G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help

+3
clanceman427
Hs1973
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
7 posters

Go down

Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help Empty Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help

Post by 77camino Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Need some help. Does anyone know much about a 60's 3 on the tree tranny. I was asked to try to find some ideas as what could be wrong. It hangs up and won't go into any gear, then all of a sudden it goes in and everything seems fine. It's on an original one owner 70k 65 Impala, that has not been messed with at all and definitely has not been "hot rodded". I have not personally seen it when it is acting up. Any suggestions.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help Empty Re: Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 am

There is a lot going on with rods and linkage to make those work. Start at the top. Does the shifter move freely and the collar move on the steering column? Start working your way down the system and make sure old cotter pins aren't binding up. Clean all points and lube where the linkage mates up to other pieces. How is the clutch?
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help Empty Re: Not a G3 problem, but need tranny help

Post by pila Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:14 am

Been there... The problem may be the play in the bottom of the column, where the two arms for the shift rods are connected, and the column shift rod selects which arm to shift etc, when it's moved up & down. And sometimes It can't be shifted into neutral etc, or it's in gear, and the shifter is in neutral while one arm & rod are in gear on the trans.
Kinda doubt is any parts are available now, but there were parts to fix that problem in the old days. Maybe the bottom of the column could be taken apart and the worn parts fixed, built up with weld & re-shaped etc. It's the only way now, that I'm aware of....
Good luck with it....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:12 am

Or the clutch is worn out to a point where it only just Barely works. Can the clutch be adjustet? Does it bind up even when the engines off, or only when running. If its ok when the engines off but binds when running, i would look at the clutch. If it binds both times its more a linkage issue i would emagine.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:17 am

Pilot bushing worn out would be a possibility. If the car can be shifted thru all the gears, using the clutch while engine is off, but it won't allow you to get into gears while using the clutch with the engine running, I'd say pilot bushing.

Find out when it hangs up to help narrow Down the possibilities.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:33 pm

The clutch is fine. It shifts smoothly when not hung up. When it does hang up it does not matter if it is running or not.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:16 pm

I would lean towards the linkage at the bottom of the column being worn out myself.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:40 pm

The column and linkage wears out that's why so many get converted to floor shifter
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:18 pm

YUP !!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down