G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today!

+3
Roadcaptain S3
clanceman427
Dinomyte
7 posters

Go down

a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Empty a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today!

Post by clanceman427 Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 am

So, what we have here is a pair of Oshawa-built, numbers-matching, 4 speed 1973 Chevelle SS cars! Today was a very fun day! Been planning on meeting up with a 73 Chevelle guy who is the owner of one of the best-preserved, all original 73 Chevelle SS cars. His was featured in Super Chevy and it is superb, original unrestored. Luckily we are both local to each other, so I said "we should get together at a local show sometime" and then he told me his company has an inagural show coming up....I was like "when and where!" I took about a thousand photos of his car, climbed all around it, and talked his ear off. He's a great guy and extremely knowledgable. He set it up so we could park right next to each other. We educated a ton of people on all the ins and outs of our special, rarely-seen cars! A red mouse, and a white rat Smile His is an LS4 454 while mine is an L48 350.

a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2012
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2011
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2012
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2010
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2010
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2013
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2014
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2016
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2015
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_1911
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_1910
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2017
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2018
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2020
a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Img_2019
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Empty Re: a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today!

Post by Dinomyte Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:10 am

Nice . . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! Empty Re: a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today!

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 am

Super cool! Inspiring too.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 am

Bobby, I saw in your signature that you have a 73 SS! How is it? is it drivable? I clicked on the photobucket link toncheck it out but it says it does not exist.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:39 pm

You've probably already seen it on FB. I'm Ichabod there.

And I'm glad you mentioned the PB link. I gotta get rid of that Smile

Most recent pic after a little clean up:

a Pair of Oshawa built 73 SS Chevelle 4 speeds side by side at show today! 20170910

The plan is to restore it back to 90% factory. It has the orig 350 and trans. I''ve accumulated some parts, like orig center caps and air cleaner, valve covers etc.
It's running right now, but needs tires, carb and exhaust work. I'll be looking for the build sheet along the way. Fingers crossed. If I recall my decode correctly, it's a Baltimore car.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Should have a B in the Vin number for Baltimore. Check the behind the vertical part of the back seat. Found 2 sheets back there.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:23 pm

I've given it a pretty good look. I'm 99% it was born a SS. But I'll be 100% with the build sheet. It's unmolested enough that it could be there somewhere.

Do either of you guys know whether or not it came from the factory with a Q-jet 750 cfm?

**EDIT** disregard question. I found it.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Bob, what cfm was the Q-jet on an L48 350? Curious. Mine has been off the car in storage since the mid 80's.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:04 pm

750. Looks like most QJs were 750, with the internals varied on different years and applications.
Best I can figure, the QJ version on the 73 SS was in pretty much the same configuration from 66-73. In 73, it apparently was used on every V8 in the chevy line, including the 454.

QJ did come in 800+ on Caddys, Buicks Olds and Pontiac BB engines.

I'm just figuring all of this out tonight.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Correct 750. 800 units started showing up on the chevy line in '76. The extra 50 cfm was added on the primary side. For the most part, electric choke chevy models are the 800 units. I'm running a 800 carb originally from an 84 c-10 with a 305. One of the best carbs Ive ever had. It took alot of time though. It also has the correct attachment for the TV cable on a OD.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm

not to thread jack but with the carb talk, makes me wondering if mine is to small i think im running a 600 or 650, with 350 and mild cam.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:34 am

I see no problem with a 600 or 650 on a 350 with mild cam. My first 350 had a 327/350hp Crane cam in it. I ran a 600 with vacuum secondaries and a quick change spring kit. It was a excellent setup.
Then I switched to a 650 mechanical double pumper. It was great as well but I prefer the vacuum for the street.
I think your fine with either carb. Unless your going racing and need every last bit of power I'd leave whats working good for you.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Podor Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 am

Summit has this Cfm calculator that works well.

https://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/calcsandtools/cfm-calculator

A lot of folks run too big of a carb. I ran a 390 CFM 4 barrel Holley on the 305 that was in my '82 Grand Prix. It ran fantastic. The good thing about the Quadrajet is it doesn't deliver more air/fuel than necessary. The air plates over the secondaries control the the secondary fuel rods delivering the correct amount of fuel. A smaller engine won't open the air plates as much as a big higher revving engine. So, in a sense, it always delivers the right amount of air/fuel. That's why the same carb can sit on a big block or a 307 Olds. A Holley, on the otherhand, has fixed jets and no real way to limit airflow, escpecially on a mechanical secondary.
Podor
Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am

thanks guys
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down