G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering box

+8
SSTOOLMAN
73ss
Joe73
bigredlaguna
brownbomber77
fasrnur
pila
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steering box - Page 2 Empty Re: Steering box

Post by zucchi Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:32 am

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I see Lares steering gear at several sites for the G3s. Was wondering about the quality or lack thereof…
I encourage you to rebuild your current unit. It's far less expensive and you know it fits your car perfectly. I had it done by a company called Power Brake Exchange here in California. My Cadillac was $120.75, Monte Carlo was $135.75. They had done by the next day.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Steering box - Page 2 Empty good to know

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:04 pm

zucchi wrote:
76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I see Lares steering gear at several sites for the G3s. Was wondering about the quality or lack thereof…
I encourage you to rebuild your current unit. It's far less expensive and you know it fits your car perfectly. I had it done by a company called Power Brake Exchange here in California. My Cadillac was $120.75, Monte Carlo was $135.75. They had done by the next day.

Thanks for your reply zucchi. I don't have a current problem but it is around 50 years old. That is encouraging that it is easily repaired. I do have the several bearings for the shaft in my storeroom but not the internals of the column. All the best with your fine cars.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:49 am

The Saginaw #800 box was used on a ton of different cars. A LOT!
I used a box from a 92-98 Grand Cherokee and a Dorman 31011 rah joint. I now have a much firmer and quicker steering. When I did the swap, I bought a kit that converts the o-ring/bubble flare to an inverted flare. Very easy to convert the lines. Of course you'll need to use the pitman arm from your stock box. I've got just about $100 in box, hose fitting kit, and box included.
Why stop with just the box swap? I also added a cooler for the steering pump, and a flow restriction kit in the pump.
It may not look like much right now, but it has a bunch of stuff done to the underside. I drive the wheels off of it during the summer too.
Steering box - Page 2 18246815
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Steering box - Page 2 Empty Thanks fasrnur

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:27 am

This is reassuring re: the gearbox as it seems that this is not a major problem whether one chooses a rebuild or use a swap-in. One less thing to worry about.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:08 am

Nice upgrade Fasrnur! This mod really makes these cars feel more modern for sure!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:27 pm

Hi G3'ers,

Let me lend some experience as well.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto-now-with-ls

In my thread....PAGE 4.

Mark
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:43 pm

impalamonte wrote:Hi G3'ers,

https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto-now-with-ls

In my thread....PAGE 4.

Mark
I hope I'm not stepping on toes by putting a direct link to the relevant post…
Re: Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS!

By the way, my steering gear box was always a quick ratio, ~2.75 turns, and when it was rebuilt, like Mark said, it drove like a different car, tight and responsive.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:14 pm

impalamonte wrote:Hi G3'ers,

In my thread....PAGE 4.

Mark

Mark, finally installed my CPP steering box on my 87 El Camino a couple months back, and as you mentioned in your build thread, it made a huge improvement over the factory box.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi Zucchi,
Just for clarity.....mine was not a rebuilt unit. It was a brand new production box from Borgeson.

Mr Pontiac ,

The absolute one thing amongst all the other parts I have added......that I could feel where my money went!!! And for the better!! I am still happy to this day though I had done that job a couple years ago.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2