G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

77 Cutlass Race Weight

3 posters

Go down

77 Cutlass Race Weight Empty 77 Cutlass Race Weight

Post by oldstofty Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 am

Just weighed the 77 on all four corners, time to buy new springs. It weighed a little less than what I thought but thats a good thing. 3430lbs. Any one have any other ideas to lighten it up? already has Glass bumpers, 2 fiberglass race seats, No rear seat, fuel cell, aluminum wheels, and some rust Smile
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

77 Cutlass Race Weight Empty Re: 77 Cutlass Race Weight

Post by The Dude Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 am

Damn that's good news! Big block or small block?

Engine lightening >>> aluminum heads, intake, water pump, carb. Composite valve covers, lightweight starter.

Aluminum radiator.

Take out any & all heater/AC stuff if you haven't already. That stuff weighs a ton.

Might check for fiberglass doors, trunk, & hood. I want to say Unlimited had that stuff for Cutlasses.

Get rid of the inner fenders or get some plastic ones from a 73 if they will fit.

Lose the power steering & power brakes.

Tubular control arms.

Lighter battery like an Optima.

Cut out big A$$ beams in your doors. They are called crash bars for a reason, but if you primarily use this as a track car then you could be saving a lot of weight just by losing them. I want to say that I've heard close to 80 lbs can be lost cutting these out.

I've been thinking of a way to get rid of the bumper shocks all together & haven't come up with a good solution. Knocking out all four of them should net you 50 lbs by my guess. You already solved the heavy bumper problem. Bet that's where a lot of your weight savings came in.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 am

BBO with Steel heads aluminum intake holley carb, 3 core heavy radiator. Heater, AC, and power brakes are gone. already has plastic inner fenders. Suspension gets to expensive to quick lol. still has the crash bars. does have an 8pt cage. Bumper shocks are gone.
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am

also Rago VFN fiberglass has the trunks and stuff way cheaper than Unlimited

Last edited by Limey on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:31 am

If i cut out the door bars, would i have to pin the windows up? do they interfere at all with windows?
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:35 am

If I remember the windows will still work with out the crash bars my buddy took his out as well for his car to lose weight

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

Doesn't appear to have anything at all to do with the windows. If you take off your door panels & look into the door, you will see the bar up against the outer skin. It looks like a big flat piece of double plates that goes from the front of the door to the back. Not 100% sure of how you would go about cutting them out, but I have heard of people that have performed this mod. I have thought about doing it myself.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 am

ok maybe ill give that a try. I should have the car out next week or the week after to do a little testing will post up pictures for sure. car hasnt been out of the garage since the middle July when I put the motor in lol
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down