G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build

+8
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
Limey SE
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Mob City Pontiac
77camino
impalamonte
Iggy
73ss
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 Empty Re: 1977 Pontiac Can Am Build

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Iggy wrote:Yes, but different distributors

Crazy, I really thought there would be more similarities between all these GM V-8's. But after playing with Olds and Pontiac engines recently, I feel I'm working on foreign cars lol.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:
Iggy wrote:Yes, but different distributors

Crazy, I really thought there would be more similarities between all these GM V-8's. But after playing with Olds and Pontiac engines recently, I feel I'm working on foreign cars lol.

Once you learn about the Pontiac and Olds engines you will wonder why GM did not cut out Chevrolet engines. Hard to beat a Big Block on the track, but a full cast iron 400 Pontiac weighs 30 pounds more than a 350 Chevy and came with valves larger than the Oval Port BBC's. Olds V8's were hand fitted on the assembly line and if maintained would go over 300,000 miles trouble free - replace the timing chain around 160,000 miles and keep going!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:30 pm

Inspiration for you You have one year from Today to complete Bill

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 20210717

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:12 pm

Hey Limey, you wouldn’t have a better quality picture of that would you? I was trying to zoom in, on my phone, too see how many of those cars had sunroofs. It looks like most of them have the red interior. Thanks.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:02 pm

Limey SE wrote:Inspiration for you You have one year from Today to complete Bill

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 20210717

Wow! That must be ALL of them lol!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 pm

NOT EVEN CLOSE LOL

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 10275453_750165555003605_5738280572038414269_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=19026a&_nc_ohc=ljOuP94smnIAX92zeNy&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 Empty CanAm pics

Post by mlewisariz Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Gentlemen, The posted pics are from the 2007 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals. High Performance Pontiac mag did a feature article on the CanAm's at the show in the August 2008 issue. 14 CanAm's showed up and I believe only one had a sunroof. The next time there was a large group together was at the 2016 Indian Uprising put on the Cruisin' Tigers GTO Club. If I recall correctly there were about 25 or 26 CanAm's shown and only 1 or 2 sunroof cars. If you go to the Cruisin' Tigers Pontiac Club (their new name) website you can peruse all years of their Pontiac Uprising events. Sunroof cars are rare and parts are hard to come by, especially A-body front and rear seals. ASC made the sunroofs and they came in two widths. The only NOS I have ever seen for sale is for the 3" wider roof as used in B-bodies and limos.

mlewisariz
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm

mlewisariz wrote:Gentlemen, The posted pics are from the 2007 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals. High Performance Pontiac mag did a feature article on the CanAm's at the show in the August 2008 issue. 14 CanAm's showed up and I believe only one had a sunroof. The next time there was a large group together was at the 2016 Indian Uprising put on the Cruisin' Tigers GTO Club. If I recall correctly there were about 25 or 26 CanAm's shown and only 1 or 2 sunroof cars. If you go to the Cruisin' Tigers Pontiac Club (their new name) website you can peruse all years of their Pontiac Uprising events. Sunroof cars are rare and parts are hard to come by, especially A-body front and rear seals. ASC made the sunroofs and they came in two widths. The only NOS I have ever seen for sale is for the 3" wider roof as used in B-bodies and limos.

Great info Mlewisariz, thanks so much for sharing! I will check out the Cruisin' Tigers Pontiac Club website. Are you a Cam Am owner too?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 pm

mlewisariz wrote:Gentlemen, The posted pics are from the 2007 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals. High Performance Pontiac mag did a feature article on the CanAm's at the show in the August 2008 issue. 14 CanAm's showed up and I believe only one had a sunroof.

yes sit I know I robbed the Pics from my friend Bill Ostovich Sr ( member here also) who is Currently in Norwalk and that came up as a Memory so I shared it G3Chevy / Mr Pontiac as Inspiration

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by mlewisariz Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:20 pm

I am a CanAm owner and it has the sunroof. I recognize the Ostovich name, probably from years of seeking CanAm info. Most have gone to Facebook and I'm not there.

