G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies?

+2
fasrnur
Limey SE
6 posters

Go down

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? Empty Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies?

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:16 am

Anyone ever seen this before? It appears there are 2 different designs of the lower control arms on these A bodies.

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? 20220412

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? 75_gra11

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? 75_gra10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? Empty Re: Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies?

Post by Limey SE Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:40 pm

Only thing I can think of is One was set up for cargo springs or BBC springs and needed a more secure opening ?? I am not sure, I've never seen the different ones just speculating

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? Empty Re: Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies?

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Yeah, this kinda has me stumped. The painted one was removed from a 77 Malibu Classic and the other one I just removed from my 75 Grand Am. I found stampings on both on the flange directly between the bushing mounts but I believe them to be production date codes and not a part number. Guess I'll strip the rusty one down to bare metal and see if I can find a part number somewhere on it. Thanks for your input Limey.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm

Where is the bump stop on the Grand Am compared to the Malibu? The Malibu arm looks like the "hump" might be for a place for contact with the bump stop?
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:06 am

fasrnur wrote:Where is the bump stop on the Grand Am compared to the Malibu? The Malibu arm looks like the "hump" might be for a place for contact with the bump stop?

It mounts on the opposite side just like the Malibu. All mounting points appear to be exactly the same. The only difference is that hump. I looked at my 75 El Camino with a factory 454 and it has that same hump. So I don't think its a big block/small block engine thing like Limey had mentioned. Maybe 2 different vendors that GM used??? Wish I could find part numbers on these things.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:06 pm

Im willing to bet its a vendor thing. I remember back in the 80s, matching up some 73 big block lowers to small block lowers when my buddy wrecked his 73 454. They were the same. Then we matched his to mine and they were a match.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Joe73 wrote:Im willing to bet its a vendor thing.  I remember back in the 80s, matching up some 73 big block lowers to small block lowers when my buddy wrecked his 73 454.  They were the same.  Then we matched his to mine and they were a match.

Thanks for the feedback Joe. I guess I shouldn't worry about this minor difference and just use what I've got.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Joe73 and fasrnur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 01, 2022 11:24 am

Kind of late to the party, but here are GM part numbers for the Lwr Control Arms from the Hollander Interchange manual:

#377833 (LH) & #377834 (RH)
-'77 Monte/Malibu/Sprint/El Camino/Lemans/Cutlass/Century; among a host of
other GM vehicles. No distinction among engine size.

#6260591 (LH) & #6260592 (RH)
-'73-'76 Monte/Chevelle/Sprint/El Camino/Lemans/Cutlass/Century; also,
among other GM vehicles. Again, no distinction among engine size.

BTW...all '73-'77 Upper Control Arms are the same.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun May 01, 2022 12:26 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Kind of late to the party, but here are GM part numbers for the Lwr Control Arms from the Hollander Interchange manual:

#377833 (LH) & #377834 (RH)
     -'77 Monte/Malibu/Sprint/El Camino/Lemans/Cutlass/Century; among a host of  
       other GM vehicles.   No distinction among engine size.

#6260591 (LH) & #6260592 (RH)
     -'73-'76 Monte/Chevelle/Sprint/El Camino/Lemans/Cutlass/Century; also,
        among other GM vehicles.  Again, no distinction among engine size.

BTW...all '73-'77 Upper Control Arms are the same.

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll take the wire wheel to them and see if I can find the part numbers.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri May 06, 2022 10:33 pm

So I got the lower control arms cleaned up and found some numbers. But they don't match anything Mcarlo77 sent earlier. I did find that each side is marked with a "R" and "L" to identify the proper side. Not sure what the numbers are that precede the L and the R.

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? 20220512

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? 20220510

Lower Control Arms - Different Designs for 73-77 A Bodies? 20220511
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon May 09, 2022 9:56 am

They look like date codes. Unfortunately, I don't know how to interpret them.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon May 09, 2022 11:54 am

zucchi wrote:They look like date codes. Unfortunately, I don't know how to interpret them.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Just purchased several GM parts books over the weekend covering 1975 to 1978. When they arrive I'll dig into those and see if I might find something there.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down