G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Acquisition 73 SS 454

+3
bucket
RossK73
Ronsrod73
7 posters

Go down

Latest Acquisition 73 SS 454 Empty Latest Acquisition 73 SS 454

Post by Ronsrod73 Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Hi,
My name is Dave. I grew up with high-performance Fords in my blood. My dad purchased new in 1970 a '70 Mustang Mach 1, 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed. He still owns and drives it. I have owned several mustangs and Fords over the years. 5 years ago, I met my wonderful girlfriend. Her dad was a die-hard GM man. After a few years of being "welcomed" into the family, he said that I got the task of keeping his cars alive and running after he passes. Well, a little more than 2 years ago, that sad day came.

He left my girlfriend 3 neat GM cars. Her dad built for her a 54 Chevy 210, painted it blue and white, added a 425 hp 355 cu in small block with a turbo 350. Custom interior. Really a sweet ride.

2nd car for her is an unrestored 58 Corvette, 283 4bbl, 230hp power-glide, and power top. Red w/white coves. Another really cool car.

3rd car is the 73 Chevelle SS 454 4speed. Now I didn't get to talk to him much about this car, as when I found out what it was, he only had a few days left. Now, her dad did a frame off restoration/restomod to this car in 1990-91. It is painted a 1985 GM "Monte Carlo SS" cherry black with a maroon vinal top. When he purchased the SS he knew what he was buying. He told me before he passed. He got the car with a blown SBC, and being that we are in Wisconsin, a fairly rusted car. "I got that SS for just $200.00" he said with a smile. "You know that is the last year of the SS model, and it came with a 454." He did 100% of the body work, replacing fenders, quarters, hood, doors. He built a 350 for it as that is what came in the car when he got it. And 350's were cheaper to build than building a 454 for it back in the early 90's. He knew it was a BB car as it had the "Y" in the vin for 454. 3 months before he passed, he was driving it and the motor let go (huge hold in the drivers side front of block). He installed a new 350 cu in vortec GM crate motor. 357hp 407 TQ, roller cam. Nice running motor. I spent a few hours helping him get it tuned and broken in. I will post some pictures when I am able to.

After her dad passed, I mentioned that I would like to return the SS to its correct 454 motor. This has not gone as smoothly as I had hoped. "Why do we need a new motor in it? It has a new motor in it" she says. I try to explain to her how it should have the same motor that it came with from the factory. It would be worth more with the "correct" motor. I reassured her that I was not looking to make a race car, just a nice cruiser. I currently have a 454 short block from a 73 Chevelle the has a # stamp that is only 130 cars after the SS. Looking for some heads and other associated parts so I can have it built back to factory-ish spects.

I know that it is hard to find production #'s on these GM cars. Sorry, but Ford sold all their records to a guy that has entered them into a computer and can prove the production #'s of how many were built. This is a really neat feature and I wish GM would do the same so we could verify the "true" production numbers and options a said vin came with. From what I have seen, around 2500 SS 454 cars were built. Of that around 600 were 4 speeds. I am sure that lots of these didn't survive.

If all goes well, I am going to see if I can get it into the Muscle Car & Corvette National show in 2023. Just talked about it with my girlfriend as we walked around the show. It will be "Class of 73" next year so that is what I am shooting for. She said go ahead. I don't think I will have the 454 in and ready by then, but I was thinking about having it on an engine stand next to the car???

Thanks, Pictures to follow soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!!

Dave

Ronsrod73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Latest Acquisition 73 SS 454 Empty Re: Latest Acquisition 73 SS 454

Post by RossK73 Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:41 pm

Welcome to the show - you will find a lot of people here that can help you with parts and knowledge, I am sure.
Cheers, Ross
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:52 pm

Howdy and welcome to the GM club!

It's funny, I literally just got done watching the Patrick Glenn Nichols walk around video of the muscle car and Corvette show. There were a few G3's seen in the video and one was even a '73 SS, although a wagon.

Latest Acquisition 73 SS 454 Screen10

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:34 pm

Welcome to the Site Dave, Truly sorry about losing your Girlfreinds Father. AndYea I cant wait to see the Build of the 73 ..... Wedo have a Spot at bottom of Forum for the NON G3 Projects / Showcase as well Post them up would for one love to see them

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:45 am

Welcome!

I would agree that a period correct 454 would do more for the value of an SS that a later SBC.

As for the SS, the 1974-1976 Laguna Type S-3's are SS's - S-3 stood for Laguna Seca Super Sport. In 1973 the Laguna was a new upgraded trim level, in 1974 it became the SS.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:54 pm

Welcome Dave! Looking forward to seeing updates on your 73 SS.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 am

Hi Dave, welcome to the site where guys love and appreciate the 1973-1977 Colonade cars. I have something of interest for you. if you would like a copy of the Chevelle Report, its the 25th Silver Anniversary of the Chevelle. The whole issue is focused on the 1973 Chevelles. There is a 1973 Chevelle SS 454 4 speed car on the cover. it was then owned by Mark Tompkin, I bought it from him in 2005. Its a true matching numbers car built at the Kansas City Plant the 5th week of May. In fact GM put a 74 block in my car. I have the build sheet marked COPO. It spent several years in the Floyd Garret Muscle Car museum in Sevierville Tennesee. It is a mostly un restored car, the original owner had it painted once. Also have a loaded all optioned 1973 el Camino SS 350 $ barrel car. If you would like a color copy of The Chevelle Report, let me know, Thank You, and again Welcome!! Mitchell

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down