G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternator options

5 posters

Go down

Alternator options  Empty Alternator options

Post by ant7377 Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:42 pm

While I sit here on a cold Saturday afternoon thinking of stuff to do to my cars I have this little problem with my 77 Monte. When I have the headlights on and I put on the turn signal say at a intersection while waiting for a red light to change the volt gauge drops below 12.5 even driving along at night it just hits 13. So I think I need a new alternator or as a friend told me it's turning to slowly and I need a smaller pulley. What is good? Powermaster? What do you use?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Alternator options  Empty Re: Alternator options

Post by pila Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:12 pm

I rebuild my own alternators, the 63 amp type used in those years, and keep a couple spares rebuilt.  I get the rebuild kits from NPD,
which contain contain new brushes, new bearings, new diode trio, new rectifier bridge, new terminal post for the output, etc.
Those kits are around 27 bucks !  And they also have new stators and rotors etc if needed.  They list parts to up-date to higher amp output also.

On my Malibu, I run the larger deep-groove pulley, to keep the belts on at High RPM, and it doesn't affect charging rate.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:02 am

pila wrote:I rebuild my own alternators, the 63 amp type used in those years, and keep a couple spares rebuilt.  I get the rebuild kits from NPD,
which contain contain new brushes, new bearings, new diode trio, new rectifier bridge, new terminal post for the output, etc.
Those kits are around 27 bucks !  And they also have new stators and rotors etc if needed.  They list parts to up-date to higher amp output also.

On my Malibu, I run the larger deep-groove pulley, to keep the belts on at High RPM, and it doesn't affect charging rate.

I think I am going to rebuild it first. See if that works. I will get a kit from NPD as well.

Bill
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:11 am

I have a '80s Camaro alternator, same case so it bolts on, however it must be run as a single wire. (Don't use the plug). This was told to me by a electric motor rebuilder company.   It is 105 amp
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 am

Ant, I'd have yours rebuilt with New upgrade kit. And you would be keeping the stock alternator.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 am

Joe73 wrote:Ant, I'd have yours rebuilt with New upgrade kit.   And you would be keeping the stock alternator.  

Can I just buy the parts and do it myself? I know they sell the kit which I can buy but what about the windings? I thought the guy upgraded it the last time I had it done but I don't think he did.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:27 pm

I use a powermaster 1 wire 100 amp alternator on the Chevelle.  I shift the car at 7400 and cross the finish line at 7600.  Been in the car for 10 years.
Alternator options  DSC01456
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Ant, I think you can do it yourself. A buddy of mine used to do them years ago and said they are easy. I just reached out to him and he gave me some tips and again said it was easy.

So if you decide to do it your more than welcome to swing by here and I'll give you a hand.

Just search around and find a kit that ups the power and has all the replacement parts like bearings, diode trio, rectifier, etc.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:56 pm

OK great! Thanks Joe!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict