G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just painted my gas tank

3 posters

Go down

just painted my gas tank Empty just painted my gas tank

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am

is there anything else i should do while the gas tank is out???

i am going to spray bed liner spray under the whole car so i am going to spray it before i put the gas tank up but any thing else i should do while its dropped? obviously im going to change those 2 rubber fuel line hoses
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

just painted my gas tank Empty Re: just painted my gas tank

Post by The Dude Fri May 14, 2010 3:37 pm

I know it works with motorcycle tanks, not sure on a car tank since it's so large, but to clean out the inside get some gas & bb's & shake the tank around to knock the rust loose. Anyone want to comment on whether or not that will work with a car tank? Again, it works good on small tanks, just not sure how you would do it with a car tank. While it's out you might double check for any spots on the tank that look like it might rust through & inspect the seams for splits.

How did you prep your tank & what kind of paint did you use? Pretty important to have good prep or you might trap moisture under the paint causing a problem with rust down the road.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 14, 2010 4:49 pm

there are no rust holes but there was a hole in the corner that someone welded up (eventually after i drive the car i will buy a new gas tank)

and all i used was rustoleum silver paint and sprayed 2 good coats on it is this enough?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri May 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Neutral If I were you I would have thoroughly cleaned the tank before painting & sprayed a good primer first. That paint is just gonna flake off without something to adhere to.

While I remember this, check out POR 15's products. Here's probably the "correct" solution to my bb/gas idea, but a little on the expensive side:

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/FTRK/
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 14, 2010 8:26 pm

yeah rago that would be perfect but i dont have that kind of money yet maybe down the road i can drop it again theres only 2 bolts to get it out
i wont be driving it for a year or so anyways haha
but honestly id rather pay 100 more dollars and get a BRAND NEW gas tank from opgi

and what i did was i first cleaned all the grease off with purple power grease cleaner then it shined like new
but had some stains on it and i didnt want to throw it back under like that so i lightly sanded it with some really light sandpaper and made sure every inch was down to the metal but it turned out to look great and looks like i just bought a brand new gas tank and its already dry so i know that its on there pretty good

and i just finished painting the underside of the trunk with that rubberized undercoating after i sprayed the rust spots real good with a coat of primer
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 14, 2010 8:29 pm

i am planning on putting the gas tank back up TOMORROW so anywone with any tips before i put it back up it would be greatly appreciated

i cleaned up the gas tank straps and painted em black too they look nice and i have no trunk floor rust to worry about my trunk is perfect only rust i got to fix is from the vinyl top and the floors
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat May 15, 2010 12:56 am

coat the bottom of the gas tank with something like herculiner or do what i did and get a few tubes of black silicone and a putty knife to smooth it over the tank. then make sure the straps are ok and cleaned up really good and make sure to clear coat them over the paint or just powdercoat them, also i reccomend the plastic wire sleeves of the sending unit to prevent any wires from contacting metal if they ever get cut from a hard luanch.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 15, 2010 11:42 am

thx a lot corey! ill probably jsut put 2 more coats of paint on it just to be on the safe side instead of the herculiner sounds to much work

and i do have some things i can put over the wires

also ill be getting new hoses for the gas tank is there any like heat wrap or something i can put around the rubber hoses to help protect them?
one of the hoses on there before was reallly really soft and i could pull it apart like nothing, i want to prevent it from getting soft again
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 pm

ok so i am about to put it back up
is there anything i could put between the straps and the tank that acts as a sound deadener? or should i just put it up and leae it the way it is
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down