G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you guys think any harm will come out of------>

+10
Wallyuph
dragons_lair59
Limey SE
carcass
Laguna Budman
alive 75
dynchel
Sleddogg
BicknellWelding
Pontichev327
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Empty do you guys think any harm will come out of------>

Post by alive 75 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 am

Driving my Monte about 10 miles to a muffler shop with open shorty headers ?????? ...... speeds will range between 30-55...
let me know what ya think. thanks Danny
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Empty Re: do you guys think any harm will come out of------>

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 am

As long as it's not a cool day. Don't want to suck up cool air and fudge up your valves.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Empty Re: do you guys think any harm will come out of------>

Post by 77mali Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:50 am

I wouldn't risk it. You might get pulled over & then what? In my state you'd certainly get at least a ticket & be paying it on you're insurance for the next few years.

As already stated- why risk messing up your top end? My other concern would be the heat coming out of those shorties @ higher speeds. The manifolds get hot enough even @ idle, so might damage the engine bay, short wires, etc.

But I am the cautious sort.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 am

Like mentioned I would not even risk if the Police there are like here they would impound the car here ........ rent a tow dolly from Uhaul or find a derby friend that would haul it for you.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:27 am

That might be the wrong kind of " RIDE OF THE WEEK!! ". Wink
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:15 pm

I used to drive my challenger with open headers daily. I wouldn't try it these days.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleddogg Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Just do it in 1/4 mile increments Very Happy
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:42 pm

BicknellWelding wrote:I used to drive my challenger with open headers daily. I wouldn't try it these days.

I can see you doing that..Razz
LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

I never knew any harm would come from it. Back in the mid '90's my buddy built a '76 Monte Carlo and needed a exhaust built. He wanted tru duals with no cats. He finally found a place that would do it if it arrived with no cats. We drove it maybe 7or 8 miles on the freeway with open headers (probably part of why I'm half deaf now). He had 3 inch exhaust made with flow masters, it seemed just as loud with the exhaust, just sounded a little different, and came out the back. Very Happy probably not the first 16 second car that sounded like it could run 8's. lol!
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

shorty headers maybe a little risky for the valves, but you can buy inserts for headers that will "difuse" the sound a little and prevent back flow, or just get a couple feet of flex pipe to get you to the exhaust guy.
personally I'll risk driving open headers any day, I mean come on if its not late at night or in the early morning, I'd be willing to wager if a cop pulled me over at my age and I explained the situation, he'd have to be a major @#$#@ to give a guy a ticket and even if he did its not a moving violation so big deal in the grand scheme of things. Plus If I did get a ticket I'd probly drive the rest of the way in 1st gear out of spite.
Guys show up at the local cruise in with open headers regularly, and some on full drag slicks. I think the police are more concerned with kids between 16 and 22 doing this stuff than a 38 year old geezer like myself.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

thanks guys... not really to worried about the cops cause i'm in a rural area,,,but i think i will get some flex pipe just to play it safe on ruining my engine
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:35 pm

carcass, if 38 is a geezer what am I? Holy hell you just made me feel old LOL!
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 am

sorry! Geezer is a good word to describe how I feel these days, my back hurts, its hard to stay in shape, and my eyesight is getting worse.
Point being IMHO a guy could get away with a short jaunt to the muffler man with open headers as an adult if you didnt exploit it. I bet a guy could even call the local police and get some sort of day trip permit for it if you wanted to be careful.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 am

Most local Police (especially in smaller communities) will work with you. When we moved to our town we went to the station because we had to park the moving truck on a side street overnight & there is a parking ban for on street parking after 10pm. They were great to us & are good regular community folks.

I'd be more concerned about State Police, you hardly ever get a break w/ them (speaking from experience).

BTW....@44, you'll feel even more like a Geezer. LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:24 pm

77mali wrote:I'd be more concerned about State Police, you hardly ever get a break w/ them (speaking from experience).

BTW....@44, you'll feel even more like a Geezer. LOL

Well I am outta luck for sure...... I pull outta my drive and BAM theres the state police headquarters LMAO SO better get the Mufflers on before then and @47 I am feelin like a spring chicken........ That is after my 2.5 hour afternoon Nap Sleep Sleep Sleep
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm 47 and feel like I'm still in my 20's. Just a lot less hair on my head...I can't take naps...Don't need them, but maybe I'm just blessed that way...

Me and a buddy drove his 69 Chevelle to the muffler shop years ago with just open headers. The cops came around a couple days later and asked if that was us...Who me? I don't know what you are talking about..Stupid lady neighbor...laughs...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 pm

here at my mom the chief of police is the neighbor but hes cool says if ya dont do anything to "make" him do paper work then im good. if he can look the other way he will
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I drove my 56 Chevy with a 350 in it 15 miles with these headers and a 6" piece of down pipe. Just went really slow and would step on it then coast for a while. It was loud but I figured if I got pulled over I tell the cop to follow me to muffler shop. [url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/194]do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Header10
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 am

20 years ago i drove many cars with open headers and never had a problem. dont think i would try it now.

i did drive this to a car show 2 summers ago with the traps open.
do you guys think any harm will come out of------> 6510
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Sweet Coronet. I'm a Mopar nut at heart...Love that car. What's under the hood?

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:36 pm

WyldeBill66 wrote:Sweet Coronet. I'm a Mopar nut at heart...Love that car. What's under the hood?

pic speaks for itself.....
do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Hemi10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:37 pm

OUCH! Mommy he ain't playin fair!!!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

max wedge... = ...Leg Hump
:<P
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Bruisr wrote:OUCH! Mommy he ain't playin fair!!!

this was another wild ride that i drove.
do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Img_0420
all aliumunum BBC with 16 port injection
do you guys think any harm will come out of------> Img_0418

4" exhaust that exited under the doors
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:56 pm

77mali wrote:max wedge... = ...Leg Hump
:<P

it did not have racing slicks on it, just Nostalgia slicks (not ment to race on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PCcELR94fc

heres the varmit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76aA8SLa4h4
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next