G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear

3 posters

Go down

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear Empty Coil Spring Spacers for Rear

Post by 76 Malibu Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:45 pm

I have Global West springs on my Malibu but I have found that the rear end has always sat too low. I run bigger tires on the rear to help with the stance, but after a blow out this weekend I am going to need new tires and thinking of going to the same tire size all around. So I'd like to lift the rear maybe 1" at the most.

Has anyone used coil springs spacers to do this? Summit has these, but they are cast parts and the reviews on some of them aren't the best.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-1622
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear Empty Re: Coil Spring Spacers for Rear

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear Img_4010
Coil Spring Spacers for Rear Nov_tr10

years ago i used a NAPA spring catalog and found bigger springs. they were about 2" taller then stock..its been this way since 2002. ive had 275/60s on all four corners ever since.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:23 pm

I took a chance and ordered the spacers. For the price they are worth trying.  I will report back how they work. I ordered new tires this week and going from 245/60-15s front and 275/60-15 rears to 255/60-15s all around. Hopefully this spacers give me the stance I have with the larger rear tires now.

I would consider taller springs but these springs are pretty well matched since the front and rear are a matched set from global west. Also , I don't know which springs would lift the rearend my desired amount.

Last edited by 76 Malibu on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:16 am

Along the lines with what Chris said, you can pick a spring to your specs. I use the Moog Chart. Gives all the info you need to make a choice. You could match your spring specs to something a bit taller. https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

1973 454 MONTE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed May 12, 2021 8:31 pm

I got the Global West Spacers from Summit and installed them. First off they were tight to get installed. I disconnected the shocks and had to have a buddy push down on the wheel so I had enough room to get the spring and spacer installed. They don't fit the springs seats or the pig tail on the springs very tight, so it appears they could move/slide around a bit. However, once I got the shocks bolted up and some tension was on them, they seemed pretty secure. I have driven the car a bit since the install and they don't make any noise or move around. So although the tolerances could be closer, they seem to do the job fine.

The 1 inch spacers I ordered lifted the rear just over an inch. So they gave me the improvement in stance I was looking for. When I have a chance later, I will post some pics.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed May 12, 2021 8:32 pm

I got the Global West Spacers from Summit and installed them.  First off they were tight to get installed.  I  disconnected the shocks and had to have a buddy push down on the wheel so I had enough room to get the spring and spacer installed.  They don't fit the springs seats or the pig tail on the springs very tight, so it appears they could move/slide around a bit.  However, once I got the shocks bolted up and some tension was on them, they seemed pretty secure.  I have driven the car a bit since the install and they don't make any noise or move around.  So although the tolerances could be closer, they seem to do the job fine.

The 1 inch spacers I ordered lifted the rear just over an inch.  So they gave me the improvement in stance I was looking for. When I have a chance later, I will post some pics.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri May 14, 2021 5:10 pm

if you take off the sway bar everything moves easier. lot more slack to push down.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm

I didn't think of disconnecting the rear sway bar, that's a good idea.  Although, it was just faster to have someone push the axle down.  Once he did that, they went in pretty easily.

Here is a pic of them installed

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear 20210510

Before:

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear Lift_b11

After:

Coil Spring Spacers for Rear Lift_a11
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down