G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash restoration: I need another option!

+13
JiMi_DRiX
74Malibu383
Biomedtech
abajc3
Mcarlo77
pila
74MonteCarlo
alleyball4
JB2wheeler
The Dude
1973 454 MONTE
orange Juiced
bigredlaguna
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Empty Dash restoration: I need another option!

Post by HDHugger Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 pm

Just Dashes quoted me $1,000 to restore my dash. Anyone else have a suggestion? That's a little too rich for my blood!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Empty Re: Dash restoration: I need another option!

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:50 pm

If you do a plastic dash cap right, they look really nice.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Empty Re: Dash restoration: I need another option!

Post by HDHugger Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 pm

There was already one on there that I removed. I didn't like it because it didn't fit all the way up to the windshield.

I am wondering how bad it would be to remove the old vinyl, fill in any foam (it's pretty much all there) and lay some new vinyl or leather on it. My husband is pretty detailed when he does projects, maybe somebody has some pointers? Or another dash place that does good work.

All I know is that I don't feel like throwing a grand at the dash right now, but it has already been removed, so something has to be done!

I have until June to get it together.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm

I remember when dashes did not have all that stuff on them to dry out and split. All you had to do was put a little Simeniz on it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm

We are looking at the dash now, contemplating leather. I am thinking of taking the cracked areas off, sand around there, and maybe using some kind of fiberglass to fill in those spots, then a leather overlay. Wondering what kind of adhesive would hold up for many years. Also the thickness of the leather, and what to do with the speaker area.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Muscle Car show used flexible plastic repair to fix the dash on the Blue Collar Buick.

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/blue-collar-buick/40874
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:43 pm

i might have a 73 dash i would let go. but i will NOT ship and would like the buyer to look at it b4 an offer/price is talked about.
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 73red110
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 73red210
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 73red310
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 73red410
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the link BigRed, I've been waiting for that episode. I guess I missed it when it aired.

HD u can fiberglass ur dash and wrap it or paint it. Here's a link to a lowrider forum that I go to, this topic has pretty much a step by step on how the glass the dash.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s=7f8591953d763c816ffa779b6ff94f3a&showtopic=478842
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 pm

this was in my brothers basement at one time.
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Dash10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 pm

Chris! I remember those pictures... wow. Thats crazy. Why did he have all those again?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Chris! I remember those pictures... wow. Thats crazy. Why did he have all those again?

they were/are mine. he had a BIG basemant he did not use,and i needed a place to put them.hehe
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 pm

Nice brother, lol.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey Andrej (abajc3)...how about you post a pic of your reconditioned dash in leather for HDHugger to see? I thought it turned out pretty nice.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 am

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Armaturka-7

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Armaturka-6

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Armaturka-5

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! Armaturka-4

here it is, let me know if you are interested in any particular details so i can snap some additional photos during the weekend. i cant find any before photos at the moment, but it was a mess. i filled the cracks with some kind of silicone first, so it stays flexible, then i gave it to the guy who did the leather. he reinforced it with fiberglass first (the edges where it goes under the pillar trim were almost gone), then padded it with a 2mm sponge and put leather over it. it feels awesome to touch and it looks good too. he said that he had hard time dressing it up, so you might reconsider doing it yourself. much like your husband i like the job to be done right too, so there are some things that still bother me:
- if you look towards the sun, you can see the slight ridge where the cracks used to be
- because there is a stich on the upper right corner of the instrument panel, the dash bezel doesnt go in all the way and you cant screw it in on that corner. it frustrates me as hell and i spent numerous hours trying to get it in but all i did was break the bezel more than it already was.

i eliminated the speaker hole, because the speaker wasnt connected even before that, so i let it go. if you decide to pad it, try to be a little conservative around surfaces that bolt to something/have something bolted on them. it will save you some cursing and frustration:)

i almost forgot, the price was 180 euros, which is around 250$. less than a dash pad+shipping+customs would cost me, and i prefer leather than plastic pad that might not even fit. i removed and installed it myself, i also separated upper and lower parts and filled the cracks.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 pm

http://www.dashboardrestorations.com/
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

I think I'm gonna glass mine & paint it black. I'm liking the look. It reminds me of the steel dashes in REALLY old cars.

The leather dash would be neat in a car that you wanted that luxury feel. Especially if you had power windows, locks, seats, etc....

Here's another 'glassed dash. This one's pretty wild for most people's tastes, but it really would look good solid black.

dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 33097200434_large
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

Rago wrote:It reminds me of the steel dashes in REALLY old cars.

Like this? Wink
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 29156_126661940691453_100000429431519_226985_1243393_n
dash - Dash restoration: I need another option! 29156_126662000691447_100000429431519_226997_7951580_n

That's the dash of my Plymouth.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Exactly what I was talking about! Metal dashes have always been something that I enjoyed about older cars & trucks. I'm sure fiberglass isn't going to give you the exact same effect, but would be close. JMHO
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Smile Cool

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Kyle, I don't see the air bags in that Plymouth! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm

great looking dash Kyle !!
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks Tony!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 am

I've used two of the plastic caps. Only thing I didn't like was how they fit around the outlets for AC etc. I re-painted around the outlets with the interior paint for plastic, before mounting the cap, and what shows after that isn't noticeable, since it's the same paint as on the cap.

And I don't glue the caps on. I use screws in the stock places across the top, and add some across the bottom and ends.

Leather is a great way to go. I thought about doing the Elco with leather while it was out, but I had enough to do without getting into that project.......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:36 am

Update... in mid-March I sent my dash in to a place called Dash Restorations in Washington. They quoted me 6 - 8 weeks. It's now been over 3 months. Every time I call, they lie to me and tell me it will ship next week. Funny how Holley sent in their dash a week AFTER mine and they have had their dash back and the car on the road since June 3rd. My husband called and asked them WTF? and they told him that Holley has a schedule and car shows so they needed it back right away. Like I don't??? What happened to first come, first serve like the guy told me when we called them in March? I am the officer in my car club and have no dashboard, therefore, no car to take to the shows. This place sucks. They better have that dash f***ing perfect when I get it back! Whenever that may be....

By the way, if they would have sent it back when they were supposed to, it would have been before my husband had to take off work on short term disability for a bulged disc, and now if I want my dash back together before the end of summer, I will have to pay somebody to install it. DO NOT TRUST DASH REPLACEMENTS!

I will keep you posted on the outcome....

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:04 am

I feel your frustration, Jackie. Summers are too short up here in the Northland to have to sit on the sidelines without your car to cruise in. Don't understand what these guys are thinking by lying about completing the job. Be straight up with the customer and QUIT granting favors to those who squawk a little louder about needing their car done ahead of others. It only makes things worse and alienates you as a future customer...along with possibly many others who hear of their poor service. Keep on them!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next