G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello from a Colonnade lover

4 posters

Go down

hello from a Colonnade lover Empty hello from a Colonnade lover

Post by alvareracing Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 pm

Florida native here, been the care taker of a 73 stage-1 four speed since 1976. 46 years! I did a complete rest to enter a World of Wheels show in 1985 and it was a trailer queen for about 15 years then realized I'm just going to start driving to local shows. Still in excellent condition but it is starting to show his age. I'm in the process to detail the engine compartment again for it's 50th anniversary and I've been invited to a Concourse De Elegance show in lakeland FL for 2023. One thing I need is a firewall clutch boot. I can't seem to find anything manual for 73. It has 2 mounting holes and they are 3.5 inches center to center. If anyone has any info would be very appreciated. I rather buy one that fits than make a spacer to make something work. Thank you for letting me be part of this group. Plus I am terrible with pictures and computer stupid. But I'll try to post something.
Fernando

alvareracing
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

hello from a Colonnade lover Empty Re: hello from a Colonnade lover

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:35 pm

Welcome aboard to G3GM lots of helpful people here for ya I hope you find the part ya need

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:23 am

Last NOS one Ive seen was on ebay in 2017 or 2018. I bid $275 on it and if I remember correctly it went a bit over $300. Factory 4 speed cars have a larger mounting bolt spacing on the 2 bolt boot. Guys who convert to 4 speed can use the 70-81 camaro boot, just drill a smaller pushrod hole for the Z bar rod. I have a factory 4 speed car and was in this dilemma as well. I bought the camaro boot because its the same with the exception of the mounting hole spacing. I took my original mounting plate, removed all the rubber on it and traced it on a piece of 1/2" plywood. Cut it out, lay in the original plate, lay the camaro boot on top of it while aligning the bottom mounting screw hole with each other. Then fill the remainder of the void in the plywood with Permatex Ultra Black. Smooth it out nice and level and smooth on the camaro boot. Let dry a couple of days. Remove it and it looks real good. Only difference is that the mounting plate is a bit thicker than original. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:44 am

Welcome!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by alvareracing Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 am

Joet73- I was thinking along the same lines, maybe making a template from the original one with a quarter inch aluminum and possibly rivet the new smaller one on top. It is a hard to see the location it is at, so it won't be recognized or seen the modification made. Most people have no clue what they are looking at. But thank you for a suggestion. I have sent an email to OER original equipment restoration who I think makes most if not all the boots available, waiting on a respond. Maybe for the future they would consider making the correct one. I wonder if all 4 of the GM colonnades use the same size? There's quite a few manual A-bodys still running around.
Fernando

alvareracing
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:34 pm

I dont know if all the colonnades use the same size but I would assume so. I dont thing they will ever make an aftermarket one for our cars. Anybody converting to manual would use the camaro boot.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

alvareracing likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down