G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outdoor Car Covers

4 posters

Go down

Outdoor Car Covers Empty Outdoor Car Covers

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Read a post on another site concerning a Summer Sale on car covers at www.BuyAutoCovers.com

They are offering their top-of-the-line Superior Guard 5L for $174.50 (shipped). And, with a $25 coupon code (ThankYou25) at checkout, brings it down to $149.50. Now, I am wondering if I should pull the trigger on something like this as my Project '75 will be sitting outside in the rain/snow this winter (and, probably subsequent winters, too). I don't know squat about outdoor car covers, but those "other guys" say it's made of a Noah fabric...which is supposedly one of the best and usually sells for nearly double the sale price. Then again, it's not like I'm protecting a restored car. Anyone have any insight on what would be an adequate cover for outdoor winter storage here in the Midwest? Not too soon to be thinking about the upcoming winter months when you live in MN!!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Outdoor Car Covers Empty Re: Outdoor Car Covers

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 pm

I use a walmart cover when I need one. I used to store my 64 Dodge Dart convertible under a carport with the cover over it. Had good luck with that until I had a minor heart attack and while I was in the hospital we got an ice storm with about 10 inches of snow on top 3 inches of ice. Poor carport! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 pm

is it over dirt or pavement ? read that out site car cover bad for long term storage but not 100%
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 pm

It will be sitting on an asphalt driveway. I'm wanting to keep the rain/snow from getting inside due to bad weatherstripping...yet, don't want moisture getting trapped underneath the cover and causing rust.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 pm

What you have to be careful of is the car needas to breath. Car covers are made with a water repellant on them, but the fabric has to breath to let out any moisture that gets under the cover. I used to wash my car cover while it was still on the car and it never hurt anything. Never put something like a Harbor Freight plastic tarp over a car! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 am

I bought a cheapie from Pep Boys to cover my 75. I just want to keep the water out during the rain. But its also breathable, moisture doesnt get trapped. It does its job, and cost me $60. They make slightly nicer ones with mirror pockets and tougher material for just a few bucks more.

Otherwise, when I have a garage and need to cover the restored beauties, I'll go to California Car Cover!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down