G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall.

+9
Bill's 74
McCauley5983
JiMi_DRiX
yogreasygramma
woody
Limey SE
orange Juiced
BlackChevelleSS
jonny o
13 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall. Empty How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall.

Post by jonny o Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Sick of filling the molding with silicone trying to find the pinhole that's letting water in.
Never messed with that rear chrome, or pulling glass that size. Anyone have any experience on ease?
It's a 76 bu and the chrome is titties... don't want to mess that up.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall. Empty Re: How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall.

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:14 pm

not real easy but do able.. Theres a tool to remove the trim, use it and it pops right out. We got lucky on the 73 SS as the window wasnt even glued anymore. It popped right out after we pulled the trim. But you will need a friend and some thin piano wire to cut through the glue. someone inside and someone out as you go around the window. Then you can get those window installation kits that come with the butyl roll and some positioning blocks.

How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall. SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall. Empty Re: How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall.

Post by McCauley5983 Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:02 pm

try fishing line if your on a budget. i somehow got the window out with 12 pound test but the seal was pretty worn. now im just waiting to get some glass primer anybody know were i can find it?
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 pm

I need to do this too, its staining and worping my package tray.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

How hard is the rear window seal? Removal/reinstall. Empty Auto Glass Primer

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:45 pm

[/b]THESE ARE ALL THE PLACES TO CONTACT THEM TO SEE WHERE THERE PRODUCTS ARE SOLD FOR THE GLASS PRIMER PICK A LOCATION CLOSEST TO YOU I GUESS[b]Los Angeles, California
Headquarters
2503 E Vernon Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90058-1897
Phone: (323) 588-1281
Fax: (323) 581-6522 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Dallas, Texas
2080 Lone Star Drive
Dallas, TX 75212-6390
Phone: (214) 634-7305
Fax: (214) 631-6519 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Chicago Area
1501 Tonne Road
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007-5069
Phone: (847) 437-8320
Fax: (847) 437-8447 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
San Francisco / Oakland Area
33200 Dowe Avenue
Union City, CA 94587-2013
Phone: (510) 475-1000
Fax: (510) 475-1404 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Atlanta, Georgia
600 Wharton Drive
Atlanta, GA 30336-4040
Phone: (404) 696-3445
Fax: (404) 696-3386 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
New York City Area
211 County Avenue
Secaucus, NJ 07094-2006
Phone: (201) 770-1077
Fax: (201) 770-1599 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Boston Area
97 Robert Treat Paine Drive
Taunton, MA 02780-1267
Phone: (508) 880-5600
Fax: (508) 880-5775 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Orlando, Florida
6950 Presidents Drive
Orlando, FL 32809-5668
Phone: (407) 857-7900
Fax: (407) 857-7766 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Denver, Colorado
4770 Joliet Street
Denver, CO 80239-2513
Phone: (303) 373-9988
Fax: (303) 373-0884 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Seattle Area
23000 64th Avenue SW
Kent, WA 98032-1838
Phone: (253) 850-5800
Fax: (253) 813-1818 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Cleveland Area
31600 Carter Street
Solon, OH 44139-3551
Phone: (440) 248-0003
Fax: (440) 248-0120 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Philadelphia Area
1511 Lancer Drive
Moorestown, NJ 08057-4232
Phone: (856) 727-1022
Fax: (856) 727-3299 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Phoenix, Arizona
640 S. 54th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85043-4731
Phone: (602) 269-7500
Fax: (602) 269-7600 ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Europe
C.R. Laurence Europe GmbH
Boschstrasse 6
D-40880 Ratingen B
Düsseldorf, Germany
Phone: 49-2102-74-28-38

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by woody Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:15 am

I did my rear window, and triangle windows myself, 2 small hand cuts, definately worht it for removing 3 windows.

1, Armed myself with 2 utility knives, the kind with the extendable blades, and you chip off the duff blade tip when its worn out...yea those kind. I also armed myself with a 6" wide scraper.

2. Wait until july. The hot sun will soften the black goo holdingthe window in.

3. Let the car sit out int he heat for a few hours, then start, from the inside, cutting the rubber/sealer with teh long blade knives. Be patient, and slowly remove he gobs of black window gunk. as you work around the window, you will be able to periodically insert the 6" scraper and cut any remaining connection between the glass an frame.

4. slowly lift the glass out and put in a safe location.

5. Be patient, you will not get this done in 10 minutes, and I recommend a couple of beers while you do it. they will help keep you refreshed and keep your patience up, and focus.

