G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just another one from across the big pond

5 posters

Go down

just another one from across the big pond Empty just another one from across the big pond

Post by 74maroonmonte Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi guys, I found this website through a link on the A-body Showcase website and decided I had to sign up here too. I own a 1974 Monte Carlo and a 1975 Buick Century Gran Sport. And out here in The Netherlands these cars are kinda rare. Specially the Buicks, you don't see a lot of 73-77 Regal/Century models around here. There are a quite a few Montes though, I try to find pictures of most of them, so that I have a clue of how many there are in my country: https://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/FreeBird87/Dutch%20Monte%20Carlo%2073-77/

just another one from across the big pond DSC00002-4

I bought the 1974 "Maroon Monte" from Tommy (Tommy2bits) in 2005. I got to know him through the A-Body Showcase Yahoo group, and after about 3 months emailing back and forth about the car (lot's of info, pics and video's) I decided to buy this car. Back in Texas it got 4 brand new tires and a good low miles SBC 350 (out of '76 Malibu Wagon). Because the 305 that was in there at that time was dying of age. Tommy did the engine swap for me, and she went across the atlantic. About a month later she got here. It was so cool to see this Detroit dinosaur for the first time in real life. At that point I decided to really fix her up. I knew the car wasn't in showroom condition, I knew all the bad spots from pics. But I can be pretty much of a perfectionist at times, and I decided to really fix her up (at first I planned on only fixing the most important things and just drive it for now). Well, that was 3 years ago. You would think she would be done by now, or in the final stages anyway. But unfortunatly that's not the case. She is getting there, but far from done. I have a pretty busy life, an some things just go before a car. It is also not stored right here at my home. Not far away though, she is garage stored at my grandfathers place. I work on it when I can. But in early 2007 I bought the Buick, and that car also needed some attention. I do drive that one occasionally (not a daily driver though). Getting another classis car when you already have a project car really slows your project down lol. This is where I'm at right now:
https://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/FreeBird87/

Technically she is fine. But cosmetically it could use some TLC. Specially the floorboars were bad. I got new pieces welded back in there. I got a truckfloor to from a donor car (also the floarboards, came from a 1974 Chevelle Malibu). I still need to cut out the old trunkfloor. After that the rear quarters need some attention. I already got the doors and fenders sanded and coated. But they still need to be taken do a body show to straighten them out here and there (the car has it's fair share of little dings and dents). The front seats will be re-upholstered and of course new paint. Again some maroon-ish. And probably a 1/2 black vinyl roof again. It once was a Landau, medium blue metallic with a 1//2 white vinyl roof. I hope it will someday look something like this one:
https://2img.net/h/i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/FreeBird87/Dutch%20Monte%20Carlo%2073-77/PICT0012.jpg

