G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 Chevelle, getting close

+6
Joe73
thatfnthing
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
Flywheel
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

73 Chevelle, getting close Empty 73 Chevelle, getting close

Post by Flywheel Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Hey folks,

I feel guilty for not posting and just getting on here when I need parts. So I thought I'd post an update on Goldie. There was rust in the package tray, to the point some fabrication was required. The floor pans have been replaced also. I probably should have done a frame off but didn't have a shop when I started this project.. Sometimes I remember Will Darnell in Christine as he's looking at the car he says "look how cockeyed he works, got brand new windshield wipers for a busted windshield.
A few items repaired or replaced - New headliner, reupholstered back seat, new carpet, many plastic parts replaced, all redyed.. Entire underside wire wheeled and painted with POR 15 as well as the front frame which I spray bombed with satin black. new sending unit in the tank, tank painted.. New trunk seal. New shocks and springs all the way around, rebushed A-arms, new balls joints, drag link, tie rods and idle arm. New rotors, pads, and rebuilt the calipers. New drums, wheel cylinders, hardware, shoes and rubber hoses. New master cylinder.. If I took a part off and put it back on it got cleaned and painted, like the sway bar for example with new links and bushings. New bulbs in the cluster, went with blue LED, even repainted the hands on the gauges as the paint was flaking. I just bolted in a freshened up long block with flat tops and 041 heads, stainless valves and roller rockers etc.. Got the torque converter and shift kit in the mail today, waiting on the rebuild kit to go through the trans (th-350). I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things here.. oh yeah, took the wiring harnesses apart and fixed a few issues, replaced the looms..New Evap core in the AC box, got a Sanden compressor for it and I'll install a parallel flow condenser. New core support bushings, the other body bushings appear to be in good shape. New U joints and painted the driveshaft white because that's how we do it for a stock car.. Anyway, done a lot of work and I think the old car will drive pretty good. I like to think without doing a frame off I have preserved the soul, at least that's what I tell myself. All the glass has been out and resealed including a new windshield. I mention these things about as "cockeyed" as I work.

I see a lot of guys on here doing some really professional restorations, but I know there's others like me here piecing cars together or just trying to get the cars in working order. I can appreciate all of it. So here's a couple of photos I have taken a long the way.

73 Chevelle, getting close 20190510
73 Chevelle, getting close 20190610
73 Chevelle, getting close 20191110

Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

73 Chevelle, getting close Empty Welcome Aboard Love the Color

Post by Limey SE Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:26 am

Dont know if you have them or Not BUT local Marketplace has the Centercaps for them wheels for $175 if Interested I can get the Link for you ....

Good to see ya posting about car .

Last edited by Limey SE on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

73 Chevelle, getting close Empty Re: 73 Chevelle, getting close

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:37 am

No shame in garage builds. All of my cars have been pieced together projects over time. My race car was a 25 year work in progress. Got to the point that I could never replace it based on how much I spent over the years. My 70 SS right now is in pieces for body work and then will be rolling and worked on a little at a time.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks Limey. I have a set of Corvette slots I got a good deal on.
Bracket, I know what you mean.. Its not been years but I could have bought a nice car for what I've spent.. I enjoy the work though, most of it anyway.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:52 am

This Color Will look great with them Corvette Wheels esp when Shined to a mirror Finish

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:57 am

I love those wheels, always have. They come off of a show car and have been polished. New lug nuts and centers. When I was a kid every car I drew had slotted mags.
73 Chevelle, getting close Attach10
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:27 am

Them are great shape and will look great against your Car

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 am

Here's photos of the package shelf. Shame I didnt have a donor car. 73 Chevelle, getting close 20191111
73 Chevelle, getting close 20180310
73 Chevelle, getting close 20180810
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am

