G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G3 diet plan for the street

+20
sportster_restorer
dynchel
driveit
switchbiker
JB2wheeler
Mcarlo77
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
JiMi_DRiX
Limey SE
73 chevelle
McCauley5983
The Dude
77malibu77
bigredlaguna
Malicruiser
IndyG3
dragons_lair59
BlackChevelleSS
coreys73chevelle
74Malibu383
24 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

diet - G3 diet plan for the street - Page 2 Empty Re: G3 diet plan for the street

Post by The Dude Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Holy old forgotten thread Batman!

Laguna front saves weight? Jacking Get a fiberglass bumper or just gut the original. Base model 76-77 grilles weigh about 5 pounds IF that & don't radically alter the looks from a 74-75 metal grille. Probably more weight & cost savings that way. You did remind me to snap some pics of the tucked in bumper on my 76 though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

diet - G3 diet plan for the street - Page 2 Empty Re: G3 diet plan for the street

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Rago wrote:Holy old forgotten thread Batman!

Laguna front saves weight? Jacking Get a fiberglass bumper or just gut the original. Base model 76-77 grilles weigh about 5 pounds IF that & don't radically alter the looks from a 74-75 metal grille. Probably more weight & cost savings that way. You did remind me to snap some pics of the tucked in bumper on my 76 though.

my el camino classic grille and the one that was on my malibu classic are both plastic also
and lets see them pics rago
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:43 pm

I put that for he is switching to the Laguna nose remember ?? he was wanting to know the weight saving and I was basing all them examples from my 74 Blue Malibu Classic for i had to weigh them all to ship them

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:03 pm

True. How bad does the front end lift for something like that? Brown Eye is sitting nose high now that I dropped about 300+lbs off of the front. Weight savings rocks!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 am

Does anyone here know the wieght diffence between a GM 6.0L with front accesory drive VS Chevy 350 that came in our cars (from pan to carb)?
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:13 am

Malicruiser wrote:Does anyone here know the wieght diffence between a GM 6.0L with front accesory drive VS Chevy 350 that came in our cars (from pan to carb)?

do you mean LS motor vs stock engine?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:37 pm

TWBouska wrote:
Malicruiser wrote:Does anyone here know the wieght diffence between a GM 6.0L with front accesory drive VS Chevy 350 that came in our cars (from pan to carb)?

Yeah, the motor as it came from the factory 36 years ago from carb to pan. Not the Aluminum block but the Iron block LQ series of truck engines.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:46 pm

Malicruiser wrote:
TWBouska wrote:

Yeah, the motor as it came from the factory 36 years ago from carb to pan. Not the Aluminum block but the Iron block LQ series of truck engines.

from what i understand, the LQ series is iron block but the rest of the accessories are aluminum, that being said, its probably at least a 100 pounds lighter than standard a 1st gen SBC, but i couldnt tell you for sure. what i can tell you is that if you get one, change the cam to a stock corvette cam, it REALLY wakes the motor up.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 pm

TWBouska wrote:
Malicruiser wrote:
TWBouska wrote:

from what i understand, the LQ series is iron block but the rest of the accessories are aluminum, that being said, its probably at least a 100 pounds lighter than standard a 1st gen SBC, but i couldnt tell you for sure. what i can tell you is that if you get one, change the cam to a stock corvette cam, it REALLY wakes the motor up.
Already got one, and already put in a Comp Cams Thumpr cam. Right now I still need to put the cooling system in but everything else is in and it's sitting really nose high. Wandering just how much weight I dropped off the nose, and wondering what spring rate I'll need when I order new front springs.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 pm

According to ls1tech's site, the iron blocked LQ4 is about 87 pounds heavier than the aluminum-blocked 6.0L engine.

This question is interesting to me as well, since I've been taking a serious look at the current-gen 8.1L v8's that come from larger GM trucks. I have no idea how much they weigh.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:54 pm

IndyG3 wrote:According to ls1tech's site, the iron blocked LQ4 is about 87 pounds heavier than the aluminum-blocked 6.0L engine.

This question is interesting to me as well, since I've been taking a serious look at the current-gen 8.1L v8's that come from larger GM trucks. I have no idea how much they weigh.
Thanks that helps a little, mines an LQ9 I don't think there's a noticeable weight difference between the two. I'm still not sure how much either of them weighed from the factory though. The 8.1L isn't based on the LS Design at all, is still based off the BBC. If I remember right it's a 496. I don't know too much about them, but they are torque monsters.