just another one from across the big pond DSC00004-4

I got this 75 Buick in 2007. I saw it for sale on the internet and the price was great. Almost too good to be true. I took the phone and contacted the guy right away. Turned out I was the first caller and he put it up just about 20 minutes ago. The car was in Belgium by the way, near Antwerp (where it was once built also, GM Antwerp plant). We talked on the phone about the car and he promised to take some more pics of the car (critical areas etc.). That evenening I got his email with a whole bunch of pics and everything looked good. We made an appointment for me to come over and see the car. Well, right then and there I decided to buy it. For that price I couldn't go wrong really. It has a few rust spots on the front fenders (bottom), the bottom of the doors and around the rear window, but nothing too shocking. The rest of the car is rock solid, spotless. The body is pretty straigth too. It once was silver metallic but they must have painted it bright red a few years ago (iI can only imagine how cool it looked with all the black GS striping). Wich was done pretty good. The interior is about spotless as well. Great white seats (bucket seats) and a cool floor shifter. Dash is just awesome, no cracks or anything. Headliner and all panels are in great condition too. Only the carpet was bad, it was the original carpet. It about fell apart. But I took all the seats out and the carpet. Checked the floorboards, wich were rock solid too, and I coated it with POR15. Tommy, do you remember the pieces of black carpet you put in the front of the Monte before you sent it my way? Well I use those pieces of carpet in the Buick now Wink . The engine is a 231 V6. Bone stock, but turned out to be VERY reliable. I actually started to love this little engine. Never gave me any trouble what so ever (so far...). Only gave it a tune up soon after I got the car. Okay, it's not exactly a powerfull engine, full of smog parts and has to move this fairly heavy car (this is not exactly a Monza, Vega or Skyhawk). So a little underpowered, but very reliable and not terribly slow either. That thing still has some good torque. Transmission is a TH350 and it has a limited slip diff. It came with plain old steel wheels, but I swapped them with the wheels that were on the Monte. This looks way better (I drive this car, the Monte is only sitting). So far I fixed all kinds of small stuff on the Buick. Mainly to get it passed inspection here. Earlier this year I made my own dual exhaust (stainless steel) with glasspacks. Now everybody thinks I put in a V8 Cool The little V6 roars lol. It is great fun driving cars like these. But this one needs the rear coil springs replaced now. I already got me a set here. Still need to replace them of maybe let someone else do it. It is a real Gran Sport, wich is pretty rare. But nothin too special. By 1975 is was only a GS 'option package'. Only some minor things, not really high performace stuff.
Recently I bought a 1970 Buick 350 engine. My plans are to swap it with the V6 in the near future. Somehow it just ain't the same. I want a V8. The 350 is in good condition, already has some power goodies (heads have been flowed and ported, 4-bbl intake and carb) and 1970 is a good year anyway. But I'm in the process of taking it apart right now. I work at an engine shop, so I'm thinking of just rebuilding it. I don't have any hurry to swap it with the V6 anytime soon. This time of year I don't drive it much (they put salt on our roads here!). But I'm getting myself more and more swamped it work lol, I quess this is about enough projects for now.

https://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/FreeBird87/1975%20Buick%20Century%20GS/

Oh well, this is getting kinda long, I'll post more stuff about me and my cars a long the way. This forum looks like fun! (I've already seen a couple of familliar names and cars Wink )

Hans
74maroonmonte
74maroonmonte
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

just another one from across the big pond Empty Re: just another one from across the big pond

Post by yogreasygramma Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Hans, it is great to hear from you!! Welcome to the forum!! Your cars are cool, and I'm really glad you made it over here!! You know, I was hoping you'd join up. Now there are at least four of us from Europe on this forum. I do hope we can get to meet up one day in person, but it would be a lot easier for you guys in the Benelux countries (and France - not too far) than for me in Warsaw. By the way, what's your email address so we can stay in touch?

I recently read Tommy's website and the description of your Monte. It looks like it's been through quite a lot! I'm glad you have it and are restoring it. One day I hope to see the finished product. Are you going to paint it red metallic (code 74)? My recently purchased Monte is that color. I think it's a fantastic color.

Good luck on the GS as well. That's a fine ride!
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

just another one from across the big pond Empty Re: just another one from across the big pond

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:26 pm

You have two fine cars there. Its a good thing you put the new tires on the Monte over here instead of waiting till you got it home, that saved you some tariff tax. I never liked the looks of the Buick compared to the Chevy and Oldsmobile, but when equipted with the handling package they could easily outmanuver the others. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Welcome and Nice Cars!

just another one from across the big pond SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 74maroonmonte Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:06 am

yogreasygramma wrote:Hans, it is great to hear from you!! Welcome to the forum!! Your cars are cool, and I'm really glad you made it over here!! You know, I was hoping you'd join up. Now there are at least four of us from Europe on this forum. I do hope we can get to meet up one day in person, but it would be a lot easier for you guys in the Benelux countries (and France - not too far) than for me in Warsaw. By the way, what's your email address so we can stay in touch?

I recently read Tommy's website and the description of your Monte. It looks like it's been through quite a lot! I'm glad you have it and are restoring it. One day I hope to see the finished product. Are you going to paint it red metallic (code 74)? My recently purchased Monte is that color. I think it's a fantastic color.

Good luck on the GS as well. That's a fine ride!

Hey Mike! It would be great to meet up sometime. I think it will happen, someday someway somehow.
My contact information is on my profile page here.
Yeah this Monte has a history Wink I'm glad I know pretty much about that history. I love the 74 you recently bought! That sure is a great color. But I think I'm going for more of a maroon-ish color.
74maroonmonte
74maroonmonte
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by the Baron Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 am

Hi Hans ,

Welcome on board !

greetings from Belgium !

The Baron

the Baron
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down