G3, you've got a full plate there.

mlewisariz
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:30 pm

mlewisariz wrote:I am a CanAm owner and it has the sunroof. I recognize the Ostovich name, probably from years of seeking CanAm info. Most have gone to Facebook and I'm not there.

This is Bills Can Am, he is Billygoatii here

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 66271734_2452427971444013_1315677121330282496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=19026a&_nc_ohc=js3wlnLLJCwAX9H5Njt&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

https://www.g3gm.com/t7478-fun-at-great-lakes-dragaway-6-23-13

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 pm

mlewisariz wrote:I am a CanAm owner and it has the sunroof. I recognize the Ostovich name, probably from years of seeking CanAm info. Most have gone to Facebook and I'm not there.

Love to see some pics of your Can Am. How is the headliner done? I know most of the typical headliners are done in the perforated vinyl with "T" hangers for installation. But there are no T hanger provisions on these sunroof cars. The previous owner had the headliner redone with the same material that the later GM vehicles had in the 80's and 90's that used a foam board backer. Not sure how to replace my headliner "properly" when I get to that point. And yes, my plate is overflowing with this project. I've sourced most of the sheet metal from a guy on one of the Pontiac groups on FB. He's a Grand Am guy and is hooking me up with a roof with a factory sunroof, hood, fender, core support and header panel. The only other pieces I'll be searching for is a passenger side door and the trunk lid. About half the car will be new metal when it's done. This is going to take a few years for sure. Any insight you can provide on the restoration of this car will be greatly appreciated.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:06 pm

Limey SE wrote:

This is Bills Can Am,  he is Billygoatii here

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 66271734_2452427971444013_1315677121330282496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=19026a&_nc_ohc=js3wlnLLJCwAX9H5Njt&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

Another nice Cam Am! I'm beginning to think these aren't as rare as I once thought lol.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE and fasrnur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 pm

Limey SE wrote:

Is this the same Can-Am I've seen at various shows in the Columbus/Hilliard area over the last couple decades?

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by mlewisariz Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am

The sunroof headliner attaches to the softboard cover on the inner structure that is installed as an assembly when the sunroof is installed. Forward of the actual opening is a hard foam filler which fills the space up to the factory top sheet metal with a cutout for the switch. The headliner is one piece non-perforated and glues to the inner structure then is attached to sides and front and rear windows. The area around the opening will require some low heat and a lot careful stretching at the front where the thick foam forward inner pad is. Then it is held with pinch weld to the flange on the inner structure. As you remove the remnants from yours you can get a clear understanding of how they did it. Looking at your pics it appears that most pieces are present. I'm presently looking for a source for pinch weld.

mlewisariz
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:12 pm

mlewisariz wrote: The sunroof headliner attaches to the softboard cover on the inner  structure that is installed as an assembly when the sunroof is installed. Forward of the actual opening is a hard foam filler which fills the space up to the factory top sheet metal with a cutout for the switch. The headliner is one piece non-perforated and glues to the inner structure then is attached to sides and front and rear windows. The area around the opening will require some low heat and a lot careful stretching at the front where the thick foam forward inner pad is. Then it is held with pinch weld to the flange on the inner structure. As you remove the remnants from yours you can get a clear understanding of how they did it. Looking at your pics it appears that most pieces are present. I'm  presently looking for a source for pinch weld.  

Great info! Do you have any pictures of the headliner? Love to see the whole process as well as pics of the outside of your car.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Making some progress on the Can Am. When Revin Kevin and I first got it running we noticed none of the gauges worked. So we ran it for only short periods of time and did not drive it. That all changed after about a week of blowing apart the dash to figure out what was going on with all that. Well it didn't take long to figure out that the elements that took hold of the sheet metal also did a number on all the electrical connections as well as the gauges themselves. Thanks to Kevin we were able to get all the gauges working and took it out for a real test drive on Sunday. I'll post a video of it's maiden voyage later in the week. For now here's a video of all the madness that was hiding inside the dash. All I can say is Pontiacs are a lot different than Chevys lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk6Pe3rV8y0

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 Thumbn10
1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 Printe10
1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 Printe11
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:13 pm

bucket wrote:
Limey SE wrote:

Is this the same Can-Am I've seen at various shows in the Columbus/Hilliard area over the last couple decades?

