G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing

+2
The Dude
BlackChevelleSS
6 posters

Go down

horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing Empty horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 am

It is with great sadness that we announce the closing of Tulsa Raceway Park, effective October 24, 2011. When Tulsa International Raceway was purchased in 2003, the decision was made to tear down and replace the existing facility with the hopes of restoring the drag strip to its glory days. With the help of many hard working employees and loyal racers and fans, we grew year after year. Unfortunately, the economy over the last three years has taken its toll.

I appreciate the many people who helped me along the way make Tulsa Raceway Park one of the finest race tracks in the Midwest and hope that someone is able to continue the drag racing tradition that Tulsa has embraced for 46 years. For those racers who achieved success this year, we are planning the Champions’ Banquet for early November so they can be honored by their fellow racers.

We’re not done yet, either. Besides the Throw Down in T-Town race scheduled for October 14-15, the Diesel Drags and Mod vs. Rod race on October 22 and the Duck Drags on October 22, several of you have asked for one last bracket race. We are looking at having that race on October 16.

I wish each one of you success in the future, whether it be on the track or elsewhere, and look forward to the opening of the next, new drag strip.

horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing Empty Re: horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing

Post by jrb75 Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am

NO WAY...I havent gotten to go there near as much as I wanted too. Took my boys there last year and I'll never forget the looks on their faces and the drool.
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing Empty Re: horrible news, tulsa raceway park is closing

Post by The Dude Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:39 am

Well this sucks.... Looks like I'll be sticking with Mo-Kan for local stuff or traveling up North to Heartland Park for the big races. Sad

Not sure what all of you Tulsa guys will do, but my guess would be more street racing. Hopefully someone will buy the strip & reopen it.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I heard about this earlier this week. A Route 66 friend of mine in Tulsa sent me a note about it. Sorry it's closing.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You know it don't seem right" __ Bobbie Gentry __ 'Ode To Billie Joe'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by jrb75 Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 am

Got a couple tickets at BOK, taking the wife Sat for the last Throw Down in T-Town!!!
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 am

For the life of me I can't understand why all these small tracks are being torn down. Use to have a race track here called manzanita speedway and it was the most fun you could haves on a Friday/saturday night for 10 bucks.and then bam no more race track one day its just gone
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by jrb75 Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Here now, man I missed this. Got the wife with me, maybe ill get my car allowance increased after tonight...lol
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 am

billy-ray wrote:For the life of me I can't understand why all these small tracks are being torn down. Use to have a race track here called manzanita speedway and it was the most fun you could haves on a Friday/saturday night for 10 bucks.and then bam no more race track one day its just gone
What it boils down to is that the land a race track is on is so valuable to subdivision developers that track owners see their annual tax bill and then see an offer from a developer and they can;t resist the temptation to sell out. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down