G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the fUrd 460, evil hidden within

+2
Bill's 74
BlackChevelleSS
6 posters

Go down

the fUrd 460, evil hidden within Empty the fUrd 460, evil hidden within

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:09 am

ive heard horror stories about the 460's being one of the hardest engine swaps in any for any Furd truck from the 90s, even worse than diesel. Now i am a believer. finding parts is like finding parts for a G3 a total PITA if even possible!

Im helping my unce put a new 460 in his 96 F250, the old 460 original engine has about 450,000 miles on it or more (had 400,000 before the odometer quite working and was driven daily 3 years after that) well 500,000 miles of beting on a truck and poor matinince from the Previous owner does damage.

see what i mean. someone wasent thinkin with thier dipstick! to top it off a freeze plug fell out on my uncle and he wanted a new engine anyway Very Happy so he raced home and fried it. lol amazingly i could turn the motor by hand very easily!

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1518[/img]

see the small screwdriver indentation in the center of the oil vally? that the only part that the screwdiver touched and that much sludge was taken off with it! its a good 1/2" thick

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1519[/img]

thing got super hot! part of the cam were burned and parts were white

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1520[/img]

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1521[/img]

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1522[/img]

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1523[/img]

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1524[/img]

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1615[/img]

and the new longvloack with a Marine cam (reason for cam is its going to be a snow plow truck and at no extra cost why not?)

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1525[/img]

[img]the fUrd 460, evil hidden within 100_1616[/img]

making it worse is the winter weather and no garage plus this is being done on gravel! so plywood is under the truck for the hoist to move! hahaha motor is in now and tomorrow morining im going over to hopefully get the pullys and all on and in a few days (fri goal) start it up with the open manifolds becuase the exhaust was so corroded on we had to cut it off.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

the fUrd 460, evil hidden within Empty Re: the fUrd 460, evil hidden within

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:18 am

just to clean the parts that are beinge reusedd...pulleys, intake manifold, valve covers ect ect, we used 2 gallons of carb cleaner, 3 gallons of gasoline and about 20 cans of brake clean. and learned that the compressed air for cleaning keyboards sprayed across a propane heater makes a very good flamethrower Very Happy
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 am

I work at my bros auto shop, we had a chevy 305 come in one time for intake gaskets, pulled the intake and the bottom of the intake was still imprinted in the sludge that was built up inside it. Crazy how people dont take care of their stuff and then wonders why it breaks

the fUrd 460, evil hidden within SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 am

BlackChevelleSS (Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 am) wrote:I work at my bros auto shop, we had a chevy 305 come in one time for intake gaskets, pulled the intake and the bottom of the intake was still imprinted in the sludge that was built up inside it. Crazy how people dont take care of their stuff and then wonders why it breaks

Yea, I had a Camaro with a 305 that was like that. I also had a 77 LTD II 302 that was similar, and I cleaned it up as well as I could (without a rebuild) so I could drop it in my 68 Stang conv. while I rebuilt the 289. Everything was good until the first longer drive in the car, and then the oil light came on. We parked it and called AAA for a tow the 10 miles home. Dropped the pan to find big clumps in the bottom of the pan and pick-up, and as a matter of fact the fresh oil in the engine did a great job of cleaning. After cleaning the pan we were good to go and never had any problems. As we were not beating on the engine, and shut it off at the first sign of trouble (and the removable cross-member) we were quickly back on the road.

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:59 am

Finding parts for 460's isn't hard. My father's building one for his '56 F100 and we've found every part that we've needed to build it up. They share a few parts with the 427/28/29 engines. At least the heads anyway.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:24 am

Just one example of the many variations of 460 crate engins available. JB http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/460_500drop.html
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:31 am

IndyG3 (Thu 16 Dec 2010, 6:59 am) wrote:Finding parts for 460's isn't hard. My father's building one for his '56 F100 and we've found every part that we've needed to build it up. They share a few parts with the 427/28/29 engines. At least the heads anyway.

by my uncles house there is only a orieys with youg kids my age but they dont even know what head studs are! they got all the parts wrong and napa has to order them all. lol we were going to get new valve covers but nobody sells factory ones for under 200$.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Sounds like every auto parts store here. The manager at the local autozone has been trying to hire me for years now! Haha. I've had to bring so many parts back that now they just let me go back and get the part myself.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum