G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe)

+3
Limey SE
BlackChevelleSS
McCauley5983
7 posters

Go down

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) Empty 73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe)

Post by McCauley5983 Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:04 pm

im not sure but i think firebird/camaro suspension peices might fit on our cars. i read somewhere that chevelles took firebird and camaro suspension features so i think they might work

this is a chevelle stock spindle
73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) Chevel10

this is an aftermarket firebird camaro 2" drop spindle
73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) Camaro10
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) Empty Re: 73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe)

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:10 pm

there fixed the pics for ya

I heard that the front suspension is the same as well on 2nd gen camaros and 3rd gen chevelles.

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) Empty Re: 73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe)

Post by Limey SE Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:30 pm

just from the pics i am gonna have to say no, they wont interchange, top and bottom of the camaro spindle more even up up and down ...........and the chevelle has a longer bottom arm, and that back where it bolts up has more of a V type slant to it on the camaro one as well. BUT thats just my observation

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:46 pm

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) Spindles

stock camaro spindles

73 firebird/camaro suspension same as 73-77 a body? (maybe) SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:51 pm

ok it got rid of the V angle problem but it still doesnt look ike it will fit in the front area

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Autobodyman Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:13 pm

They do use the same spindle. I used the Mchauhey's 2 in drop spindle for camaro/ firebird on my laguna. I was able to look up the original part #'s, and they were the same.

Autobodyman
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:35 pm

the spindles are the very same part, and i think even the control arms are the same- but the steering linkage is different due to the difference in track width.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 am

Surprised Interesting! I'm always interested in parts interchange. Any suspension parts direct interchange between '73 - '77 Chevelle and mid-'80s to mid-'90s Caprice or Impala SS B-body?

If they are still there, I may have access to spindles with 12" HD brakes from a 1994 9C1 cop car that was parted out. These cars have the 5 on 5" big car wheel pattern, but that's no big deal,as I have a set of 15" X 7" cop car wheels and a buddy may still have a set of the 15" X 8" Chevy truck rally wheels (same bolt pattern) in his shop as well.

Thanks,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 pm

the later Caprice spindles bolt in, but you need to change the lower balljoint, i think. do some research, 'cuz i might be off on that.
for the wheel bolt pattern, get a set of brake rotors for a 92 Z28 with the HD brakes- they use the very same rotor as the B bodies, but drilled with the smaller bolt pattern. they are around $35 each at most places.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun May 24, 2009 11:58 am

I have camaro drop spindles on the front of mine.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Sun May 31, 2009 4:15 am

Thanks, novaderrik! Good info...... I'll check that out. I would really like to fit 12" rotors up front when building my chassis.

Hydro, thanks! Regarding the aftermarket drop spindles...... Which supplier did you use? I understand some are cast now rather than forged like the OEM parts and I want to be very careful about strength and quality.

There is a lot of negative feedback just now regarding inferiour castings for rotors, brake drums and flywheels (castings that originated in China and were machined and boxed for sale here Stateside). So I want to be sure not to unknowingly pick up any of the questionable ChiCom stuff for my car.

Thanks,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down