Wow, your package shelf almost looks like it was burned. You did a great job on the repair. Everyone of the g3's I've owned leaks around the back window. One of the windows I removed by simply pushing on it from the inside of the vehicle. I think if it wasn't for the window trim it would have blown off the car going down the road. Anyways, your SS looks great! Keep posting pics to motivate the rest of us!
73 Chevelle, getting close Rear_w10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks. When the hacks that painted the car repaired it with tape and kitty hair, they finished it off with black spray paint, I think thats why it looked burned in the photo. When I pulled the carpet out there was window screen, roofing tar, tape, and sheet metal from home depot.. Under that was floor pans that looked like swiss cheese. They also duct taped and spray painted from underneath. The drivers seat was just sitting in the car propped up with milk crates. Passenger seat had one bolt. I got burned a little on the initial purchase of the car. I knew it would need 1 pan, didnt expect to have to do 4 patch panels. Live and learn.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Well if its any consolation, your car looks great. Always loved the tail lights on the 73's.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Agreed, your hard work has paid off handsomely, and now you know what shape it's really in. Looks great!

How about some shots of the instruments? I'm curious how it looks with blue LEDs!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Probably not for everyine but I like it! Not sure why the pic makes it look hazy, they are crystal clear. 73 Chevelle, getting close 20180710
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:17 pm

I don't know why, but I'm getting a submarine vibe. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Hahaha thats the great thing about putting a car together, youre the only one who has to like it. I think I have a few left and will use them in the trio guages if I can rig it up.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Trans build in progress73 Chevelle, getting close 20191112
73 Chevelle, getting close 20191113
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:09 am

Trans back together. (less govenor, accumulator and tail shaft housing) I think I got all the gizmos and widgets back in. My back is destroyed. Hopefully I can stab it tomorrow and get the headers on, but it aint looking good.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:14 am

thatfnthing, the blue LEDs look ridiculous in the photo, I posted that on my phone and am just now seeing it on the PC. they're not so neon and bright. much more subtle in person.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:18 am

Nice work !! I've always wanted to rebuild an automatic. That and a power steering pump are the only things I've never rebuilt myself. Looks great.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks Joe, there's a lot of mistakes that can be made on these, it's tricky. If I have to tear it back down so be it. Trying to hone my skills.. My ASE cert says I'm an expert but it sure didn't feel that way.
Power steering pumps are a breeze if you got the tool kit. I need to get a new can for mine, it has unsightly pry bar marks on it.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am

Cool. I have factory manual steering in my chevelle. I sent the box to power steering service out west for the rebuild. The guy called me when he got it to verify what it came out of. He said the box was heavy duty and never saw a pitman arm like mine. He rebuilt it and called me saying he replaced the mainshaft with his last NOS piece. I paid him the extra $10 to detail to factory colors. He said he had lots of info as to what bolts, paints and colors were used from the factories so he could bring it back to original. It was worth the $10 .
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Nice work!!!!

I rebuilt a automatic once and it worked great........................For about a week.

I installed one of the beveled case rings upside down. It wore away at the case and everything loosened up until it quit working. It ruined the case. Live & learn.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks 73SS. I'll be surprised if I didnt screw someting up... Lol. Trans and headers installed. Now its lookin really cool. As I'm fiddling with the detent cable I notice that now my throttle cable is stuck..the stock detent is not adjustable so I may just go ahead and replace both of them.. I went with a 2000-2300 stall converter, I'm hoping that was a good choice.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:05 am

Flywheel wrote:thatfnthing, the blue LEDs look ridiculous in the photo, I posted that on my phone and am just now seeing it on the PC. they're not so neon and bright. much more subtle in person.

If they make you happy, that's all that counts! Thumbs up
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am

thatfnthing wrote:
Flywheel wrote:thatfnthing, the blue LEDs look ridiculous in the photo, I posted that on my phone and am just now seeing it on the PC. they're not so neon and bright. much more subtle in person.

If they make you happy, that's all that counts! Thumbs up

I agree do what makes ya Happy BUT I like them alot better than the dull Factory Bulbs and White LED ones I have seen are SUPER bright

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next