G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body panels for a non-G3

+2
ant7377
Limey SE
6 posters

Go down

Body panels for a non-G3 Empty Body panels for a non-G3

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Some of you guys know that I am working on a 96 Impala SS, in addition to the Laguna.

I need a new hood and fender for the SS, and I know next to nothing about body work.
I started out looking at replacement parts, and the hood can be had for anywhere from $50 for Chinese aftermarket to $150 for a CAPA certified, on up to five hundred for a GM.

I then ran by the local Body shop just for a ball park and this guy tells me $1800 to replace the parts and paint JUST the hood and fender. Shocked Shocked He claims the fender alone would cost $300 bucks, which is probably inflated for his profit. I expect guys to make a living, but this dude probably buys the part at a discount. (I know guys who will paint the whole car for around $2500)

I expected around $800 bucks, WOW. Times have changed. Based on some stuff I've seen, I can buy pre-painted fender and hood for around $5-600 bucks and put 'em on myself.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated, especially if you guys have bought aftermarket stuff that fit well.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Body panels for a non-G3 Empty Re: Body panels for a non-G3

Post by Limey SE Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:46 pm

That's about the norm for paint now my friend, If I had the money to start a shop I sure would for that is where the money is being made at ..........

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Thats nuts for just a fender and hood with you suppling the parts. Try calling your local trade school see if they want to take on that project .Ask around a local car club you might find someone who does it on the side or something try asking at the autobody supply house too.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 pm

I know a guy who does rust repair with metal and paint jobs real cheap, but there is a catch. He will keep your car beside his shop for 6 or 9 months before it gets finished. What he makes his money on is insurance work and they give him a time limit to get it done. When he runs low on insurance work he will push your car in the shop and work on it until the next insurance car comes in and then he will push your car out until the next time. Most body shops will not even fool with ANY kind of rust repair, they dont want to get their clothes dirty. As for paint jobs being expensive, some paint costs $600 a gallon and one gallon aint gonna do it. And then there is sandpaper and masking tape, etc. Also doing all that sanding aint no picnic either. I paid $1400 to my buddy for my last paint job and it looked great. He spent a lot of time color sanding and buffing it after he was finished. The trouble was he did not remove the old paint, just sanded it real good. That makes for paint chips on the edges of the hood and doors after a while. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:52 pm

I've pretty much decided to just buy the panels and put 'em on myself-no sweat- my main problem is deciding where to get the panels from, and if anyone can recommend a brand or supplier.

There's stufff all over the web and ebay, but the prices vary so widely, it's hard to tell what's junk and what would fit without looking like crap.
Like I have seen the same hood for fifty bucks one place and 500 in others.
The hood I have is so donged up, and the clear coat is shot, it would be less expensive to just replace it.

Once I've done that, I know a couple of guys who would spray it for cheap if i buy the paint and materials.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:50 pm

http://shermanparts.com/ecat/base/dropdowns.php?make=CHEV&model=IMSS&year=1996
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 am

If it wasn't such a hard to find car/color combo I'd recommend car-part.com & check through the salvage yard listings for some that are in good condition. Head Bang
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 am

You could check LKQ's online site. They do shipping, but I'm not sure how much a part like that would cost from them.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down