Good luck

woody
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:54 am

I think step #2, and especially #5, should really make the job lots more tolerable...LOL.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:09 am

Even if you manage to get the window out, you need to do a LOT of prep work. cleaning out the channel of all the old butle, eliminating ALL surface rust so the new seal actually seals, cleaning the glass edge, primering both surfaces, and gluing it back in the right way. Depending on the shape of your car, and where its from originally, it could turn into a rather large project!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:04 pm

its pretty easy just time consuming. the two side ones can be done by yourself with a putty knife and some sanding supplies. make sure you have some paint thinner, it cleans the old seal off real easy. your gonna need help for the back window its big and somewhat heavy. you can use some silicone to fill in the body seams if your car doesnt have the factory sealer. i got quoted 200 bucks to reaseal the windows. i did it myself for 20 bucks including paint to paint the speaker tray and around the back side windows
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 am

My rear glass is mostly self removed, and getting it out does not seem to be the hard part. It appears the glue/seal has a spacer to lift the glass up about .25". Anyone know how the best way to simulate this or what to use?

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:16 am

The back glass & windshield both had a "window ribbon" installed in the channel. It's made by 3M and it's avail in 5/16, 1/4, & 3/8" thickness.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/nsearch.html?query=3M+WINDOW+WELD

You need a primer also for the channel prior to the ribbon install and a fast cure urethane to seal in the channel as well to keep any standing water out.

Most of the glass places I've talked to don't even want to use it because it's so much easier for them to just lay down a big a$$ bead of urethane sealant & that's it. I'm going to do this the old fashioned way...LOL. Here's a good article on how to do it- best one I've found yet.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0402_how_to_install_and_replace_bond_in_glass/
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:29 am

Levine auto parts is in my town. THey have a lot of this type of stuff. Maybe a heat gun would help too,cheap at harbor frieght.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:33 pm

They're in Hartford CT too- going to snag some stuff from them when I'm out that way next. Decent prices on their website.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:34 pm

77mali wrote:They're in Hartford CT too- going to snag some stuff from them when I'm out that way next. Decent prices on their website.

Wish it was the same in their store. Im going to compare with their website next time I need something .

Paul,are going to the swap meet at Lake Compounce in Nov? I might go if the weather is ok.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:00 pm

I'd love to go, don't know for sure yet. Did you go up to Lake George for the car show? I have ZERO shows/meets under my belt this year. Does Compounce have a website?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Im not sure if Lake Compounce has a website for their swap meet. Its in Nov so its freakin cold there in the morning so the weather needs to be ok.
Lake George was great ! It rained Saturday afternoon but it cleared up later on.
I saw some G3's too,Bill was there with his 73 Monte (almost twin to mine) and the black 73 Chevelle the owner is a member on here too its got and LS motor and a 6 speed,I took a pic of it last year. Some others too. Try and make it next year. Im bringing my 73 next year.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Mali will be done by next Sept- God willing. Sounds awesome. Let me know for sure if you're going to CT & I will make every effort to be there & meet up with you...seriously! LOL.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Ok,I will let you know,yeah try and make that next year (Lake George) lots of cars there from MA too.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Maybe we can put a caravan together. Bicknell Welding is a good guy so is G3Nut (both MA)...Joe73 is down your way, right? Got a great set of interior trim panels off him. (Thanks, Joe!)
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Yeah ,would be fun,some sight too. You have to register for this show in Jan.

http://www.adirondacknationals.com/home.htm

Watch this you can see me waiting in line for my show sticker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Gjge34df8
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Stacey David was there? COOOOOL.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Yeah he was there too. The guy from My Classic car was there last year. I also saw Milner from aAmerican Graffiti there a few years ago.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 am

I missed out on that show this year! Too much work to get a break to run up there. Maybe next year tho, I'm 45min south of Albany so Lake George isn't a bad ride. I've only gotten to three small local shows this year, and its the same damn cars every time! lol

American Graffiti is my favorite movie Shocked
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:50 pm

In regard to removing the front & rear windows, I had a local auto glass place remove those on my Elco project, for 30 bucks. Rear window was in good shape, but windshield was cracked & tossed out. Bought the new windshield from The Parts Place, for $179. Shipping was another 50 bucks, in a huge box full of packing.
I bought the rope type 3/8" seals off of Ebay, for 13 bucks each plus shipping. Two people can mount the glass easy enough, but suction cups with handles make it easier. I also ran a bead of sealant around the joints after the glass was installed, to possibly prevent any future leaks.
Cleaning the old seals from the body is a bit labor intensive of course, and I had the body sand-blasted, including in the window openings to remove any rust spots..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm

ant7377 wrote:Yeah ,would be fun,some sight too. You have to register for this show in Jan.

http://www.adirondacknationals.com/home.htm

Watch this you can see me waiting in line for my show sticker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Gjge34df8

You're in there @ the 40 second mark!!! LOL- Did you know the person filming?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next