G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights

4 posters

Go down

Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights Empty Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights

Post by Hawk03 Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:16 pm

My right front turn signal will not turn on when I turn the lights on. It will work with the turn signal like normal but when I turn on the lights it will not work. Same with the side marker light. It will work with turn signal but not when the lights are on. I checked the ground and installed a new connection on the end of the ground wire but that did not change anything. The left lights work fine with lights on and with the turn signal. Is this a sign of a bad socket?
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights Empty Re: Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Sure sounds somewhat similar to a problem I was having on the Laguna. Here's the thread if you think there might be some helpful info:

https://www.g3gm.com/t8787-electrical-help-needed?highlight=electrical+problem
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights Empty Re: Front Turn Signal/Side Marker Lights

Post by Hawk03 Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks Steve! Your issues sounds excatly like the ones I'm having. I will replace the socket and see if that fixes it.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Just last week I finally got around to fixing a similar problem on my car. I traced the wires with a test light and found that al the wires were fine. The park light on the right side would come on just fine, but I had no turn signal up front on the right side. The side marker also would not flash like it's suppose to. I kept after it until I tried running a ground directly from the battery to the outer edge of the light socket and BINGO! Everything worked like it was suppose to. It turned out the socket itself was bad. Ran to NAPA, got a new one, hooked it up and al the lights now work like they're suppose to.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks fasrnur. I just tried a new socket and it seemed to work. I might need to change the whole ground wire though, the wires inside were kind of black and the other wires were just fine. I'm wondering if water got into the wire and worked its way down the wire.

Now on to the other issue. I wanted to install LED lights in the front, I already have them in the rear. When the LED lights are installed in the front turn and side marker lights, the side marker lights do not blink when the lights are on. To get the turn signal to blink with the lights on, I had to switch the two wires coming from the socket (non-ground).
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 pm

I have read that the 194/side marker bulbs are a "one way" bulb? Try flipping them 180 and see if that helps. Not sure if it will, but it sure won't hurt. My ground wire looked the same way. I haven't changed it yet, but I do plan on it in the future.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I installed two new turn signal sockets and that cured the issue. Everything works good with regular bulbs. I bought new side marker plugs as well so I will change those out at some point.

What is the replacement plug for the single headlight? Everything I look at seems to only have 3 wires and the current plug has the wire for the ground to the turn signal.

When I install the LED turn and side marker bulbs they work fine when the turn signal is switched on. But the side marker lights do not come one when I turn the lights on and won't blink when the turn signal is activated if the lights are on.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Hawk03 wrote:Thanks fasrnur. I just tried a new socket and it seemed to work. I might need to change the whole ground wire though, the wires inside were kind of black and the other wires were just fine. I'm wondering if water got into the wire and worked its way down the wire.

Now on to the other issue. I wanted to install LED lights in the front, I already have them in the rear. When the LED lights are installed in the front turn and side marker lights, the side marker lights do not blink when the lights are on. To get the turn signal to blink with the lights on, I had to switch the two wires coming from the socket (non-ground).

LED lights are "one way" or more correctly polarized. You need to have +/- correct unlike an incandescent bulb which just heats a filament and produces light. Good work swapping the wires as that's the fix, if you can't rotate the bulb to do it.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down