G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rusty's progress Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates

+16
76Chevelle2Tone
zucchi
bucket
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Limey SE
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
ant7377
73ss
Joe73
bigredlaguna
thatfnthing
Mcarlo77
77camino
fasrnur
Zaptiah
S3SS
20 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rusty's progress Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates

Post by Limey SE Fri May 31, 2019 9:59 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:
Joe73 wrote:That summit stage 2 definitely has an  open pleunum unlike the dual plane of the edelbrock.  I'd go edelbrock for the street if I had to choose between the two.  

It’s a dual plane with the divider milled.  Just like the performer rpm air gap manifolds.  Gm knew that milling the divider was worth power 40 years ago on the big blocks.  But I agree for this application it’s not really necessary.

Thats what I was thinking Joe and Ray I already own the Edelbrock 2.0 in the shed so save money there I just didnt want to be talked into a manifold that was almost just like i had for the sake of making a sale

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rusty's progress Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:08 am

Ok Now that I am NOT burnt out on Pulling the 454 from its hull  anymore man that sucked I am gonna start tearing into this I scored these covers from a friend and cleaned them up and what a difference over the chrome they make I love them a lot better

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 65390610
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 64615310
[/url]Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 65477411
[url=https://servimg.com/view/12689273/4146]Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 65148610

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:13 am

I got these on the way to replace the Tonawanda engine I like it better .
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 454_de10

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Heads are back and ready to rock Have to get cam kit and gaskets and can open it up and see what I have

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67066910
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67109810

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Ok so sold the stock 454 heads from 1987 to a guy unexpectedly didn't think they would sell so fast LOL ..... so had to come apart sooner than expected actually doesn't look half bad will drain remainder of oil in it and flip her over and check bearings any idea on piston cc foe this year dont want to take to shop JUST for that ? Doing the build at home as much as I can .... Put heads on so they wont get warpped after getting done just snugged them up

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67068510
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67185310
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67218110
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:13 am

I would guess them at +5 cc as a good guess.  Depending on the compression calculator you use, a dish is a positive CC addition.  So that's what I would use. Is that the oil pan out of the motorhome? That looks like a big sump on that pan, but could be the picture.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am

No Ray it might just be the picture this oil pan is for a car the RV one is still on motor and is bigger than this one .... Just waiting on Bump stick and gasket set to arrive .... but need some parts to sell first

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Got this from Old Owner to the Motorhome....
Anthony, not sure if you remember or not but I was told the original owner died and the son drove it to Illinois from Mississippi or somewhere down south and didn't want to use it at all. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the engine or trans. Good tune up and fresh fluids and you would've been fine.

Now with that Info I am checking Bearings and if good I am installing Cam heads and Intake , Carb and seeing where I'm at ..............

Btw Had to tone cam choice down after talking with some others that used the same Cam and ran into alot of probs ONE actually took out 6 of the pistons OUCH but he had bigger valves SO I am pretty sure thats what Prob was anyways

Cam is here Balancer Puller is here So now game on its ready to get this going
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:38 pm

The other Cam Had 527/553 Lift and was at the extreme limit for stock pistons Had picture proof of the damage BUT Like mentioned he changed his Valves to a larger size BUT all in all this is still WAYYYYYYY bettter than the stock size was

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67491510

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Update: Motor is apart Cam was well Tired to say the least BUT for a 67 thousand Mile Motor home motor, Cam was not really all that bad (NO Not reusing) anyhow its dissembled Have to pull cam bearings for sure Will check crank and main when I pull a cap or two off in next few days and Some one asked about the Oil pan difference I dont remember who BUT took a side by side to show difference from RV to car pan

Also with the balancer I am looking to replace it because of the grommet cracking and coming out of the groove so have been advised to R/R it But replacement one is different it only has two drilled Holes in it instead of 3 in my mine and weighs 15.25 (new one) I haven't weighed mine yet the second one BOTH SAY direct replacement and the Second one weighs 15.40 pounds.  