He is from. SLINGER So i wod assume so

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 Empty First Drive

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:13 pm

Another big thank you to Revin Kevin for helping me with resurrecting this Can Am from the dead these past couple months. Without his electrical expertise and videography skills this would still be still in the shop still hibernating. So after fluid changes, new belts, hoses, brakes, water pump, alternator and major surgery on the dash to get all the gauges working, we were able to finally take it out on the road for a short trip. I have to say, I'm very impressed at how this car runs and drives for sitting and rotting for so many years. This is definitely worthy of a full restoration. Also, just received this morning a transport full of needed sheet metal from a fellow g3 junkie in the Phoenix area. Thanks Gwynn! Here's a short video of last weekends drive. Listen to those thunderous turbo mufflers lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ3DpsUdmD4

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 First_10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:27 pm

VERY NICE to get runnng in such a short time

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:55 pm

That makes me smile. That car has some kind of cam in it. Whatever it is it starts making good torque around 1200 rpm or so. That car is going to get you banned in several states for tearing up their asphalt.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Limey SE wrote:VERY NICE to get runnng in such a short time

Having the helps of others smarter than you sure does help on projects like this. Btw, what is your ETA on getting your daughters SE on the road? When she actually gets to drive it, she'll be hooked for life.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:14 pm

REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP wrote:That makes me smile. That car has some kind of cam in it. Whatever it is it starts making good torque around 1200 rpm or so. That car is going to get you banned in several states for tearing up their asphalt.

We were both smiling that day for sure. Thanks for your help as always my friend. Oh, I forgot to tell you, I was going to run by the local car show with it on Saturday and it left me stranded....about 25 feet from my shop. It stalled when I went to go close my shop door. So I started it back up and it ran for about 5 seconds and died again. Then it would start again. Popped the hood and looked at the hoaky glass gas filter and it was dry. So I went back in the shop and got a little gas and poured it in the float bowl and it fired right up. Drove in the shop and it died one last time. So needless to say I just got done replacing the fuel pump and it lives once again.

1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 20210810
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:48 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:
Limey SE wrote:VERY NICE to get running in such a short time

Having the helps of others smarter than you sure does help on projects like this. Btw, what is your ETA on getting your daughters SE on the road? When she actually gets to drive it, she'll be hooked for life.

Ha she is already hooked I have a surprise for her tomorrow LOL But the Motor is in House have to clean the pig up maybe throw a better cam will see BUT prob leave stock 305 we have for her from a 1982 Chevrolet wagon It ran so darn good I hate to do anything to it to upset its Basically A plug and play motor after we clean and paint it, Have to get a transmission also..... But have till June next year to gather that up We have all the metal for it already

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:55 pm

[/quote]

Ha she is already hooked I have a surprise for her tomorrow LOL  But the Motor is in House have to clean the pig up maybe throw a better cam will see BUT prob leave stock 305 we have for her from a 1982 Chevrolet wagon It ran so darn good I hate to do anything to it to upset its Basically A plug and play motor after we clean and paint it, Have to get a transmission also..... But have till June next year to gather that up We have all the metal for it already [/quote]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 305. My 76 SS El Camino I restored 10 years back had a 305 in it that came out of my first parts car...a 1976 Laguna. The original 400 from the Camino was pulled out for a rebuild before I even started the restoration. Then my wife got the itch to buy our first house and the engine got sold. I drove that El Camino for 10+ years with that 305. What a great little engine. Then when I restored it, I finally found a good used Corvette L-82 350 to put in it. Then the 305 was sold to my buddy down the street for his 55 Chevy hard top project. He drove it like that up until 2019 when he bought a 400 sbc from me to put in it. I got the 305 back from him and sold it to another guy how is still loving it today. Long live the 305 SBC!

My Buddies 55 With 305 SBC
1977 Pontiac Can Am Build - Page 4 20160610
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down