GM 8.1L
diet - G3 diet plan for the street - Page 2 Gm-39010

GM 6.0L LQ9
diet - G3 diet plan for the street - Page 2 Hrdp_010
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Yup, the 8.1's a 496. It's also supposed to be pretty much the same big block that GM's been putting out for years now, just fuel injected. I was just curious as to how much they weigh nowadays. Some companies are now putting out standalone computer harnesses to make those monsters pretty powerful. Very Happy

I didn't pay attention to your engine being an LQ9...my bad. Those probably weigh about the same as the LQ4's, so they're probably just a little bit lighter than traditional SBC's, depending on whether or not you have aluminum heads and the aluminum front end stuff. You would probably shave an easy 100 lbs. off the front end of the car if that's the case.

EDIT: Googling "ls1 weight" brought up ls1tech again. They say that the LS1 weighs about 400 lbs. with the water pump. 500 lbs. would be a good estimate for what the iron block engines weigh in full dress, without fluids.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 am

Well, quoting myself you can get your weight difference. These are all supposed to be stock motor weights.

Rago wrote:

Lightest to Heaviest

SB Buick - 450
SB Olds - 560
SB Chevy - 575
BB Buick - 600
BB Olds - 620
Pontiac - 650
BB Chevy - 685
BB Cadillac - weight varies between 650-750 lbs depending on source

These are obviously generalizations since a SBC with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, etc is gonna weigh much less, but if you planned on looking for a stock motor just for the sake of saving weight & no other purpose, it looks like Buick is the way to go.

The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:48 am

Thanks for the help guys, I've been having a heck of a time finding the details of the weight difference between the two motors. Still don't have all the facts but thanks to you guys I'm much closer. Thumbs up
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 am

One more question. How much does the blower motor and A/C & Heater weigh? I know someones asked that at least a hundred times, but it's 6 in the morning and I finally about to get off work and frankly I don't have the energy to search for the thread. Sorry to raise a dead topic.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 am

By my guess about 100lbs if you mean all of it. I dropped the compressor, condenser, & the big ugly box on the firewall. I probably knocked off 50-60lbs. I kept the heater & all related components (for now anyways), but I'm thinking half of the weight could be in there. Might be wrong on that though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Rago wrote:By my guess about 100lbs if you mean all of it. I dropped the compressor, condenser, & the big ugly box on the firewall. I probably knocked off 50-60lbs. I kept the heater & all related components (for now anyways), but I'm thinking half of the weight could be in there. Might be wrong on that though.

I think you might be off on that a little. Since researching spring specs, I've found that in general, a small block with air is about the same weight as a big block without air. By the weights you posted, that is about 130 lbs.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Holy crap I didn't think it weighed that much! Sure didn't feel that heavy.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:41 am

im gonna take out all my a/c stuff today since i cant find a new evaporator and dryer/accumulator, and the double hump pulley for the water pump. ill just save it all for my malibu when shes running. and speaking of my malibu running, once i get a new rear end for it and a P.O.S daily driver other than my elky (lol) ill be swapping the 350 and everything else from my elky to the malibu. im gonna try and find some more excess metal to cut off also.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 am

I just sold all that stuff from firewall to the pulleys to JRSIXX and I would say all the stuff together weighed in at 140 pounds or better

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 chevelle Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:33 pm

huh i would of thought the oldsmobile wieghed more then a SBC lol

olds engines are massive in size

73 chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Apparently Oldsmobiles are just big where it counts. Twisted Evil
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:52 pm

ok still looking into this but it appears that1979 oldsmobile 98 regency spindles will fit our cars and are lighter than (from what ive seen so far)73 74 and 75 chevelles and quite possibly other a bodys but i got to do more research
heres the oldsmobile spindle
[img]diet - G3 diet plan for the street - Page 2 Oldssp10[/img]
heres a 1973 chevelle spindle
[img]diet - G3 diet plan for the street - Page 2 Wierd_11[/img]
ill take em to work tomorrow to get the different weights
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 chevelle Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 pm

interesting

i know with G-bodies they use caprice and other B-body spindles to get bigger rotors and calipers for cheap. i did that with my 82 GP

73 chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:16 am

didnt we discover that the 2nd gen camaro would interchange as well with the spindles ?? or were they heavier ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next