Anyways Enjoy pictures Cant wait to get this Back together WOOT WOOT

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67402311
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67552510
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67530710
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67668310Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67663110
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67668311
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67756711Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 312
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 1111110
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67808110
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 67810110
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 68466510
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 pm

The cam that came out looks perfect. I would not be hard pressed to leave the cam bearings alone and put it together. As far as the balancer, the holes mean nothing. That is to neutral balance the hub. The counterweight is the important part. Generally they are pretty close but you can have the two of them spin balanced to make sure they are equal. I asked the question about the oil pans because the picture looked funny and many people have tried to install truck pans not knowing there was a difference.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm

fiance Got me belated Birthday gift, I think the Black label will tie  the Black on Valve covers nicely I wanted a black one BUT not in the  budget right now and for a Birthday gift you don't complain,  I kinda  like it more than I thought I would  (I already had the decals in advance of air cleaner)

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 73280210
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 74529510
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 74662410
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 65318010
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 75380010

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Well Mocked up the 454 to make sure I am not missing Parts before sending to machine shop for Short block assembly and all but the Timing cover I have .....

So will save some for a minute and get an Aluminum one I HATE rusty chrome

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 78154010
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 78258510

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 78608510
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 78791711
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 78972211

Last edited by Limey SE on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Looks sweet!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 pm

nice work..
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 pm

Looks great!! Nothing like a big block!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 am

A factory stock timing cover will work just fine and behind the water pump, you can't see it anyway. I ran stock covers on all my race engines until 2017 when I built the 980 hp 565.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 am

Ya I know Ray, just the water pump I will be using is polished so just thought it would look better aluminium behind it.

The two I have is one chrome (rusty) and the the dented stock one (had a oopps while transferring from hoist to stand)

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Well Knee is about at 60% healed Now and pandemic is slowing down I finally received a Dash I got from a member here Paid for back in Jan or February Then the Covid Break out happened and the transportation I had lined up couldn't make the trip till last Saturday .......  A friend donated a Console for Daughters car also which was cool he had an Extra and sent with So at least I am able to keep moving fwd Progress is progress right

Buddy is giving me a 350 Complete also on the cheap the 305 will be oiled and bagged ONLY because its a matching motor to the SE

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 10800110

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 10883710
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 10759710

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 10791710
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 10800510

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 10692210

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Well a little update on Daughters SE yes ya heard right Daughter gets it if grades stay good her SENIOR year so the 454 def goes to my Car and she gets a 67k mile 1983 305 from a Caprice wagon my friend sold us runs dam good so good just need to decide whether I'm using the th350 or the motor home trans th400 in my SE .... its drop in ready with a New dist cap wires and plugs I stupidly broke two they were just put in LOL I Seen the 305 drive on off trailer and around block for minute or two almost thought for how well it ran that it might have been a 350 but numbers don't lie.......
But pulled her out of hiding and she is gonna start on roof first before there isn't a roof to start on LOL 🤔  Anyways she gets a job and THEN she will start paying for her own supplies LOL 😉

Anyways here we go YOU CAN SEE MY SE Photobombing in one of the pics

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 20210810
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 20210811
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 20210812
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 20210814
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 20210813
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 20210815

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:38 pm

Dang! I forget you have that 2nd SE. I bet she is stoked to have one of the rarest G3's on the planet!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:39 am

Been after me for months after my knee fracture to pull it out of the hiding spot then Got Covid LOL last few weeks she is really hammered me to pull it out from hiding so she can start working on it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:42 am

That is a great way for them to learn what is really involved in an old classic car! My working with my son from when he was 10 inspired him to get his job with Hagerty
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE and g3chevy / Mr Pontiac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:41 pm

So we did a thing Today and I surprised Daughter while in School with Turbines BEST 50 BUCKS ever spent

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 Screen22
Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 Screen21

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:04 pm

Love those wheels! Had them on my very first Laguna back in the day. Painted the recessed areas black to match my primer lol.

Rusty's progress  Hood sorta Finalized and other Updates  - Page 3 76_blk10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next