G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two problems

+3
The Dude
Jedediah
Laguna Budman
7 posters

Go down

Two problems Empty Two problems

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:11 pm

1. I have a set of American Racing rims each with a locking lug nut and no key. I've tried using the Gator Grip, vice grips, hammering a socket onto it, and even the emergency lug nut remover (which, by the way, just stripped itself out on the lug nut and cost me $46). Any other thoughts on getting this thing off?
2. The upper and lower control arm ball joints. How do you get them off? Is there a special tool?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Two problems Empty Re: Two problems

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:36 pm

the upper joints if factory are held on by 4 rivets. sledge and chizel will work or a grinder.

lowers will have to be pressed in and out. im going to do mine tomorow with a ball joint tool (some big C-clamp with some cylinder things)

cant help with the nut tho,sorry
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:06 am

Spot weld a lugnut to it.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:56 am

I would find the diameter of the studs center punch the lug nut and start with a small drill bit and work your way up the drill bit index use rapid tap or another drilling oil to keep from burning up bits, til you get it. cost you a new stud but I think this is what i would try i dont have a welder but i like budmans idea too.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:32 am

I had the same problem with those lugnuts before. PITA, but hammering a lugnut on worked for me. You gotta get one that's just barely too tight to slide over the locking lug & slam it on with a mini sledge hammer. Right before it comes off of the lug after you loosen it, just give it a good "pop" & the socket will pop out of the lugnut.

Since you said you tried this already with no luck, I would assume Budman has the only solution here. I have heard of larger tire shops having a tool that can remove them though. Might be worth calling around to your local shops as they might even have a different solution.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:57 pm

So I finally figured it out. My little Dremel cut a big enough gouge in the lug nut (with the help of a chisel) that I could fit my Gator Grip over it and spin it off. The bad news is that it's going to take me about 2 days to get them off because the Dremel's battery only holds enough charge to do one at a time.
Two problems Img_0524
Two problems Img_0525
Two problems Img_0526
Two problems Img_0527
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Congrats on getting them off.

Man... Go buy a 4.5" angle grinder from Home Depot. Be nice to it while you use it, and then take it back if you don't want to keep it. It would make short work of that project.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:31 pm

way to go. Beer
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:51 pm

I use my 4" grinder for lots of things like that. Once you have one around, you will want to keep it. Cut-off wheels come in 10 packs, and work great for cutting out rusty floors etc.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down