G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE

+13
Oldschool454
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
77mali
bitterfitter
JiMi_DRiX
texan01
McCauley5983
coreys73chevelle
Limey SE
BlackChevelleSS
Hydro King
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 Empty Re: SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 am

1973montec wrote:chris has an HEI dizzy in his monte,tach has always worked for him.
maybe your tach is dead.
What year is his monte? did tach come factory or did he install it himself? And if so, what year vehicle did tach come out of?
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 Empty Re: SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE

Post by Hawk03 Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:42 am

I'll be doing this soon as well and from what I have read some tachs work, even without a filter, with the HEI and others don't but there is nothing concrete on why that is. I haven't been able to find a solution as to what can be done to make the tach work using a filter or other besides having the tachman put a new board on it. If my tach doesn't work, I'll just be installing a aftermarket tach instead of using the tach man.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:25 am

my cluster was factory installed in a 73 350 monte that i bought in dec of 88. it still had points and i drove it for 2 weeks.than it caught fire.
sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 2-73s-10
the cluster and complete harness was than put into another ^73^ 350 with points,than converted to HEI.drove that for 10 years with no problems.

the same cluster is now in my 73-454 monte with HEI for the past 11 years.
sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 Cam210

all im saying is that no matter what dizzy i had the tach has always worked.  maybe you need to have your tach tested. it could of been just time for it to take a  Turd 
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:43 am

hmmm....Yeah maybe. Just weird timing for it to break I guess
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Oldschool454 wrote:sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 Dsc_7111 this is what I just put in recently. Just has aftermarket gauges except for fuel gauge. I just hardwired that to dash harness. Couldn't get the tach to work though..

I noticed your laguna is a 4 speed. Do you have any info or pictures in doing this swap? I'm considering changing my el camino over to a 4 speed since I have all the parts (I think) to do the swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

Oldschool454 wrote:SUCCESS!!! Well i got my new ss dash today and just got finished converting the old square idiot light style dash over to the new one. Took me about an hour of just sitting looking at and tracing the wires on the circuit sheet and looking at what bruisr posted as far as what color wires do what. You said it was in no specific order but mine actually went in the exact order you posted it in 1-18 with the exception of the way you have it listed #2 and 3 were backwards. When I turned ign on the brake light came on and when I pressed e-brake the oil light came on. lol! So I switched them and WHAMO. fixed. Only thing I didn't hook up was Amp meter but fuel, temp, and tach all work great! Had to get right sending unit for temp. a whole 8 bucks. I'll put some pics up of it so far....

I looked over the harness and wiring over the weekend and need some clarification. Did you splice into the wires coming from the fuse block and attach pins to them to plug them into the harness? My harness is the same as yours ('77 Malibu) and I didn't have some of the wires that are listed already plugged in the harness. For instance, I didn't have a yellow wire in the harness. I also had one tan wire and one tan and white wire, do I need to splice the tan wire to attach to the two pins that require the tan wire? I also have 3 black wires, are they all the same?

The factory harness

sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 20140814

sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 20140815
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

I'm unable to put up/view pics now but I can look when I get home. I didn't have to splice any wires. I had all the wires I needed with the exception of the tach signal wire. And I am 98% sure that all three black wires are grounds. I had a wire, maybe two, left over when I was done (not including the 2 wires I didn't hook up for volt gauge) and I think it was a black wire but I'd have to check again.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:44 am

...And also, I didn't have any yellow wires either. Those are indicated as being for the seat belt light and I wasn't too concerned about it so I didn't look into adding my own wires to make that work though I'm sure you can, I just don't know how.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Cool, thanks! That makes me feel better, I relocated the pins but I didn't try to see if anything worked.
I'm not too worried about the seat belt light either.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Let me know when you try it if it all works ok. Very Happy
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:07 am

Finally got my gauges wired over the weekend and they all work! The only difference was the fuel gauge wire was Tan with white stripe. The solid tan wire was for the seat belts. Also make sure you relocate the studs for the gauge to connect to the dash. The lights for the Fasten Seat Belts and Tail Gate Ajar do not light up but I'm not worried about those.

Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Great to hear! Congrats! I still haven't done anything with the tach that stopped working on mine but I found out a tach circuit board off a 78 camaro works and will bolt on to our cars gauge cluster. I've seen them for about 60-80 bucks on ebay. So just waiting to pull the trigger and finish that. But glad it worked out for you. I know for me personally not being too good with wiring it was especially exciting to know everything worked after getting it all switched over and hooked up. And it def gives it a more sporty look compared to that old square dash and idiot lights.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks, the guidance in this thread helped me out a bunch.

It was also the first time I was able to run the new engine and I was so glad to hear it run, it sounds great. The tach works but its nice to know about the option of another tach board since I don't know how long this one will be alive for. I'll try and post some pics, I have the white faces with red lights, it looks really good and lot more sporty than the sweep gauges.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Showtime73 Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 pm

So I have to bring this up again. I have 73 Chevelle round gauges, but my flex circuit is trash. I do have a decent Monte round gauge flex, but the pinout is obviously diff. Right now, I have one light working and it comes on when I turn on my headlights. Can I repin the Monte Flex to work the lights? I'm using all aftermarket gauges, so the only signal I need from the harness is fuel, and I'll hardwire it after looking through several post.
Showtime73
Showtime73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:43 pm

I had the "tachman" do one for a 73 el Camino SS 454 for me about 3 years ago and it was 250.00 plus the shipping. It worked perfect as he replaced the old board and put on his. I am getting ready to send him another one that looks NOS but will not work. His address is H & H Electrical. North Highway 101, in Greer, South Carolina 29651 and his number is (864) 895-4404. He has a very quick turn around, had it back in about 4 days-hope this helps-Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Showtime73 Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:14 pm

This is my cluster now, I just need the flex circuit for for turn signals and fuel voltage. I'll probably end up hard-wiring both.

sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 MzckVG1
sweep to round gauge - SWITCHING FROM SWEEP TO ROUND GAUGE CLUSTER RE-WIRE - Page 3 Sn0UzSC
Showtime73
Showtime73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 am

If all that's left are turn signals and fuel voltage, I wouldn't waste any time with the flex circuit -- it'll just be in the way. It makes more sense to just wire them individually.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3