G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP my brakes dont work.

+3
McCauley5983
fasrnur
bigredlaguna
7 posters

Go down

HELP my brakes dont work. Empty HELP my brakes dont work.

Post by Hs1973 Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:58 am

Hi guys.

I had a leaking mastercylinder a little while ago. It was the 3 rebuild unit. I was tired of the leaking so i ordered a Nice wilwood polished unit. I Got it 2 days ago and installed it like i always do. I bench bleed it first and and Got all air out and it looked fine. I installed it in the car, and i bleed the brakes first with a wacum bleeder, after the good old Way with a person pressing the brake pedal. All air is out in all 4 corners but no pedal pressure what so ever.

Im sure it is the right part. 1-1/8 bore size for power disc brakes. All air is out and i can see fluid coming out Nice when brake is applied, but there is no pressure at all, the pedal goes to the floor. What am i doing Wrong or is the mastercylinder faulty? I have bleed the brakes repeatedly over and over but no pedal. I bench bleed it making sure it sat level and i took care of doing it right. I have changed Many Masters over the years, but this is kicking my a..

Any and all help is appriciated.
Regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

HELP my brakes dont work. Empty Re: HELP my brakes dont work.

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:40 pm

It has to be the master cylinder--again. Have you gotten hold of Wilwood about this?

Where did you get the previous master cylinders? I've never had a problem with the ones from any of the local parts places here.

Only thing I can think of - is the wilwood made for 4 wheel disc or disc/drum?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm

And along the same thought lines, does the wilwood one use a different length pushrod than stock ? And if you have a different booster in the car then it might need a different pushrod.
Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:38 pm

That would suck for sure sir. I found this link about wildwood master cylinders. It's a good read.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/184121-wilwood-bleeding-questions.html
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Let us know what type of brake fluid you are using.  After having a couple new master cylinders leak on you, and now this, perhaps an incompatible brake fluid is attacking the seals?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:24 am

I have checked that the pushrod is correct and ingage the mastercylinder as it should, i have clean clear fluid at all corners without air, but i have zero pedal pressure. I have thought about the fluid to, and i suspekt that the dot4 fluid is the culpret. I have now switched to dot3. A friend told me that he has heard that the dot4 is to harsh on the seals in our old systems.

I have sent a mail to OPGI that i bought the wilwood from, but i have not recived anything from them yet. I have bought a new Stock type mastercylinder im going to put in, so at least the car is driveble while i figure things out. Maybe i could contact wilwood directly and see if i at least can get a rebuild kit or something. My problem is that i live in Europe. That makes it expensive to have parts shipped and trough customs ev if the part is free the shipping and tax is 300 dollars on a part like that. I paid 240 dollars for the wilwood, but the shipping and tax is close to 350 dollars. So it hurts Real bad when it dosent work.

I am going to wait for now and get the car running again. Thn ill see what happens with opgi and wilwood. I hope they will back Their product up but we will see. Right now it sucks. But that is life with hotrods, one step forward and to steps back.

Im cant put the new mastercylinder in for a couple of days though, i had a bad accident with a angl grinder. The disc exploded while cutting a piece of steel. It went trough my pants and Cut both my leges up pretty bad, also my left hand Got Cut up good to. It looked like i feel in a meatgrinder, blood dripping on the floor. My wife just looked at me and Said here we go again. So it will take some healing before im able to work on it again. So i guess you could say my weekend dident go so Well.

