G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching From Mopar To GM

+10
JiMi_DRiX
1973 454 MONTE
Biomedtech
El Road
Leike
Mcarlo77
JB2wheeler
74MonteCarlo
bigredlaguna
mrimax
14 posters

Go down

Switching From Mopar To GM Empty Switching From Mopar To GM

Post by mrimax Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Good evening, Well since I'm new I guess I need to introduce myself. My name is Joe and I'm a Private Investigator currently residing in Hollywood Fl. I have always enjoyed working on cars and even at 49 I still do. It's what I do to escape the insanity of an insane world.

My first car was a 1969 Pontiac Tempest T-37 at 17. Crazy learning and driving experiences in that car but a joy from what I remember. Numerous cars in between but one of my favorites was a 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix which unfortunately I wrapped around a telephone pole on Miami Beach on a night I'd like to forget back in 85. It was Black with a red interior, it was a favorite. Anyway after years of being away back in August of last year the bug bit me again and I found an old favorite, a 1973 Dodge Challenger which took a while to finish but it finally was done in March of this year.

Switching From Mopar To GM 1973_d12

I know my luck and the signs were there so I sold my baby and looked for a new project. I recently came across Betty, my new project a 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix out of GA. Apparently it was owned by a lady who never drove it and when she passed away 6 years ago it was left to her son who basically let it sit. The car supposedly has 39000 miles on it and the way it drives it appears to be correct.

Switching From Mopar To GM Photo10

The biggest problem I have encountered is the surface rust and the rust under the vinyl top. Mechanically it has taken some time to get it running smoothly: Tune Up was required, Quadrajet was replaced and it seems to finally being running better today. Left a nice strip of rubber on the street today from a stop so thats a start. I am having a problem currently with an oil leak from somewhere above the oil filter. It had stopped after I replaced the Oil Pressure Switch last week but started again today. I changed the oil two weeks ago and there's a fram oil filter on it now (yeah I know there crap, but there were no K & N, Mobile 1, or Wix filters available when I got the oil at pep boys and plan on changing it at the first opportunity.

Anyone else have any problems with oil leaking from above the oil filter (possibly oil filter assembly?) and have any suggestions about finding the leak? It only happens when the car is running and it only started after I changed the oil. Here are a few additional pictures

Switching From Mopar To GM Photo210
Switching From Mopar To GM Photo310
Switching From Mopar To GM Photo110
Another problem appears to be a moisture issue. Car is leaking around both windshield and rear window as well as both side windows causing humidity in the car which is why there is surface rust throughout the inside of the car. Have to find a solution for that. Also anyone know of an aftermarket company that does dashes for these? Any help would be appreciated. Look forward to getting to know the site and people here....

Joe

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Switching From Mopar To GM Empty Re: Switching From Mopar To GM

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Beautiful car!

I would have a glass shop remove the glass and reseal.

There is a company called Just Dashes that can refurbish any dash you send them. Expect a $1000+ bill.

bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Nice GP.

Nothing wrong with being a MoPar & GM guy!

I have a Mopar, with my GM's.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Welcome Joe. I have had several Dodges, one a 64 Dart GT 4 speed convertible and I had a 68 Dart GT convertible and , well, I have had dozens of great cars over my lifetime. I love Pontiacs and it looks like you picked up a good one. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 am

Welcome to the site, Joe...and nice triple black GP! Unfortunately, you're going to experience what the rest of us have found...that damage-free dashes for your GP are next to impossible to find. The only "A" body dash that was more cumbersome to remove than on a Monte/Chevelle was one I tried to remove from a GP. Couple years ago, had found a mint condition red one and, after at least an hour's work, was one bolt away from detaching it for removal when one end slipped down, causing the dash to twist a little and cracking the top in three places. Perfectly good dash ruined...

Anyway, will keep an eye out for 'ya!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Leike Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:04 am

Welcome cheers
I like your ride !
Leike
Leike
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by El Road Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:45 am

I like a little bit of everything including Mopar and GM. Two dream cars are a 69 GTO and 71 Cuda. Anyway the Chally looks nice and I'm sure you'll do well with the GP.

El Road
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Welcome back from the DARKSIDE lol
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Welcome
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 pm

If you have the glass removed to be resealed, you most likely will have to do a little metal/rust repair. The channel needs to be clean before it can sealed again. I would remove the bottom of the rear seat and check the floors for moisture as well.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Welcome to the fun Joe ! Very Happy
Some years ago I had a '62 Dodge 2-door, which I removed the 318 and bolted in a 440. Other than that, I had a bunch of Chrysler hemi engines that I installed in various bodies. My favorite of those was a '37 Furd pickup which I chopped & channeled over the frame. In those days, the early Cadillac/LaSalle transmissions were popular for holding up to big engines, and I used a few of those. I also had a '54 New Yorker, with a hemi engne.
Your engine with the oil leak has an adapter bolted on the block for the oil filter if I remember correctly., and maybe that's the source of the leak (?) seem to remember a gasket or an O-ring.....

Have fun !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Joe- welcome!
The leaks from all the areas you described are fairly typical of this generation A body. I have all the same leak issues you have described and I have a Chevelle. I made the decision to change my car to a hardtop after I discovered the original saddle top under the black one that was on the car when I bought it. It required a lot of work to do and I got lucky that the corrosion under the top was not too severe. My rear glass has been cut out & waiting for re-install for a while. I've looked at 3M brand "ribbons" which are supposed to be installed to the glass as a bedding material in conjunction with the urethane sealant but decided to get the car looked at by a glass company. By today's standards the sealants they used for glazing in the 70's are dinosaurs. If the car is drivable- take it to a reputable auto glass company. They can also do the operas very easily and w/ better materials- both mine leak due to the vinyl top material being tucked in around the rough openings (and failure from age).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 am

Welcome
Nice find
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by loganbreitsprecher Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 pm

why did you decide to go from mopar to gm cause my godfather is a mopar freak he has a 1968 barracuda convertible and he gives me so much whoa nelly for driving a chevy
loganbreitsprecher
loganbreitsprecher
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down