cars lined up for fuel for hours because fuel ran out at the station while the embargo was in effect. The government also started requiring emission, safety, and fuel mileage improvements. Add to that the competition from foreign makes that got great fuel mileage cutting into the market.

The result is stuff like this. Lighter castings to help shave weight. As you can see, the thicker parts are where the weight of the car is directly supported by this part. I believe the older parts were built with overkill in mind to compensate for variance in quality, clearances, etc., because there was no real pressure to make them better. But as time progressed, regulation and market pressure forced them to be more efficient in the use of raw material.

As to the big bearing/small bearing issue, I don't know what made them use one over the other except for perhaps the options installed on the car.

If you are going to use factory parts for a big brake upgrade, I suggest using the B-body spindles. I don't know what your plan is to modify the Camaro spindles, but I get leery about messing with the strength part of a primary safety system.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 am

I agree with bigredlaguna..I'm not sure that I would modify any factory suspension parts..After the time and effort I put into rebuilding the front suspension on my car (and I used stock parts). I'd have been ahead, time wise, to have bought after market suspension parts. Yes they are expensive but by the time I bought, cleaned, removed and installed ball joints/bushings, etc. It was a time consuming effort..

The spindles for our cars are hard/impossible to find. Mine needed way too much work to clean/restore so I bought a pair of 1970 Firebird spindles that had already been restored. Paid a fortune for shipping but they were in much better shape out of the box versus cleaning what I had.

A good part number manual(s) is also invaluable when you start looking to mix and match parts and are wondering what will work....

Good luck!

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 am

Nothing special about plans on bbk. As usual if going not floating calipers and more pistons some cutting is needed to fit bracket. Like with Wilwood or Kore3 setups.
Spindle options? 408bf7528b8b
Spindle options? Df783ff86eca

Outside of US the chance to find mint used pair of spindles is going to 0 I think Very Happy On my example, from 7 spindles I got only 3 good condition at first look but all are from different years.
Am I right that there is NO aftermarket spindle's pin replacement part? I googled much and can't find anything. Very sad that castings are ok but you can do nothing with pin.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm

brownbomber77 wrote:Wait...before you do this...B body spindles work and they'll give you 12' brakes...

Are the B-body spindles a direct bolt in? What year B-body would work?
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 pm

That’s really odd the pin would be replaced.

YES. They’re a direct bolt in. No modification or change of suspension geometry.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 pm

what year B-body would work?
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 am

77-96. Be aware the 95.5 and up Impala SS and Caprice 9C1 use a 5/8 ball joint. Grab a pair off a regular Caprice, Fleetwood, or Roadmaster wagon or sedan, and you'll be good to go. In order to keep your bolt pattern you must either redrill the holes to 4.75x5 or use 89-91 F-Body WITH PERFORMANCE PACKAGE rotors.

How do you redrill the bolt holes you ask? This tool is really inexpensive if you're considering an Impala SS rear axle.

http://www.rottenleonard.com/Menu.html

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm

brownbomber77 wrote:That’s really odd the pin would be replaced.  

YES.  They’re a direct bolt in.  No modification or change of suspension geometry.  

When I did that exact swap, my wheels were relocated inboard 1/4", so I needed to adjust toe-in.  Caster and camber were unaffected.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Was that the whole wheel or just the tie rod that is located inboard 1/4"?

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:30 pm

I did it like 8 years ago, so memory is a bit fuzzy, but it was the entire wheel -- I remember being surprised about it and that I had to readjust toe-in. I used the standard 93 Caprice spindles.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:02 pm

brownbomber77 wrote:Was that the whole wheel or just the tie rod that is located inboard 1/4"?
I read on some forum that the hole wheel is inboard. I will try to compare my spindles.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 am

The spindle without the valley is a lighter spindle it's a newer casting
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next