G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advise on wheel/ tires.

4 posters

Go down

Advise on wheel/ tires. Empty Advise on wheel/ tires.

Post by Hs1973 Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:14 am

hi guys.

I have american racing t70r rims with bf Goodrich tires on my chevelle. 235/60-15. Fronts and 275/60-15 rears on 7 and 8s. I have had problems with both from day one. I cant seem to get them balanced right. I have had hem Roadforce balanced and optimised by rotating he tires according to the low spot on the rims and so on. 
But no matter what i do, they are still shaking starting at around 60 and getting worse the faster i go. From 0 to 60 no problems. There is no shaking in the steering wheel more like the whole car shaking from the rear into the seat.

So now i was wondering what wheels and tires you all are running and happy with, so i have an idea of what to look for. I was pondering changing size from 15 to 17 since i tried my Buddys nova with 17s. His is much firmer to drive and gives more feedback from the Road.

So what is your experience with tire/ wheel brands. I would like a set that fits the car nice and has a deep look at least in the back, and  dosent Shake or rumble no matter how fast i go. All thoughts are welcome. Thank you in advance and Thank you again for choosin wanda as ride of the week.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Advise on wheel/ tires. Empty Re: Advise on wheel/ tires.

Post by thatfnthing Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:33 am

My $0.02: Check your driveshaft and U-joints.  Ran into similar symptoms a bunch of years back, turned out one U-joint was on its way out.  Would only shake the car at highway speeds, but you couldn't tell where it was coming from.

As for 15 versus 17 -- ride firmness is mostly going to be about sidewall height, not wheel diameter.  The shorter the sidewall, the firmer the ride.  I went from 40 series on my 17's to 50 series because the 40's made the ride too harsh -- you could feel every crack in the mediocre roads here.  50's had more 'give' in the sidewall and made a huge difference in feel, but they still ride firmer than 60 series and thus handle better.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Was this before or after the 700 swap? Get it up to speed until you get the shake and pop it in neutral and see if it goes away. pinion angle or drive shaft could be off. You could even have a axle shaft that is tweaked. See if someone can follow you closely and look for any wobble in the rear wheels.

I'm running 15x8 center lines. 225/70 front, 235/70 rear. BFG's.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Swap wheels with your buddy for a test drive. If his wheels are balanced on his car, they will be balanced on yours. If the problem is there, then your friends car will have the annoying vibe. If the vibe stays, then the vibe is mechanical.

I concur with checking the driveshaft. A worn yoke can cause a vibe a lot like a bad u-joint, and can confound anyone as to the source until it is literally the last thing to replace.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:37 am

I have had these problems more or less since day one, and i have made alot of changes to the car since, hoping every time it would also cure the Shake. It was there with the old trans and driveshaft, it is still there with the new trans and brand new driveshaft. The tire guy Said the tires where out of round as was the rims, and he tried his best to smooth things out. It worked better but not quite there. 

All that is left i havent messed with is the wheels and the rear aksels. The aksles ill do next when i change the rear gears. I hope to get a 3:73 or 3:43 and a new posi at some point. 

But for now i would like to get new wheels, mostly for the annoying Shake but also for the ride. I tried a set of 17 of my Buddys camaro, and they rode wery Nice, however one was damaged so i could not tell if my own Shake was gone. I just dont want to buy new american rims that are not running true like last time. 

i will do more research and see what i come up with. Its just not easy to buy rims here for us cars as there is only a handfull of dealers, and most times they dont give any sort of warrenties, mening if you buy it and there is a problem its just to bad. So i really need to do my homework before i buy anything. 

Thank you for all your help and advise.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down