G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

upper A-arm removal HELP!!

2 posters

Go down

upper A-arm removal HELP!! Empty upper A-arm removal HELP!!

Post by FumiyoG3 Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 pm

I am trying to rebuild the suspension on my 73 Laguna.  I am having serious problems trying to remove the upper A-arms to replace the bushings.  I believe they are the original bushings and I don't believe the A-arms have been removed before, because the head of the bolt is tack welded to the frame.  Because of this, I cannot remove the A-arms.  I have removed the nuts on the inside (on the engine bay side of the A-arm) but there is not enough room to slide the A-arm off the bolts due to the steering shaft.  I have tried to grind the welds on one of the bolt heads but there is just not any room to work inside the crevice of the frame where the head is located.  Am i going to have to remove the steering shaft to take the A-arm off?  I need some HELP!!!!  Can anyone offer advice?

PS- the passenger side is even worse- the same tack weld problem exists and if I can't get the tack welds off I don't see any other options to remove the A-arm because the bolt is so close to the exhaust header.

upper A-arm removal HELP!! Img_5715
upper A-arm removal HELP!! Img_5713
upper A-arm removal HELP!! Img_5714
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

upper A-arm removal HELP!! Empty Re: upper A-arm removal HELP!!

Post by FumiyoG3 Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Another pic........this of the other side showing proximity of the steering shaft to the bolt.......and one just to show the car i'm working on.upper A-arm removal HELP!! Img_5716
upper A-arm removal HELP!! Img_5412
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Leave the tack welds alone and leave those bolts in place.  Those bolts are splined not to turn and are pressed in.  No need to remove them.  I've seen them tack welded before but I dont know why.

Anyway, just remove the nuts, let the shims drop out.  If the steering shaft is in the way, just remove the single bolt by the rag joint just above the steering box.  DONT LOSE THE BOLT !!!!. The rag joint might be under a plastic cover covering the lower part of the steering shaft and the rag joint. If you have manual steering, the cover is just a plastic ball shape. Kind of like the size of a softball.

Last edited by Joe73 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:29 pm

On the side with the header, you will probably have to drop the header down a pinch to clear. I find it easier to air chisel off the upper ball joint rivets while the upper arm is still in the car. Holds everything secure. Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks for the advice, Joe73!! i appreciate it!!! But I spent the afternoon on the A-arms (unfortunately before I read your post) and was able to get them off after much effort. I remembered I had an air hammer, so I tried that without success. I ended up using the Dremel, which was small enough to get inside the pockets of the frame to grind the welds off. I did also remove the steering shaft but still couldn't remove the A-arm prior to grinding. I wasn't too crazy about messing with the exhaust manifolds because I've broken the bolts before and that was going to be my last move.

Anyway, this has been a real pain in the arsssss....glad I won't be doing it again for a while.......at least not on this car.
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down