Ill let you all know what happens. Regards from the sofa in pain.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:02 am

The cars where designed on dot3 why change it also the wilwood comes with a pushrod extension that slides down the inside bore of the master cylinder for use with a brake booster

Last edited by McCauley5983 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 am

I'm still thinking something with the pushrod. Do you have the stock vac booster ? That would add another variable to a miss match.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 am

Joe, he's got a Corvette double-diaphram 9" vacuum booster, not the stock 11" booster.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 am

Then I'd be researching pushrod length to double check. If he's using the pushrod that came with the Vette booster it might not match up with a Chevelle master. Just another variable with non Stock applications.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:16 am

Joe, more info on his brake system here:

https://www.g3gm.com/t10912-brakepad-upgrade
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 am

I know im running a 9 inch double booster. I had a Stock mastercylinder on it with no problems. When i bought the wilwood it fits exactly the same. I also get the correct amount of clean fluid in all 4 corners when bleading it. This must mean i activate the mastercylinder ok since the brakefluid comes out fine. I just cant get any sort of pedal pressure. Not even a little, it just bottoms out like it was full of air. But the fluid that comes out has no air in it.

I couldent wait so i mounted my Stock master i bought today. I bleed just fine and i have brakes now. I will investigate more on whats Wrong when im a little better. Ill try and bench bleed the wilwood unit again and Block it to see if i can get pressure on the bench, if not im sure it faulty.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:37 am

Hope you get well soon! That is a scary accident!

I did have an issue with a Master Power Brake master cylinder that I bought for another car years ago. I had the same symptoms (no pedal at all, yet no air trapped in the lines) so I just had to investigate further, and I found that the master cylinder was assembled incorrectly, as they had one of the cup seals installed backwards! I fixed it and got proper pressure after that.

NOTE: I did this because I was way beyond the point of being able to return the unit for refund, and I had already painted the unit as well, so there was "no harm" in opening up the unit. You may want to explore a refund or an investigation into your (assumed) faulty Wilwood unit. Of course you're in a different situation with more shipping/customs expenses, so you're call on how to handle the Wilwood unit.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:41 am

I gave up on using rebuilt master cylinders. Last one I bought was a new one, aluminum, from Summit Racing.
The rebuilt one lasted about 200 miles in my Elco... Exclamation

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:53 am

I blasted and rebuilt my original one. As long as the bore is clean and no pits, your good to go. I ran a brake hone through it before reassembly.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 pm

I am still waiting to hear back from opgi. Im going to contact wilwood and see what they say. Ill return with news when i hear something. Im hopping to at least get a rebuild set or similar. But we Shall see. Most of the parts you can get here are the cheapest stuff you can get, but the vendors charge High dollar for it. Mainly because they have to pay shipping and taxes to, but also because the expensive stuff doesent sell wery good. So i usually import my stuff from us, but the mastercylinders where bought locally. Next time around i will do more homework as to what parts to buy. But still faulty can and do happen anyways. I need however to heal before i get in the garage again. Im in alot of pain but lesson learned ill be more careful next time i use the grinder.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:08 am

So i guys, i have tried to get that wilwood to work on my car to no awail. So i have put a new booster and Stock mastercylinder in and i have brakes. It took all of maybe an hour to put in, and bleed like i always do. So he car is up and running.
I put in a new booster because i was not happy with the performance of the old crome tuff stuff one. I tryed and bench bleed the wilwood and then blocking it of, in order to see if i could get pressure. It took alot of effort to get all air out, but it Got there in the end. And it has pressure now. So it is not faulty as i first thought, i Think it is just Real sensitive and also wont work proberly, with the mount at an angel like on my car. Also i Think thcrom booster has a problem that has contributed to my overall issues. I sold the wilwood to a friend that is putting it in a camaro build. So all is good, but im still a little baffeld as to why i had all those issues.

My only problem now is that i like bling and the current setup although painted is not as pretty as the crome stuff. But ill run it this summer as is, and see what ill come up with this winter.

I want to Thank all of you on this site, for all your help and Being he Nice frienly guys u are. I have had alot of joy and help Being on here. So Thank you.

Regards Henrik
( still healing but better)
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:09 am

Oh and forgotten to say i Got a hold of wilwood and opgi, and they have tryed Their best to help out, so i cant complain about Their customers service. Even if it dident get my problem solved.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down